1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He got schooled by Pop. He got schooled by Kerr last year. He's known for his playoff shortcomings prior to coming here.

Yeah...2018 was a special team, but the talent was elite. You had two legitimate Top 10 players that year + Bzdelik + multiple elite defenders who could switch. That's just lightning in a bottle that doesn't happen often. Not really a comparable scenario to the 2019 or 2020 teams.

3. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Im not based in the U.S so I'm not familliar with Landrys, but he just wrote a book about the importance of the "5% people miss" and he's bragged about how he spots smudges on windows of his restaurant, or has told his store managers they should put more pepporoni on the pizza because you can't skimp out on the little things. If that is his attitude, it's a shame it doesn't extend to the sports franchise he just bought for 2.2 billion dollars because quibbling over $1m on your Head Coach while you're in your championship window seems suboptimal.​

darksoul35 and D-rock like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

[​IMG]

Imagine wanting to not pay this guy.

ThatBoyNick and Nook like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow Adam Sandler and Defensive Antoni.

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

i remember people was posing this question in the media and on Clutchfan, bout wpuld all this be a distraction lol.

i replyed its would. this a vet team, coach n players that havent won a ring...no way they wpuld let something dumb ruin a legit chqnce to when a ring...since this is wide open..u dont know what super duper team may form again next year. like that whole notion dumb founded me. guys dont have too many years left on thier careers to be throwing away seasons

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Everyone's assuming that Tilman is the one forcing out D'Antoni, but I wouldn't be surprised if Morey is also interested in moving on from Mike, given some of what I think we heard last year.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And the Safdie Brothers, put some respect on four GOATs.

J Sizzle and daywalker02 like this.
  9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I don’t think Tilman would have been successful in any other business. The restaurant industry uniquely rewards those who lack the ability to think long term due to the culture and laws around employee turn over and pay.

It’s hilarious watching him apply those same principles to managing a real business.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

negative ima big tillman probably gonna be a diffcult owner(jerry jones, cuban style) i almost hate everything he is doing...with the few exceptions of trading old broke cp3, n not extending mike. make him prove it

true mike not a bad coach..but thats a low bar u setting. how bout he be a great coach. which he isnt. again this a fesults league. mike has choke some winnable games here. u cant get a pass for that.

only thing with mda situation i think he ****ed up on is the staff he put around mike after the coaxhing staff firing. Im all good with u firing his staff but u should of brought n guys that were high profile that cpuld of replaced him in season...like what the lakers did. it was no point in firing his staff if u was just gonna replace him with more b teamers

12. gotsis

gotsis Member

Mixed about this one, I like dantoni, but he has had some rough playoffs blunders.

On the other hand, the reasoning behind this sucks, at seems to be purely financial and makes me worry about the future post Harden era.

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

its def not morey..lol. morey n mike are a perfect match

darksoul35, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is pretty funny considering he's famous for skimping on the little things. I've read numerous examples over the years, but just to give you a quick example, here's the first article that popped up on google -
    It's supposed to be complimentary, and in the context of his restaurant business, it is. He's made his fortune by skimping out on the little things, though, and it should come as no surprise that he's quibbling over $1 million.

D-rock likes this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

I am very happy with this news, even if the next coach doesn't work out. He's just not the coach for a group who needs discipline and strong X's and O's at least to get guys quality shots in the play-offs. You cannot just wing it when you are lead by a guy who tends to break down as the play-offs go on, gets away with being sloppy and slow to get back on defense - as a group this is a problem. Plus he's a coach who doesn't use time-outs well and or doesn't appreciate the value. That's unacceptable in my opinion. Short rotations have also killed us. I like to take a chance on a young guy like Cassell or another assistant out there for a top team. Maybe a Nick Nurse / Popovich assistant.

16. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Tilman is the 3rd worst owner in the league behind Sarver and Dolan

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. That’s really dumbing it down to say he hasn’t done much more than Mchale just because both peaks were the conference finals.

D-rock likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Silliness, replace Tilman instead

darksoul35 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I wonder if the next coach will be afforded the luxury of a full staff.

BaselineFade, D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder who the new coach will be. Now that the Rockets have Russ, they need someone that can maximize his talent. Harden can play for anyone.