1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey’s Successor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13BeardsIN1, Oct 18, 2019.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I really don't want to see Morey get fired, not because I think Morey is the best GM in the league (he has his flaws) but because I'm afraid of who he will be replaced with by Tilman.

Tilman seems like he's a fan of nepotism and is trying to turn the Rockets into the Buss Lakers. I would not be surprised if he puts one of his kids in charge of the Rockets. Tilman wants to be famous, that part is clear. He spends more time on tv shows and making celebrity appearances than actually caring about what's happening to this team (as long as he gets his bottom line).

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

I don’t like what morey did in summer, acquired those new free agents.
    Clippers acquired 2 Kawhi.

Lurch likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

But you actually are. Thats why that crazy Church was able to make parties and celebrations right across the wake of soldiers. Did somebody sue those guys? No. Because they are within their rights to do so.

We have seen so many instances of this like critics able to make negative reviews or students able to protest school tuition fees. Or even this site, people can criticize Tillman without him shutting down CF. Vegans rally right outside a meat shop and dont have the cops turned on them when neither the rallyists nor the shop is part of the govt.

If freedom of speech just applies to the govt and nothing more then why are all these allowed? I already showed you the link that has the UN declaration of human rights. Even if you think that solely the first Amendment doesnt give freedom of speech then as a member of the UN the US is also expected to uphold article 19 of human rights.

Not only that your boss has to have a legit reason for firing you he can't fire you just cuz he doesn't like your hair that morning or he found out you supported Trump etc. He could be taken to court in that case so if Morey got fired just because of the tweet he can still take Rox and NBA to court. If you remember Royce White tried to do the same thing once he got cut except he lost the case cuz he didnt attend practices and played like ass during games.

#83 roslolian, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Ramo$e likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Read this: https://www.business2community.com/social-media/7-things-the-first-amendment-doesnt-protect-0129234

7 Things the First Amendment Doesn’t Protect

This part pertains directly to our disagreement.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

That says in the conduct of their duties meaning if Morey started rallying when he should be working that may be grounds for his termination.

He sent the tweet not while at work but while at home in his own free time so that's not in the conduct of his duties. The article also quoted that if you work in a regulated industry such as insurance or healthcare but the NBA is neither of those industries it isn't heavily regulated at all other than drug use of athletes so all those regulations like FINRA or w/e don't apply. NBA is an entertainment industry so it is a lot less regulated than those in the article.

The article you quoted just bolsters the case of Morey not being fired due to his right to free speech lol

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Be prepared for the franchise to be run into the ground if this is the case.

RocketsFido likes this.
  7. macan

macan Member

Morey is overrated

Lurch and pippsux like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Morey needs more Danuel House, Robert Covington type players on the team. The team needs more players like them to play Power Forward to stretch the floor.

9. vick

vick Member

Tilman can fire Morey, then save money by making his kids co-general managers.

RocketsFido likes this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morey solved the Worries dynasty when no one else could and created a championship strategy. Rox have consistently outperformed their expected results due to Harden and math and were the ONLY team to threaten the historic Worriers. Morey and the Rox were a fluke 3p shooting 20 minute nightmare away from a potential championship. Included in that nigthmare was at least 7 pts stolen from Harden and the Rox. Morey succeeded despite the championship goal falling short.

Here is the issue now... almost half the league now is taking 32+ 3's per game now. The volume has increased so much across the league that the mathematical advantages are diminished. We need new math that will help Rox to again be "the smartest guys in the room" and find an advantage because our roster is trash outside of ~4 players. This is where Morey will have to prove his worth again. Can he again create a championship winning formula after the league has copy cat'd your previous invention. Where/what is the new invention to take the league by surprise? I have faith in Morey and his team to cook something up so long as the Tilmans let him be and stay out of his way.

bmelo and topfive like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Then you didn't read the entire article.

How many times have people been fired for saying something on social media their employer didn't like ? More than you can count. It happens all the time.

The first amendment does not grant you immunity from what you say. You cant be prosecuted accept in very limited cases (Fire in a theatre) but you aren't immune from consequences outside of government.

We had an NBA owner forced to sell his team …. for what he said. What happened to his free speech ?

A Patriots cheerleader kicked off the squad for drawing a swastika on a sleeping drunk ands posting it on social media.

9 police officers fired for …. https://www.insidehighered.com/news...-police-officers-offensive-social-media-posts

Mormon professor says she was fired for pro-LGBT post https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/us/byu-adjunct-lgbt-facebook-post/index.html

Comedian Gilbert Gottfried fired as voice of Aflac duck - for his offensive and unfunny tweets about the Japanese tsunami like this: "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now.'" http://edition.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/03/14/georgia.aflac.duck/index.html

Alicia Ann Lynch, aka @SomeSKANKinMI, thought it would be funny to dress like a Boston Marathon victim for Halloween - Fired

Carly McKinney - Naked , Wet and Stoned - Link

Kathy Griffin fired by CNN for the fake beheaded President Trump.

Rashard Mendenhall over 9/11 tweets lost endorsement deals with Champion and the Steelers kicked him off the team

Remember this ?! Houston Rockets digital communications manager Chad Shanks fired for that one ….

[​IMG]

The bottom line is that while speech is protected - YOU CAN SAY IT! You aren't immune from the consequences of your statements.

No , Morey's not overrated …. He might be the best GM in the league. Name another with his list of accomplishments while being handcuffed by a taco truck owner ?

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , the prospects of replacing Morey with Junior Fertitta make me cringe.

I do think he is one of the better GM's in the league - His biggest flaw IMO is drafting , particularly first round but there's method to that madness …. Think of the potential of #BeWell …. but that dude cratered himself.

Morey is willing to take big chances that others aren't.

RocketsFido likes this.
  13. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I stopped drinking the koolaid on Morey ten years ago when he went out and got that POS Meta World Peace. which, by the way, did nothing to improve the fortunes of the Rox. So yeah, I don't give him a pass for being "the smartest guy in the room".

bmelo and macan like this.