1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is 6 games too small of a sample size?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Nov 4, 2019.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I ask because I'm right on the edge of panic mode but not sure if it's too early.

I mean we did start off slow last season too.

Do the 6 games we've already played tell us enough about this year's team?

Personally, I think things will eventually work themselves out but there are definitely issues that shouldn't be ignored.

hakeem94 and Lawlruschang like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

The defense is a real concern, but overall I def dont think its time to panic. The only people panicking are the ones who love to complain and usually dont know what they are talking about.

xaos, Hakeemtheking, tc0330 and 6 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

hou started last season with melo, mcw, ennis expected to be rotational guys. add in chriss/knight for "depth"

the rockets brought the same team back from a year ago minus 1 core player. starting this year the way it has in no way should be related to a year ago. of course it's early, but hou has some real problems that need to be addressed. If/when that happens is anyone's guess

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Game 7 will tell us everything we need to know about the season.

And don’t fret, last night’s loss was on me and @DreamShook ... an aberration that can be fixed, :)

... ‘er, maybe it was a superstition that can’t be fixed. :(

hakeem94 and juanm34 like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No it's not.

Harden comes in every season out of shape and it takes him a few weeks to get it together.

He's the leader of the team and someone I've been following and rooting for since his freshman year at ASU.

He'll get it together and so will the team, but this is just disgraceful.

Tilman makes everything worse for me because he spent all offseason talking about his stupid book and basically threw MDA under the bus. This team has a lot of issues as a culture now due to the Fs in charge.

The team has holes and I predict we will trade Capela to fill them while probably creating some new ones.

kjayp, Sadboy, Highlyrated and 2 others like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Unlike last year...this team brought back essentially the same entire rotation. They won't be re-tooling the roster like they did, and they aren't getting Bzdelik back to fix everything, obviously.

6 is a small sample size, and I'm sure the defense will get somewhat better in time (because it cannot possibly be worse), but overall...this looks like what the team mostly is this season. I'm pretty sure Harden and Gordon will fix their offense, but the defense looks like it's going to be very bad regardless.

s3ts and Gray_Jay like this.
  7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

After the first quarter of the season we'll have a good indicator of things.

Mazulis and HP3 like this.
  8. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

On the defensive end, I would panic. The effort on that end is embarrassing. Either they stopped listening to the coach or they think they just need to turn it on for one quarter. Either way, building on bad habits is not the way to becoming a contender.

Hakeemtheking and Gray_Jay like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

"We're not in trouble but if we think we're not in trouble then we're in trouble."

#9 J.R., Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    apollo33 and Ketchup&Mustard like this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yes....harden, eric Gordon, and even capela are overweight.....they got paid and are drinking crystal in the off season......once they get cut up, we'll be better...….our entire team is built around harden dominating which he cant do cuz he's fat for an NBA player....

that's my theory at least.

we sucked at the beginning of last year too...

and no it wasn't all melo.

EG, harden, and CP sucked.

too much booze.

12. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

It is but honestly, fans in general just overreact and like to judge things in the short term.

Truth is, you take this small sample size as indicators for things to come - and then start seeing how those indicators (like our currently atrocious defense) play out over the course of the next 10-20 games or so, then make adjustments.

Again, we've added a huge piece and shuffled our rotation again - and that requires adjustment - so you just kind of live with the fact that we may be temporarily miserable until we see the flaws become obvious with more and more data.

pr0wler likes this.
  13. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Tilman is not a basketball guy and needs to be hands off. Let the pros be pros.

MrSabotage and treyk3 like this.
  14. rockets13champs

It’s a small sample size give is a few more weeks before u panic. But we gotta get legs back soon man. And definitely heart

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

On the plus side, the last time we started 3-3 with MDA we won 55 games in his first year as head coach. We ranked 2nd in PPG but 26th in opponent PPG by year's end.

On the bad side, we went 15-2 in the month of December that season to help get to 55-27. I don't think this team will have the ability to churn out a month like that this year, given the landscape of the NBA.

16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It's more than 6 games. Their defense was atrocious in the preseason as well.

I expect them to be able to shoot at some point. Gordon, Harden will eventually start knocking down some of those threes. Their defense? I'm not so sure. If the stats are right, they're forcing opponents to shoot where they want them to; they just aren't hustling to make sure those shots are well-contested shots. Which is an effort problem. Well, in addition to this team being woefully undersized.

As far as fixing the defense, I'm puzzled how they're going to do it. Other than min contract scrap heap remodels, they aren't adding anyone. They are at the luxury tax threshold, they won't spend all of their MLE, and their best chance to take back salary wouldn't resign with the Rockets. They can't trade Gordon due to how asinine the timing of the transaction was, they shouldn't trade Clint, and they have, what? One 1st rounder they can move?

How exactly is this team going to be fixed, short of the players deciding to start giving a $hit about their coach, their effort, and their pride?

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I’ve seen enough..........
    We suck!

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Gordon and Harden suck ass that is all.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, it is plenty of time - what I would have hoped is we saw some solutions but IMHO, you have players who don't fit together on the floor, who have terrible habits that augment that deficiency.

Westbrook is way worse than CP3 for this team.

DD

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Bzdelik was a huge loss (again).