1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Career High 50 Points vs Jazz!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Jan 27, 2020.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gordon is grossly underutilized, and it's more his fault than anybody.

All he usually does is stand around and shoot 3's, nobody forces him to do that. He is a legit versatile scoring option when he is actually attacking the defense and making things happen instead of only shooting. He also has repeatedly shown the ability to be a top notch defender, another thing he slacks off on in the regular season. He's usually far worse than Harden on the defensive end, and doesn't catch the heat for it.

In that conference finals against GS, he was playing like a legit 2 way star, defending well and attacking the rim. We see flashes of it a couple of times a season. I don't expect him to bring that kind of heat on the regular, but 80% of his shots being 3's and terrible defense we usually see is beneath him.

joshuaao and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We have to admit .. . that for once. . . . he was getting someone the calls he should always get
    He is often hacked. . . the difference is tonite they called them

Rocket River

FrontRunner, D-rock, ElDobleK and 5 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly.

4. foggy94

foggy94 Member

yep, in the first 20 games or so of the season when Russ was kinda struggling and Gordon was injured the guy Russ played the most minutes with on the 2nd unit without Harden was Rivers. I don’t think they are a good compliment. Working out the rotations is tricky but having Rivers more with Harden and Gordon with Russ is the way to go I think

joshuaao and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Instead of applauding Morey for being smart enough to lock up a guy who most wouldn't think could drop a 50 piece, we're saying we wish he wadn't locked in to a contract so we could trade him...smh. The dude is a PERFECT addition of shooting, scoring and defending when he's healthy. Glad he's under contract long term. Russ is turning the corner, Gordon is turning the corner, once Harden gets it going this could be special..

joshuaao, D-rock, ElDobleK and 2 others like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think people were mad and complaining a few days ago that we signed Ego too late to trade him this year

Rocket River

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

8. rockets-1994

rockets-1994 Member

And most say you're done by age 31-33. Hell, a lot of players are in their prime at this point in their careers. Thank you so much Eric Gordon.

RocketWalta and D-rock like this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Because for like 3 weeks Rivers couldn't hit anything.

D-rock likes this.
  10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's my concern, I feel like this was a one-off because he never gets those calls otherwise. Not to mention there was just a massive free throw disparity to begin with.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If he could just lose like 5 or 10 pounds... really wish he were a little more consistent, hopefully he starts to be.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I’ve seen enough!
    We must build around EG!
    :D

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Utah oughta be ashamed of themselves for giving up 50 to EG and losing to last night’s Rockets squad. I guess the Rockets aren’t the only team capable of “playing down to the competition.”

Portland revenge game on Wednesday...I’m gonna need them to get slapped up

D-rock likes this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Basketball reference data base has it as only the 4th 50+ point game with 22 or less FGA.

http://bkref.com/tiny/NpoOV

Joining Willie Burton, Adrian Dantley and Kevin Martin.

That was an efficiency masterpiece.

Have to say I’m pretty surprised Harden isn’t on that list. I upped the FGA to 25 just to see how many more names make the list.

http://bkref.com/tiny/cVXjb

With that criteria, Harden leads the way with 3 50+ point games with 25 or less FGA.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Harden makes certain players better than they are offensively. Tucker, Capela, BMac, GG, Ariza, etc.... the 1-dimensional guys. When it comes to jiving with players that can actually flat-out play, like Ego or CP3, he gets in the way. Kills their rhythm. Then you have Russ who has a similar effect... made Oladipo look like a scrub.

Gotta find the happy medium.

Dare I say...

CP3 was RIGHT.

hakeem94 and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Super happy for him, the guy busted his ass from the first game he has been here, this moment is well deserved.

FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This will surely increase the amount of assets and luxury tax saving that Tilman can trade him for.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Him and Buddy Hield's 42.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

interesting take!

20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

How many teams in NBA history have had multiple players score 50 in the same season. I'm sure it's happened, but how many times in the 2000's? I'm sure Russ could still do it this season as well.