1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Scottie Pippen and Reggie Miller overlooked or overrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Are we talking about playing the game of basketball or commentating?

Pippen top 5....top 10? He isn't even top 100, IMO.

However, he is a top 5 sidekick.

Miller was the Pacers for about 10 years and was an amazing shooter. But I wouldn't say he's underrated. Not top 100 player, but certainly a top 20 shooter. However, he's the worst commentator. Just ask Drryl Murley.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What would be different for Reggie. His game would exactly the same. It's not like Reggie could create his own shot. He just ran around screens and jacked 3 pointers. Today's rules don't effect Reggie and his style of play other than they would let people grab his shirt as much. He would be like Curry without the range, shooting percentage or the ability to shoot off the dribble.

Lovemachine2000 and Zboy like this.
  3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Both deserve the praise they got as players (except for Scottie's Rockets stint), but as humans, they're the types who try to be people's friends at lunch or class downtime but are too annoying to be invited anywhere. Sorry dude, your invitation must've gotten lost!

plutoblue11 likes this.
  4. smp

smp Member

Jacking up 3’s was frowned upon back then. He would have a green light now to shoot 3’s at will. The game is completely different now.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He actually had the green light to jack up 3s even back then. That Pacers offense needed Smits and Miller to score for them to grind out physical games they played. The more Miller and Smits scored, the better their chances of winning.

The problem is that he was not very good at creating his own space when he had the ball.

He needed to run off the picks and then had to have the ball delivered to him on time to be able to get a clean look.

So if you could chase him through picks, he wouldn't be able to jack up 3s all game, at least not open ones. It's not like in today's game he would be able to dribble and create his own shot all of a sudden.

Miller was a limited player.

rockbox likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty similar to Klay, IMO.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Offense yes.

But Klay is a much better defender.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. smp

smp Member

I think you are severely under rating Reggie Miller. I guess that’s the point the OP was making.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reggie was no slouch on D. I wouldn’t say Klay was much better, personally.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Scouring YouTube through the popular NBA channel and blogs about top 5 SF, he's listed as high as 1 or 4-5, in videos that don't list him at all. The many comments fall into "...Bulls haters ...millenials know nothing about basketball...like to disrespect Pippen to build up MJ...Pippen won alot more championship than these guys and would've been great player on his own time."

Accomplishment wise, there's absolutely no quantifiable argument to put Pippen over Bird, LBJ, Dr. J, KD, and Havlicek. Pippen might be the greatest defender ever, but all of the players on that list are no slouches, defensively. While, every player above are greater offensive scorers than Pippen ever was. Pippen's greatest scoring season was a below average year for these other players, while they weren't always the go-to guy. Pippen's not even a top 20 small forward scorer.

So, I also have to ask what puts Pippen, ahead Baylor, Dantley, Rick Barry, and Nique.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Klay is actually one of the better SG defenders in the league. Reggie wasn't a terrible defender, but I'd never call him any above ok on that end.

T-Mac, Ginobili, and Mitch were better defenders than Miller with higher scoring averages and assists, but often ranked below him.

Zboy likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No I am not. I have watched him play (his career, not just his tail end) and I have listed his limitations as a player, which he had many of.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Klay has a little more hop and is a slight better athletes.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The player that some people think Reggie Miller was, would probably have been Drazen Petrovic if he had still been alive.

Petrovic was a better defender, better off the dribble, and IMO would have gone on to have a better shooting career than Miller as well.

Lovemachine2000 and plutoblue11 like this.
  15. smp

smp Member

Come on man. I watched his whole career too. He’s 21st all time points leader playing as a guard in the late 80’s through the 90’s. Look at the list of players who scored more, especially from that era. There’s only 20 people ahead of him and many are bigs or players who played in higher scoring eras. He’s one the highest scoring guards ever and you are acting like he’s a scrub or something.

He would kill in today’s game. He killed back in the 90’s when guards weren’t allowed to shoot 3’s like they are today. Yes, he shot more 3’s back then than most players, but not at the level he would now.

I do agree with what you are saying about limitations though. He was a catch and shoot player. He scored more than 25,000 points and didn’t need to dominate the ball to get it done.

He would thrive in the NBA today even more than he did in the grind it out, points in the paint, defensive 90’s.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

First, those stats are about his longevity of his career (over 18 seasons) which I have already addressed. His numbers on per season basis are not that impressive.

Second, your assumption that he would have been even more deadly in today's NBA is based on the style and tempo of the game today. Sure if someone is feeding him the ball 25% more a game than back then, his numbers would go up. But that applies to any other shooter as well (Peja for example).

However, his inability to create space for himself would have been same today as it had been when he played. He isnt going to develop Harden or Curry's ability to create space for the three just because he started playing today. If he could have done this back then, Larry Brown would have gladly let him do it and score 30pt per game. Larry was forced to play the style his team played because that is the most offense he could squeeze out of his star players (Miller and Smits) and the team.

#56 Zboy, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Scottie sucked here but come on in his prime he was a beast

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I believe this, I can't see how Reggie putting up 30 a night in league more Pippen type defenders, like Siakam, Kawhi, Anunoby, Jaylen Brown, Smart, and you got be crafty and good dribbling moves for defenders, like that.

Zboy likes this.
  19. WestendMassive

Reggie Miller wasn't even the best player in his family. I'd rate Cheryl over him.

Scottie Pippen sucks too.

Both hella overrated

20. TimDuncanDonaut

When people have best players conversations (a given position) or best players of a given decade, their names don't always come up. This may be why underrated question sometimes come up.

But both guys are in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Their jersey numbers are retired. So they are recognized and appreciated by their peers and franchise. Since they've gotten their recognition, I say it's about right. Not too much over or under.

plutoblue11 likes this.