1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He is literally perfect for our switching defense. If we get him, our defense is going to be inching towards elite with Him, Covington and PJ Tucker. when the shots aren't falling we need to play elite defense. Last night the team had stretches of this but we cannot expect McLemore to be able to lock down guys. Rivers and Eric are capable of playing elite defense on guards. Without a traditional center our leaky perimeter defense has no fall back plan. We have to load up on guys like MKG. He's free, may as well give it a go.

Yea, i know his reputation as a shooter but it's gotten better over time. Charlotte is a team that is going young and completely has left their vets in the dust.

#521 treyk3, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    joshuaao, Huncho Bean, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

MKG could be worth a look depending on how confident we are he can hit a corner 3 at a decent clip. 34% last year, 29% this year (same as Thabo FYI).

We know he is going to bring elite defense, and capable of perhaps playing small-ball 5 (I think Charlotte did that last year).

If Caboclo doesn't pan out, definitely should give another stretch 5 a look. I've heard Bolden thrown out a lot..maybe worth a look?

joshuaao, Huncho Bean, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We aren't going to let Bruno's development dictate who we pick up. Need depth than can switch. Bruno is going to be here next year if Morey is. Daryl isn't going to let him go again. Too much potential.

D-rock, jcmoon and Firebomb525 like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I read some posts about Tyler Johnson, not sure if i missed someone say this but when his contract was expiring there were rumors about the Rockets having interest in a sign & trade or thinking about a posion pill offer, then it didn't happen and the Nets poison pilled him with a 6M-6M-20M-20M contract that Riley matched.

So, the Rockets like him, i just don't know if we are still interested as today, i think the player would fit cause he can shoot and he's athlethic, decent defender, but with Rivers here i see him kinda redundant and he might want to go where he'll have guaranteed minutes.

mikol13, joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

mikol13, DeBeards, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  6. ilias

ilias Member

He would definitely be an upgrade over Rivers in our rotation. If we decide to start Gordon, I could see Johnson playing 20+ mins a night , but that would come at Austin's expense.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Raising his arms to bother line of sight might of helped. Jumping in front of him would have been nice too.

#527 D-rock, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Biyombo better perimeter/switch defender than Ekpe IMO. Biyombo is also younger, 28 vs. 32.

But beggars can't be choosers.

Harkless, MKG and Bolden should be our priorities however.

joshuaao, Hakeemtheking and treyk3 like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

As much as I like Bolden, it looks like he wasn't claimed on waivers. I do not believe it's realistic to believe we would sign him if we weren't interested in that crazy team friendly contract. He may end up on the Vipers but I don't think he's making a roster if he went unclaimed.

MKG needs to be the main priority right now and from there monitor the buyout market while keeping a spot open for a Markieff (not ideal but he is strong and shooting well from three) or a Harkless if they were to be bought out.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great article but comparing him to Draymond is a stretch. Similar size and defensive tenacity but the one skillset that sets Draymond apart is his passing.

MKG role could be more like smallball Capela - screener/diver, rebounder, rim protector, disruptor, rim runner, dunker + stickier perimeter/switch defender.

mikol13, joshuaao and treyk3 like this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think the article is alluding to the fact that he is Draymond 2.0 in the sense that he was playing out of position and could thrive in a new role. Not in the sense that he is a guy who belongs running an offense. Although it does mention the picknroll with Kemba. that could be interesting with Harden with either taking turns rolling.

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm coming to that realization myself. Such a waste, he is a better fit than even Bruno. Still liken him to a 6'10 Robert Covington with better playmaking and 3ball.

And that contract was perfect.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No Bruno slander here.

I'm the @Williamson of Bruno Boys.

Williamson and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bruno fan myself, always lobbied to keep him AND bring him back.

But that just emphasizes how much I like Bolden's fit.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Biggest contrast between the two.

Every article i've read about Jonah says that he was bullish about not playing the 4 or 5. Bruno is literally willing to do whatever it takes to make it in the NBA. He'll play anything as long as he plays and he'll do it with a smile.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then Bolden should love the Rockets, all the forwards are positionless.

Bolden would be a beast in this wide open offense and switching defense.

SMH

fattz and treyk3 like this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think he'd be great here too, but there seems to be an ego problem. In the NBA, you have to earn your ego. He's going to have to get humbled before he gets a real shot in the league.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree to a certain extent. Playing with swagger and chip on shoulder is great motivator as well.

One of Bolden's best attributes is his ferocity and confidence.

With his skillset, length and athleticism it makes sense for him to be confident. He is coachable IMO.

We need more guys who play with an edge and if they are 6'10 with handles, 7'4 wingspan, disruptive (steals/deflections), 40% 3ball, lob threat, rebound and defend 1-5 then even better.

fattz and treyk3 like this.
  19. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

I don’t doubt any of the positive comments about Bolden, but if he’s that well thought of, why hasn’t Morey signed him yet?
    Who do you think Morey is really after? Is Morey going to wait too long and miss out?

D-rock and fattz like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The fact there has been ZERO Rockets buyout talk is amazing to me. 2 open roster spots and have BIG needs.

Yet, nothing from the insiders and nothing from the Houston media.