1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The off-season truly doesn’t matter. Unless a coach is replaced. Otherwise...

they’ll either do worse.

Or

replenish talent a bit somehow, and lose in the first or second round.

that’s not a hot take. Is what it is. I and many others said as much before the season started.

ghettocheeze and BigShasta like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Looking at that Packers while reading this comment has me confused.

red5rocket, dockerland and BigShasta like this.
  3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes, basically the next 2 years are crippled because of a lot of short-term thinking by BOB and his predecessor at GM.

For example, drafting Fuller in the first round when you already had a superstar wide receiver in Hopkins. Championship caliber teams don't spent multiple first round picks on the same skilled position.

Follow that up with spending 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks to address a single position at left tackle. Sure, you got an all-pro in Tunsil, but the price is so heavy that rest of your team will suffer from glaring holes in years to come.

That's how BOB's tenure of epic failure has gone so far and it can't be fixed overnight even with a new coach.

4. JayZ750

Packers
    Titans
    49ers

yeah... basically the post made no sense.

there’s is lots of data available for SB winning head coaches. Basically Bill Cowherds is the only guy that won 5+ years after first taking the job.

so basically he was completely wrong.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I kinda like Marvin Lewis as our next head coach if we go the way of a veteran coach... I know most will say hell no, might as well stick with Billy Bob... But I think a year away from football reinvigorated him...

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Packers fired their hc and proceeds to go into NFC champiolnship right afterward.

Guy has no head coaching experience and yet has surpass BoB in terms of coaching achievement in a year.

Meanwhile we still have BoB loyalists afraid of firing BoB since theres no "guaranteed better coach out there".

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

dude log off right now lol

red5rocket, javal_lon and gucci888 like this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lol.. I'm saying if we're to scared to get an "inexperienced" hotshot coach like Bienemy..

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn. BOB crapped the bed so badly today that he broke Mr. Scarface.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Packers -- have an all-time QB who could carry almost any team in the playoffs. Their problem was a static coach who is now going to become the Cowboys problem.

Titans -- were stuck in the basement for a decade, but kept drafting well with Henry, Lewan, Conklin, Davis, Jackson, Evans, AJ Brown, etc. Their problem became Mariota who was never the same after his injuries. Then, Vrabel comes and they strike gold with Tannehill trade.

49ers -- Offensive guru Kyle Shanahan agreed to GM John Lynch's vision of building a Super Bowl defensive line first by drafting Armstead, Buckner, Bosa, then adding Ford via free agency. Also drafted Kittle, Ward, Tartt, Deebo. Team was adding talent even in years of downturn. Got Jimmy G for a measly 2nd round pick -- absolute steal.

The common denominator in all of these teams is that they were all competently run front offices who drafted well even in the down years and were quickly able to build a contender once the right coach was hired. The same happened to the Rams with McVay and the Eagles with Pederson.

The problem with the Texans is that they should have fired O'Brien 2 years ago and never let him get anywhere near the GM seat. Now, he's spent 6 straight first round picks on offense only to produce average results.

Recovering from this incompetence is not impossible, but would require the new GM and the new coach to hit homeruns right out the gate.

#3610 ghettocheeze, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Houstunna and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Need Caserio here ASAP.

12. JayZ750

cant change the past.

only address the future.

they need complete overhaul in staff. Clearly won’t happen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Your move Cal.

Texanstradamus and desihooper like this.
  14. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

16. HstnSprtsFan101

I think the most glaring need as far as personnel is finding a pass rush. It was non existent. Unfortunately those guys are expensive and don’t grow on trees. Romeo had no desire to try to create one by sending extra guys or throwing exotic looks. He has to go. I think there is enough talent in the secondary to be solid but not without any sort of pass rush. No Tayshaun Gipson hurt bad today. Just got beat like a red headed step child, simple as that.

I can’t understand for the life of me how an owner that wanted to win, needed a HC, wouldn’t pick up the phone and offer Eric Bieniemy a job. He was masterful.

17. vonbock

vonbock Member

I wonder where all the Tunsil supporters are now. BOb said this trade happened is so we can win now. Same result. Now we have no high level draft picks to look forward too. We have holes to fill which probably will be filled with old free agents or players who their original team didn't want. Result next year, most likely either 1st round playoff loss or 2nd to the titans and we miss the playoffs.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tunsil trade is fine. Texans don't have 3 picks. #1 2020, and #1 and #2 is 2021. You do realize that #1 pick this year is like #26 or something. You are not talking about a High #1. Bust rate is HIGH in the mid to low 20s.

Again, 3 picks. If you lose Roby and Reader, there are 2 - 3rd round picks in 2021 right there.

19. Texanstradamus

Texans might never get the shot they had today this team might not recover from this

20. Texanstradamus

I can see a losing season happening next year 5-11 cause the chances of being this healthy are rare as they come