1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does The crowd make games worse?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

@Nick is right. My father was (is) a huge Rockets fan and back in the 45 years ago because of his background became friends with a lot of players and management around the team as they ran in similar circles. The Rockets haven’t always drawn well. There were some periods in the 70’s where they actually gave my father hundreds of tickets a game to give out free just to fill seats and help the team valuation. As long as the people showed up and the tickets were given away discreetly he could basically have as many as he wanted. There were some periods around phi slama jama when ticket sales/popularity would increase.

I asked my dad about the Toyota Center experience compares to the Summit. He said the issue isn’t ticket sales or really bodies in the seats. He said that Rockets fans used to be grittier and more blue collar. He said there used to be a lot more black fans in attendance as well and a lot die hards. It wasn’t really family friendly.... but it made for a great engaged and loud crowd. The Summit was a dump but it had atmosphere. He doesn’t even go to the Toyota Center much because the experience is too sterile and there is no sense of unity.
    I thought I would share, because I found it interesting. He has been a Rockets fan since the last year in San Diego and used to make at least 25 games a year for over 40 years.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The summit was awesome
    You could park across 59 and walking the bridge to get there

they made it a church cause it’s a biblical pure place
    @Reeko

Reeko likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

the current location must have been a library or an old folks home before before TC was built...the atmosphere is about the same

4. tinman

Supporting Member

It’s next to all those oil and gas companies

the summit was closer to the normal people

5. ballsohard

ballsohard Member

He is but it's time to pass the torch bruh

6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Toyota center is in a really bad location. Noone want to fight traffic just to pay for parking to watch the Rockets lose by 10 and getting charged $15 per beer.

7. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Dim the lights in the arena ala Staples.... switch the corporate seats opposite of TV camera. New commentary also (Bill and Bull are old and boring)

Reeko likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lakewood kept the locker room in tact. I have family that work there and they took me down to see it.

tinman and CRJ713 like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

It's in a great location. Houston is starting to condense and the population growth has doubled inside the loop.

10. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

It's extremely inconvenience just to even go to downtown.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

certainly isn't an issue for minute maid which is right next door. nor is it an issue for nrg

#71 YOLO, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    CK Johnson likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

Maybe, if you live in the woodlands. Takes me 20 mins.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

That’s biblical brother

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bill is washed as a commentator...Bull has about as much charisma as a smelly gym sock...no words need to be said for Clyde

CRJ713 likes this.
  15. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I think the crowd has been better this year, in large part due to the energy Russ brings. The empty seats annoy me too, but there's a clear way to fix it ... go to the game and get loud. If it bothers you enough, do something about it!

CK Johnson likes this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

a 50% filled memphis arena made more noise (specifically on Ja's nice plays) than TC

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Is it just me or did prices go up considerably this season? I know concessions and team gear has always been high, but holy ****, I paid $7.50 for a regular sized coke. I rarely get **** at the games but I was shocked that the price went up by almost $2. Shirts are now $40, I could of sworn they use to be $30 last year. Maybe I'm just crazy.

tinman likes this.
  18. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I was lucky enough to get to go to game 5 of the WCF in 2018 against the warriors. Obviously I was pumped for this so I was standing up a lot during big moments, being loud, just trying to give our guys an advantage.

The dude behind me got upset with me for standing up!!! He said something like "can you sit down for one second, I can't see the game!" all aggressively towards me. I could not believe it, I mean I wasn't swearing, being obnoxious, wasn't drunk or anything. I was just excited for the team and excited to be there. I'm not a confrontational person, but I couldn't help it, so i told him "it's the west finals. If you want to see the game, YOU stand up". I kinda regret engaging with that guy, but I feel like I wasn't doing anything wrong given the circumstances.

Anyways, apologies for the rant, but this was just another example of the Toyota center crowd being detached from the team, even in crucial games. That was really disappointing for me as a rox fan.

Reeko and CRJ713 like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

its $5 for bottled water

and the vintage logo shirts (aka pure) are $40+

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

worst part about going to games is getting in and out of the garage.

takes 20 minutes at least to park and if you wait until the buzzer at the end and don't stand up in a blow out and finish in the concourse, you're looking at an hour to leave that hell-scape.

i wouldn't use the garage but I'm already paying as the team forces them on specific ticket sales.

I don't think the crowd issue is unique to Houston. People just spend so much time staring at their phones everywhere they go now. I can usually hear everyone's personal conversations surrounding me because the arena is so quiet.