1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's like your opinion man.

I'm not even really sold on this trade but the team was not going anywhere as currently constructed and they got a guy who was much needed.

They are also flexible to do other things.

I will take it and I am a big fan of Capela.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

They're a team with two supermaxes and a cash-strapped owner. They need all of the cheap, young talent they can get. At least they aren't quite the oldest team in the NBA anymore.

D-rock, malakas and J Sizzle like this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Is there not a moderator on this forum that can rename this thread title?
    OP: PLEASE RENAME TO A MORE APPROPRIATE TITLE. geezus.

"Clint Capela traded to Hawks; Rockets acquire Robert Covington from T-Wolves"

D-rock, bmelo and fallenphoenix like this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Wood isn't getting traded for anything Houston will give. Probably not Timelord either, as much as I wanted him when I thought Boston was the Capela landing spot. Dedmon makes 13.3, the first year of his 40 million dollar deal. Too much for our owner.

D-rock likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How are they better? Exactly HOW are they better? Covington is a slightly better PJ Tucker.

We already have more wings than we can play.......

We don't matchup with Centers unless you think Harty is good enough.....

IMHO, This trade is for the Lemmings, who will happily cheer for the regular season small ball wins, but fail to realize that in the playoffs we will get OWNED by longer more athletic teams - the GOAL is not regular season success - the GOAL is the ring.

We got further away from it with this trade.

DD

6. andersongo

andersongo Member

What a cheap move. Small time owners.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Capela does not have a history of poor playoff performances, he outplayed Gobert in back to back playoffs and he outplayed Kat in another.

I agree that he did not have more surplus value but he does not have a history of poor playoff performance.

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're easily better. why would the rockets have more wings than they can play when they never replaced the ariza wing to begin with. it's a domino effect. the previous team fit around cp3 not wb. you cater your team to who you are committed to and right now that's wb/harden.

how you dont think adding a all defensive wing over a limited pnr center who didn't fit doesn't make this team better is beyond me. the numbers without capela speak for themselves and there's a long list of evidence of it

I'm glad youre on the other end tbh.

Gray_Jay, roslolian and Sajan like this.
  9. Mr. Space City

I think House will flourish being a backup SF now that the Rockets have a legit 30+ minutes starting caliber SF

And by think, I mean hope.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and roslolian like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Then why is his pt and rebound playoff average 60% of his regular season average? If a dude averages 13-13 in the regular season and then gets 8-7 on lower FG in the playoffs then that's poor performance esp considering how limited he is, he missed putbacks, layups and dunks cuz thats the only thing he does and his FG % still went down. Your examples of Kat and Gobert are actually outliers not the norm.

#830 roslolian, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

56-3 with Capela and CP3 speaks more than than a small sample size against league has beens.

We will not be a competitive team against teams with a quality big......we got worse.....Covington is a good role player, ala Tucker - but he is not going to get you 20 rebounds like Capela can.....

And last time I looked, you need the ball to win, and with our below average 3pt shooting team it matters a lot.....

We traded for small ball - wins in the regular season and MASSIVE FAILURE In the playoffs.

DD

ksny15 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

is cp3 on this team?

robgue and JuNx like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Cant wait for @tinman to see this post ....

Les stole his trophies!

14. mightybosstone

I think it's more likely that RoCo ends up playing PF for them with Tucker at the 5. Whether House moves to the bench or not, I'm not sure RoCo's acquisition impacts that at all. It's still possible that Morey will make a move for a starting center, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if they go with an ultimate small ball lineup even if he does add another big man before the deadline.

15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

16. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

You can talk about fit all you want, but if the Rockets don't add another rotation level big, they have absolutely no chance of getting past the Lakers in the playoffs. They will get eaten alive by that frontline.

Also, they are banking and relying FAR too much on a 34 year old PJ Tucker. You've already seen the age and minutes catching up to him at times this season, it's obvious. Some games he still looks like himself but it's not as consistent as it used to be. If he gets hurt, which is a real possibility, the Rockets are SCREWED. It's way too risky using this strategy with a 34 year old Tucker as your lynchpin- maybe if he were younger it'd be more viable. But as is, at best he's going to be unbelievably worn down as the season drags on, at worst, he gets injured and the Rockets are up **** creek.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

This!

But I'd rather get player like Larry Nance Jr who could provide what Holmes provides but also space floor.

A cheaper version of Nance is Jonah Bolden.

Or find another young Holmes clone.

Like Kenny Wooten who is on 2 way with Knicks.

Same height (6'8), little better wingspan (7'1.5 vs. 7'2), better max vert (36" vs. 42"). And much cheaper.

Besides, SAC loves Holmes and fans there think hes better than Capela. Crazy how fans overrate their own players right?

#837 D-rock, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  18. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Mikal Bridges would be dope

D-rock likes this.
  19. ch44

ch44 Member

No, I'm not. They can't offer $5.8M to 1 player and I didn't imply that. The Rockets were not going to add any extra salary before this trade. Now, they are under the tax enough where they can add up to $5.8M. We don't have an extra advantage over other teams by having more money, the advantage is that we can now be players when before we were NOT going to be.

Some of the spending may come through a trade, where we use a TPE (8 of them, highest is $3.6M). Let's say we acquire someone like Markieff at $3.2M. We still have $2.6M to spend on min salary contracts to fill out the roster.

The Rockets have almost $1.37M left for the MLE. Depending on the players YOS, we can sign multiple players with just that amount because the minimum salary is pro-rated during the season. The 10+ YOS minimum is down to $1.03M, so there isn't a player we can't sign with it. The MLE gives us the advantage of signing 3-4 year contracts as well. Either way, that money will go a long way.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

If EGo hits 35% of his 3's last night Rockets win by 30 instead of 15.

RudyTBag and roslolian like this.