1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you realize you were OFFICIALLY old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SleepyRodriguez, Jun 26, 2019.

1. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

When you tell all the kids 90's music are better than the current one

superfob and Jontro like this.
  2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

****ing hate that ****. I’ll start getting a hangover in the middle of drinking.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Try telling your grown kids about the influence Johnny Carson had on the entertainment industry sometime. They desperately want to say, "Who?" I can see it in their eyes, but they are too polite to embarrass me. Not that they would, but they think they would.

4. body slam

body slam Member

When the music got too loud. I love live music, but I hate not being able to hear the person next to me.

5. Buck Turgidson

This is not for me, but for an oldtimer that works for/with me:

Anyone ever had an abdominal hernia? Anyone ever used what the call a "hernia belt", pre-surgery?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not me. But you're literally... asking for a friend?

7. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Retired Vietnam Vet that lives for free out at a ranch and helps around with things. The VA is ****ing him around 8 ways from Sunday, he's been waiting a month for surgery to fix it, and they say it'll be another month or 2, so I'm just trying to help him not be in constant pain.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, okay, since we're being serious, the belt technique is one I've seen for relatives, with some success. But I hear you on the VA. Anyway, even with the belt, minor random exertions can cause intense pain, from what I've seen. As much as he could lay low until the surgery, that would help of course.

Thank god, haven't had any of those issues yet myself. May yoga guide me through the darkness for a while longer.

Deckard, mikol13, tmoney1101 and 2 others like this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Damn, how old ARE you?

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I bought my wife a pair of reading glasses a few years ago AS A JOKE. Now she can't read without them. She calls them her OLGs (old lady glasses). She bought some for me and I refuse to use them, even though I really do need them when trying to read fine print. I just feel like once I start using them, there's no turning back....

mikol13 and Blatz like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

when i visit my old high school 2 decades later and get mistaken for a senior. i used to get mistaken for a middle schooler back then

arkoe likes this.
  12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

B-Bob, Deckard, Nook and 2 others like this.
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

playing pick up games with bunch of 20 year olds the other day

OmegaSupreme and Jontro like this.
  14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

In the last several weeks I've received 2 separate pamphlets from the Neptune Society.

Unsolicited...

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Consider yourself blessed. I'm been receiving a bi-monthly donation request mailers from the Flat Earth Society. https://www.tfes.org/

16. Pete the Cheat

wtf. Brother?

DonkeyMagic and Andre0087 like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here's my story. It's more of a recognizing that I'm aging yarn than 'I'm old goddammit!'

I had another son in January of 2018. I had decided to take FMLA so I had a paid 12 weeks off of my day job (not my other businesses but the hours on those are flexible plus I was paying people to do the hourly crap that needed to be taken care of) so I had a lot of 'free' time.

I realized that I needed to clean up my act so I could see this kid and my other two sons graduate high school, get married, have kids, etc. I started working out heavily, a combination of weights and bootcamp style group workouts. I also cleaned up my diet. I rapidly got into 'great' shape- by great I mean cardio and physical shape. I felt better, sex was better and more frequent (once my wife could after the baby).

I kept rolling like this and started to feel 'younger'. So I started to revert to habits I had stopped- drinking more and more, hanging out with my buddies at night on the weekend. I started playing video games again, which meant sitting in a chair for hours at my PC. If you have ever had a marathon gaming session, you know this is different from working at a PC. Of course, after about a year, this all started to take it's toll on my health. I was also moving the weight up on the weights, which ended up being an issue.

I got to a point working out where I would get hurt due to the posture/form issues. I threw my back out a few times, hurt my shoulder, my right arm was in constant pain. I thought, ****, I'm going to have to have surgery. So I went to see a sports chiropractor and it turned out that my posture and form working out was completely off. This is where recognizing that I'm aging comes into play. When you're younger, your body can handle the sort of abuse that improper form and poor posture causes. When you're older, not so much. I had to start stretching a ton, dial back my workouts to very light weights to retrain myself. I also had to watch my form and fix my posture.

A few months after I 'fixed' posture/form, I started to think about what else I could do to improve. What else was I missing my whole life? Simply put, it was diet. My wife had been talking about going meat-free for a long time, since she always felt like crap after we had a meat-heavy meal, especially beef. Don't get me wrong, she loves a good steak, but the meat 'hangover' was real to her. So I started to pay attention to how I felt after every meal. I also watched several documentaries and read studies about plant-based diets. It was jaw dropping what I saw and read. Cutting out meat, eggs and dairy was not only more healthy, it has been proven to reverse severe diseases such as heart disease, some forms of cancer, multiple sclerosis, etc, etc. This was all a pretty big paradigm shift but I'm not afraid to try new things so I took a shot at it.

As for drinking, I started having bad hangovers that would last days. This impacted my work/businesses, my relationship with my wife, my health, my personality and attitude. I came home one night so shitfaced that I puked, something I hadn't done in a decade. My wife was pretty upset and I decided to just stop. It wasn't doing anything for me. One or two beers to 'relax' had turned into long drinking sessions that culminated with me having a terrible night's sleep and a bad few following days.

Here's where I am now: I feel great. I feel sharp as a tack, my brain is quick and I remember much more from everything. I am much more mellow, relaxed and happy which profoundly affects my interactions with other people. I sleep better. Much, much better (I track this with my watch), and I need 1-2 hours less sleep a night to feel great. My workout recoveries are much faster. I am putting on more muscle. My skin is clearer. I can breathe better. Sex was never a problem but it's great. I think my hair is actually growing back where it had receded for decades.

Here's the moral of the story. In youth, life is a low-hanging fruit. You can just walk along and snatch up whatever you need. Your reserves are infinite, your vivacity is endless. As you age, you have to work for that same fruit. You have to build that ladder of yourself to reach new levels and make yourself a new standard of low-hanging fruit of life. They say youth is wasted on the young. I disagree with this; when you're young just don't know what you have, but if you didn't experience it, you wouldn't know what you 'lost' as you aged. It should be a motivator for you as you age to reach that level again.

Deckard, OmegaSupreme and boomboom like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This song came out a decade ago... The hot girl is searching for something on Bing.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sleep. If I don't get 8 hours of sleep now I feel like absolute **** in the morning. I don't drink coffee so maybe that's why.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

When I started my current job back in 2007 and realized that my new bosses were younger than me

Deckard and mikol13 like this.