1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3pt shot whispers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 26, 2019.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Rocket's identity is Harden's iso, team drives to the basket and 3 pointers. Harden's ISO has gotten us many wins, but opponents are blatant with the double teams and daring the rest of Rockets to beat them. At times, I agree we take too many 3's at times, not recognizing a cold streak, but if Rocket's system is going to be stubborn, can we make the stubbornness work more for us?

I imagine every NBA team have a deep knowledge base to draw from (tapes, reports, drills, player's shot profiles). Are there things that can be mined, dusted off and emphasized during practice. If shooting is about reps and muscle memory, are our guys not getting enough 3pt reps? Greater emphasis during practice maybe (try to simulate how opponents play us)? --during practice, the 2nd team practice trapping Harden, or a kickout from Russ, perimeter guys try hitting the 3's.

Shot doctors: Spurs has Chip Engelland, who was credited for helping Kawahi in developing his 3 point shot.

[​IMG]

GSW has Bruce Fraser and Steve Nash as a shooting coach who worked with Curry and KD. Can the rockets get someone? Maybe MDA gives Nash a call. Pay Nash for 10-20 sessions to work with our guys individually. Give suggestions on practice routines from our start role players down to bench guys.

If Giannis is adding a 3pt shot, there's no reason why our perimeter guys can't hit open 3's.

#1 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    napalm06 and BaselineFade like this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

3. TimDuncanDonaut

While I personally like to see more 2's, I've made peace with Rockets not doing it. So if we are going to live or die by the 3's, I prefer we live.

Rocket's defense is middle of the pack, if we play down to bad teams, our offense has to counter it.
    The Christmas game should be a wake up call. Non-Harden Rockets shot just 31.7% in Golden State, and they made 10 of 41 threes.

Strive for dis... :D

[​IMG]

#3 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I like this little tid bit from chronicle....

1. There was a stretch of the season in which teams routinely defended James Harden as the Warriors did on Wednesday. The Nuggets, Clippers, Raptors, Heat and a handful of others also trapped Harden at midcourt, forcing him to give up the ball that far from the rim.

It was a defensive strategy that Gregg Popovich, Erik Spoelstra, Michael Malone and others said they had never seen before this season.

“James has basically forced the whole league to reconsider how to defend him in particular,” Steve Kerr said. “I have seen a lot of innovative stuff out there. Toronto did something interesting with him a few weeks ago, Luke Walton ran a box-and-one the other night with Sacramento -- that’s who James is.”

Then, teams stopped the mid-court traps. They still doubled Harden, but not as soon as he crossed midcourt. They stopped because the Rockets beat that defense.

Russell Westbrook got going by taking the ball in the slot or at the elbow and attacking. Ben McLemore made 3s. The Rockets put up numbers that led teams to try something else.

The Warriors went back to it. The Rockets got great looks, usually from the shooters they want taking those shots. The Rockets misfired horribly.

Some of that was with Westbrook firing up 3s that the Warriors were happy for him to take. He missed all eight of his shots from deep. Clint Capela did not finish well, making just 4 of 9 shots. The Warriors effectively ran P.J. Tucker off the 3-point line, limiting him to just 1 of 4 shooting from deep.

Other than Danuel House Jr., who made 5 of 12 3-pointers (5 of 15 overall), the Rockets around Harden made just 5 of 29 3s. Harden went 6 of 10 from deep. But the Warriors got the ball out of Harden’s hands so far from the rim he rarely had a chance to draw a foul and took just one free throw, his fewest of the season. The Rockets did not shoot well enough to ever tempt the Warriors to change. "

Rockets need to figure out how to run better plays to the basket, and keep there defense abay late in games. I mean i would honestly say take the ball to the basket, or shoot 2's if the 3's are not falling, if they are then let it ride. You cant force things to work sometimes, you have to use other methods to get to the finish line.

D-rock, Easy, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

EG coming back will be a big help, especially if he is healthy, since he tends to drive to the basket if his shot is not falling.

I hate losing to the Warriors but what should be a bigger concern out of this game is the fact the Rockets refuse to be a consistent defensive team. The Rockets of 2 years ago would not have lost this game, simply because they would not have allowed the Warriors to score that easily thus being able to grind out a win on a bad offensive night for them.

If this team doesn't get this through their head, they will have a hard time grinding out wins when it matters.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno if they get the calls in the lane
    Alot of "blocks" green gets are just f*cking hacks

Rocket River

7. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

[​IMG]

my father in law and i watching the game yesterday

Severe Rockets Fan and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

it's like a hoax, we got defeated by a team ranking 15th, DIFF -7.7. there should be a solution. more 3s? or something else.

9. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

No 3 for westbrooks, I dont want he misses it. only allow harden to shoot 3. Pass the ball to caplea to slam dunk. Bench players are not reliable. Try to sign Kenneth Faried or other good shooting accuracy players.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

idk what to say, we're a volume three point shooting team with below average three point shooters

any one not graduated from MIT can tell you this isn't going to work consistently

smp, LosPollosHermanos and DeBeards like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Russ seems to be the only one to have green light for mid range two's. But other guys seems like a no. If MDA isn't budging, my question to him would be, is the team doing all that it can to help anyone not Russ or Harden to up their 3pt %.

12. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the strategy is a good one because you almost embarrass the role players and destroy their confidence with the constant open looks. i guess the good thing about russ is that he can't be embarrassed.

DeBeards likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Better coaching

DeBeards likes this.
  14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Our response to the double is beyond ridiculous. Under this coach, every double team HAS to lead to an open 3. It's like we're choosing to not go for the easy 2 or at least make their secondary defenders sweat. Coach is too predictable and puts our players in embarrassing situations where they have very little options. Did GSW have elite rim protection last night? Nope - there was 1 misfired pass to Tyson and that was that. Every other attempt was to a corner 3. Worst yet, there was something like three consecutive plays where Russ ended up in the corner. It's like this team is not even managed or coached and they're left to figure it out on their own. This coach can't take pressure situations. People rag on Harden and Russ, but it starts with the Coach - he's a choke artist.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I sometimes wonder if we practice 3's. Most players on this team have one job. Make 3's.

The team should be shooting 3's all day and night.
    They should be shooting 3's in dark or bright.
    They should be shooting 3's until they can't think straight.
    They should be shooting 3's until they are great.
    They should be shooting 3's through summer and winter.
    They should be shooting 3's through the increasing urbanization of Toyota Center.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have a 3pt shooting team - we need more guys who can hit them - Gary Clark should be replaced by a big that can shoot 40% from 3pt land - we need better shooting Wings too.....

And our PG can't be shooting 22% - that is most of the problem.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I thought Corey Brewer was on staff as shooting and dribbling coach???

He has been working mostly with Russ since the season started

Nook likes this.
  18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Our problem is the this, the defense knows where are players are since we have zero movement on offense. No curls or screens off the ball, only on ball screens for James and Russell. We need more movement off the ball creating more gaps in the defense for drives and better looking 3s.

ALSO, SOMEONE PLEASE RECOGNIZE THE 3s AREN'T FALLING AND GO TO THE RIM FOR FOUL, AND 1, LAYUP, OR DUNK. If the other team center is doubling Harden there is zero rim protector...

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You might be on to something. Brewer shot better at 3 than Westbrook the past two seasons.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Role players had wide open threes and layups, that is not on Harden or the coach.

Players did not execute plain and simple so GSW never forced to stop doubling Harden.

Fans need to learn the F'ing game before starting up these whinefests.

Rockets need better role players and better bench. Rocket science.

Reeko, BaselineFade and clutchdabear like this.