1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Smith, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

You have $100 mm tied up in 3 players that basically do the same thing in a 6 feet 3 - 5 inch two guard/point guard - call it hybrid guard - that are all volume shooters, who don't shoot the ball above average at this stage of their careers- basically 3 chuckers at the same position - just terrible roster allocation of financial resources. All three are getting old and are on long guaranteed contracts, you need to build a team around Westbrook or Harden (provided they were young) not have them both on the same team.

The only way it could work is if JH suddenly dedicated himself to be the old school two guard who plays off RW, ain't going to happen, egos involved, JH wouldn't do it for Chris Paul, and he ain't giving up his dribble routine for RW either. Plus, as long as JH has been playing, this dribbling is how he gets his rhythm. He hasn't proven to be that good at catch and shoot, but he hasn't practiced it much, or embraced it, so who really knows if he could be better at it, provided he bought into the role.

Just a flawed roster with poor utilization of resources tied up into essentially the same player on the court.

2. TheJet

TheJet Member

I don't agree with quite a few of the decisions this team has made over Morey's time here but I've been proven wrong enough times to not assume I know what will happen in the future. And it seems like that's the basis for your entire ire.

I thought he was trash? Middle of the pack isn't trash.

So, according to this most teams never have one great player over the tenure of their GMs? And that doesn't factor in to how you rate them as a GM?

Also, since regular season games constitute the bulk of a season, I'd say the metrics there are absolutely worth noting. Yes, playoff games are a different animal and playoff records offer a different barometer of success, but to ignore regular season performance because it doesn't fit your narrative is just wrong.

How's this for objectivity:
    13 seasons
    10 (11?) playoff appearances
    1 losing season

No titles, and definitely mistakes made along the way, but I wouldn't call the last 13 years "trash".

Your basing your opinion on what you predict will happen.

3. TheJet

TheJet Member

Did you just call Harden and Westbrook basically the same player, and "chuckers"? I've voiced my criticisms of both those guys over the years but damn, man.

Wait, did you consider Kobe and MJ chuckers?

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

That's because you cherry picked a bunch of events in the past and left out all the good. You literally say "we are winning now" in the post I quoted and that's because of the moves we have had made. What did you think was the point of being GM? To win now WHILE he is the GM not care what the team looks like in 20 years when hes gone. There are transactions I question in the past but the fact is we still remained in the mix. For the past decade, more than half the championships were won by a man named Lebron or by a historic Warriors team.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you guys agree that getting rid of Tmac was the right thing to do?
    If not
    Leave

Jake Tower likes this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

another quality post by baskbetballholic, er, I mean Joe Smith.

7. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

enjoy the next decade, you deserve it actually, that's why I juxtaposed the spurs and warriors to show you homers what quality organizations do in the draft, and what real winning is, championships are the only thing that matters in sports!

Something Houston Fans don't really get, because they have had such poor performance over the years in this regard. Houston fans have a losing mentality, so does MDA, in 2017 when the Rockets had the best record in the regular season, right before the playoffs, MDA was already making statements "like this season shouldn't be viewed as a failure, if we don't win it all" same thing with Hinch in 2019, he was making the same statements, this is a loser's mentality, and you practically are sowing the seeds for choking in the playoffs - Houston fans really have been traumatized over the years, because you guys have a loser's mentality.

Win championships because nobody remembers "first or second runner ups" in sports history!

And nobody cares about all your excuses for not winning championships, there are no excuses in life.

Learn that lesson, it might help you navigate life a little better.

Excuses are for losers.

#127 Joe Smith, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. TheJet

TheJet Member

You're either trolling or you're the very definition of a band wagon fan. Either way I'm out.

Enjoy the Lakers/Chiefs/Yankees/.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Need I remind you that the playoffs have not started and the season ain't over yet.

Save it for another time. People are still hanging their hopes on this team.

There is a time for everything.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  10. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I stopped reading at "inherited two of the top 5 players in Yao and Tmac". Neither of these players were really top 5 players as a Rocket. One may argue Yao was still a top 10 player when Morey took over, but Tmac had only one good year left and soon became trash due to injury, maybe not even a top 100 player. A year after that, Yao also got injured and practically ended his career.

Morey didn't inherit anything, he got a mediocre team with no high future picks, no trading assets (the two stars Yao and Tmac all ended their career with major injuries, so they didn't have much trading value).

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boss,

I know you hate it when so called 'fans' put FAKE INFORMATION ABOUT ROCKETS HISTORY

I have a solution. If we can have a separate dead pool list kinda like the Dirty Harry movie that we all love,
    you can immediately remove their thread starting rights and limit their posts.

We should limit the posts of people who don't contribute $ anyways.

Let's make Clutchfans Asgard again, where the fans are Asgardian level Rockets fans

Throw down the truth hammer and ban hammer

@Zboy
    @Os Trigonum
    @Jontro
    @Air Yordan

Air Yordan and Jake Tower like this.
  12. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Take your self righteous ass to whatever team that you actually like's forum. Obviously everyone here finds you annoying.

Roomba and tinman like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

second coming of basketmad

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey is an above average GM, that's it. The real legit GMs are Masai Ujiri, Jerry West, Pat Riley (won a title), Spurs GM, Danny Ainge (won a title), the Bucks GM, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's debatable whether he's better than guys like Presti, or Mark Cuban the GM.

cheke64, LosPollosHermanos and tinman like this.
  15. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Look, I got better things to do than teach you guys basketball theory, or what constitutes a good GM in the NBA, but you guys should really demand higher standards from the franchise you support with your time and resources.

16. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

You've convinced me. I won't attend another game so long as Morey breathes Rocket flavored air.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Joe Smith has spoken.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I remember when people would have your head for saying this in the past, or that the rockets are a on trick pony 3 team, or that James dribble dribble routine is not good long term. None of those points are crazy but the homers on this site are a special bread

19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

look at most teams and their superstars... they acquired them mostly through the draft by being bad (high draft picks) or by being a popular destination (i.e LeBron to LA; kwahi and paul George to LA)
    Very few teams (if any) have been able to obtain superstars without the benefit of having high draft picks or being a popular destination (lakers had both) Morey has been able to do this which in itself is an accomplishment.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While he has not won a championship, Morey has produced winning teams more often than not with them being either contenders or borderline contenders.

He has been a very good GM and there are a few select I would replace him with.

My few complaints with him:

1) Long time infatuation with Melo. Why?? Just why? Again, why????? lol

2) Ryan Anderson contract.

3) Failure to improve the team after they came very close against the Warriors. That was a critical summer and instead of improving the team, it got worse.

4) Lack of diplomacy and talks too much.