1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Marisnick traded to Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If the Astros added a player like Buxton, I'd expect Reddick to either find a new home or be part of the package to the Twins.

Brantley, I'd think, is staying BUT his value has never been higher.

King1 likes this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I can't see them trading Brantley

desihooper and everyday eddie like this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Aww man. Jake Marisnick was one of my favorites. He was a clubhouse favorite too. Going to miss him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Another off season trade with the Mets. Hmm, I guess we had already scouted there farm plenty. Anyone think they can grade last year's?

Was it JD Davis for minor league players Luis Santana and Ross Adolph, and maybe someone else?

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Since the prospects Houston received were all in the lower minors, it’s too early to grade the trade, but here’s where things stand:

JD Davis established himself as a quality major league bat, posting 2.4 fWAR, 22 HR, and a .307/.369/.527 line over 453 pa. The Mets are surely very pleased with that outcome and likely view him as a solid long term contributor, although he still profiles to fall short of being a star caliber player.

Ross Adolph had an up and down year, although he was an above average hitter across A and High A. His k rate skyrocketed and he did not hit for much power, but the potential is still there for him to be a good player. He is outside the Org Top 30 as a high ceiling floor grade 40 guy. He’s still in position to break out if he reaches AA next season and hits well there.

Luis Santana had a mildly disappointing season, posting a wRC+ of 112 in short season A ball. His bb/k numbers fell from his time with the Mets but overall he still rarely struck out and walked a decent amount. Still only 20, he is one to watch in Quad Cities next year. He’s in the back end of the Org Top 30 and a low end grade 45 guy until he adds power and shows success at higher levels.

Scott Manea put up numbers similar to his 2018 season, and at a higher level. He will likely be in AA most of next season and will have to show lots of success there to get on the map. As a prospect with no pedigree, his stats have to speak for him and until he blows up AA he is a non-prospect.

None of the prospects Houston received moved their stock dramatically, while Davis raised his stock quite a bit, so for now I would say Houston “lost” the trade. But there’s a lot of time left for those 3 guys.

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Gonna miss Jake but Astros got a much better return than I expected and he was gone after this season anyways.

Trust in Luhnow

IowaAstro likes this.
  8. AB423

AB423 Member

Gonna miss his hustle and always putting his body on the line.. in the outfield and at home plate.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  9. vince

vince Member

Hated to lose JD Davis last off season, but the dude deserved to play full time (at least with regularity). Sure, Astros could have kept him and he’d of helped a ton during Correa’s injuries; but it was a nice gesture by the Astros.

JD Davis had been ready for a while, he just needed AB’s, and that was going to be questionable here in Houston. With irregular playing time, his stock might have come down.

10. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Had to make room for the new upcoming players. I love Jake and his outfielding was superb but his batting has been lackluster.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'll miss Jake.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

How could you not like Corona

13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It depends. Do you believe in fangraphs' projection that he'll regress to something like a .289/.350/.466? He'll turn 33 next season, what if he starts getting injured again? Do they believe in a fulltime Springer/Tucker/Straw outfield?

What would come back in this hypothetical trade, besides relief from 16 million in salary?

Sad to see Jake go. Loved the hustle and D. Too bad he could never extend his usual one month of killing the ball to all season. At least the prospects coming back are intriguing.

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Regression likely... or he turns out to have the career arc we have seen Charlie Morton now have.

He's really not that costly.

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

OK. Do the Astros have a batting guru who fixes reclamation projects, like Brent Strom on the pitching side? It would've been nice for him to show up last postseason... The last two years' trend is good for Brantley, but I expect 33 year olds to regress, not improve.

I don't expect the Astros to trade him. I just don't think the idea is laughably impossible, and you could make the argument that probably his peak was last year. FWIW, I didn't want the Astros to get rid of Morton either. Not when they knew Keuchel was as good as gone, and then learning McCullers would be out for the year.

As for 16 million bucks being not that much, probably true for the 4.5 WAR player he was last year. Still doesn't mean they can afford it---not with Springer potentially getting 25M/yr plus in FA----nor is it a good deal for a 2 WAR player. The Astros aren't the Yankees and don't have the Yankees revenue stream.

Getting rid of Reddick is probably a better choice on that front; the question is who'll do that, and what'll it take?

16. Nook

Nook Member

JD Davis just doesn't have any position to play where he is decent defensively. He showed given 500 at bats he can hit well but his issues are largely the same when we dealt him.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was this a move to clear up some salary for a potential free agent signing?

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Clearing salary was certainly a part of it. But making room for Straw/Toro/Tucker and acquiring 2 prospects they liked both contributed to the decision. If Straw hadn’t impressed Luhnow/Hinch this season this trade doesn’t happen.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

No statement from Jake to us Astros fans yet? It seems like we maybe got the better end of the deal. It's possible Jake's change of scenery could mean he becomes a more productive player. I would assume they are going to start him? Maybe being an every day player is just what he needs to go to the next level? He wasn't an impact for us in the playoffs but he also wasn't played much at all. He started off the year on fire but he seemed to digress back to his usual self after that. I wish him the best and he will be missed. I hope he realizes his potential as a Met. But, I also want us to win the trade so... .

RustyHarden likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member