1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

HOUSTON — More than an hour after José Altuve won the Astros the pennant, the party in the Houston clubhouse still raged. Rightfielder Josh Reddick crushed Budweisers. Starter Gerrit Cole smoked a cigar. Shortstop Carlos Correa gazed lovingly at the American League championship trophy.

And in the center of the room, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of three female reporters, including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet, and yelled, half a dozen times, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f------ glad we got Osuna!”

so far as to say that he thought the deal could “actually turn out to be a positive down the road” because it would “raise awareness.”

But in truth, the Astros' front office acts as if it is tired of being yelled at about this subject. They want to be allowed to play their baseball games and pop their champagne without being forced to think about anything that happened away from the ballpark. They want to be allowed to talk about Osuna the way third baseman Alex Bregman did before the series began, when he called him “a guy you want on the mound for you.”

Houston is not the only team that used assault as a market inefficiency. In October 2015, Aroldis Chapman allegedly choked his girlfriend, Cristina Barnea, then fired a gun eight times into the wall of his garage. Police said there was not enough evidence to charge him with a crime, but the league suspended him 30 games. The Reds had agreed to trade him to the Dodgers, but L.A. pulled out in wake of the allegations. Instead Cincinnati flipped him to the Yankees for four unremarkable prospects. When New York fell out of contention, it shipped Chapman to the Cubs, with whom he won the World Series. The Yankees received Gleyber Torres, the breakout star of the postseason, in return; that offseason, New York signed Chapman for five years and $86 million. After Osuna blew Game 6 on Saturday, Chapman blew it right back in the bottom of the ninth.

A year after the assault, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner considered the fallout. “He admitted he messed up,” he told USA Today. “He paid the penalty. Sooner or later, we forget, right?”

No. Sooner or later, they forget. No matter what Taubman thinks about it, the rest of us can choose to remember for as long as we want.

2. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I dont get it

TheRealAllpro and jcf like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

lulz ... odd timing for sure.

How many beers in?

[​IMG]

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Maybe he was being sarcastic....

5. SemisolidSnake

The only person I see Brandon Taubman "under fire" from is the author of this editorial, Stephanie Apstein. Yeah, I read the whole article. This lady has an axe to grind and seems to think that she might as well use a zero-context comment during a drunken celebration to make a big huff about a story that's been settled for a year and then blow it up into the bigger commentary she wanted to write about in the first place.

This isn't news. There isn't even any actual outrage to report. She's inventing it in the title to serve her narrative.

Edit: I thought to check afterwards, but the title of this thread is not even the title of the article. So the creator of this thread is being deceptive. This is just an editorial, and a bad one at that. This thread title is inflammatory, considering there is nothing true about it, unless you consider one columnist at SI's opinion to be "under fire."

#5 SemisolidSnake, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Bearded13, napalm06, Dgn1 and 12 others like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Twitter (unsurprisingly) wants him fired.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is a non-story. Trying to drum up something in light of the winning. Like JR said though, weird timing after he just blew a lead.

8. SemisolidSnake

Unsurprisingly, indeed. I made a few edits to my post after you quoted. I want this thread fired.

donkeypunch and J.R. like this.
  9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

#10 J.R., Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just fire him.

OtisHerrera likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I still don't understand the context... either way.

Is he randomly yelling at the three female reporters? Seems odd unless he has tourrete's.... or did they continue to ask him questions about the Osuna acquisition... which we all know was quite awhile ago, and seems completely wrong place/wrong time to bring up the morality conflicts that I feel the Astros already addressed (and then some) at the time of the trade.

Or, if he's supporting Osuna regarding a game situation, why yell incessantly that comment?

In the end, truth somewhere in the middle... and if this story really goes beyond today, its the slowest of slow news days.

vince and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Hunter Atkins is a NYC native with Steph Curry on his Twitter profile. Just saying.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I don't either. If anything he is disparaging Osuna for blowing the lead and insinuating that we dont need him. What a strange story right before the Game 1. Why not report this Saturday night or even Sunday?

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also works for the Chronicle....

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank God we got Altuve!
    I'm so ****ing glad we got Bregman.
    And Springer.
    And Correa.
    And Yuli.
    And Brantley.
    And Reddick.
    I'm so ****ing glad we got Verlander.
    Thank God we got Cole!
    And Greinke
    And Harris
    And Pressly
    And I'm so ****ing glad we got Osuna.

I'm so ****ing glad we got Jim Crane
    I'm so ****ing glad we got Jeff Luhnow
    I'm so ****ing glad we got A.J. Hinch.

GO ASTROS!
    #TAKEITBACK

18. Buck Turgidson

In the middle of a champagne-soaked clubhouse celebration? You're honestly confused about this?

19. Buck Turgidson

Now, the Astros are a team that likes to go out on the town,
    We like to drink and fight and **** till curfew comes around
    Then it's time to make the trek,
    We better be back for buddy check,
    It makes a fellow proud to be an Astro.

Now, Edwards is our catcher and he's really No. 1,
    Dave Bristol said he drinks too much and calls some long home runs,
    But we think John will be all right,
    If we keep him in his room at night,

Now, our pitching staff's composed of guys who think they're 'pretty cool,'
    With a case of Scotch, a greenie and an old beat-up whirlpool,
    We'll make the other hitters laugh,
    Then calmly break their bats in half,

Now, Harry Walker is the one that manages this crew,
    He doesn't like it when we drink and fight and smoke and screw,
    But when we win our game each day,
    Then what the **** can Harry say?

HatsForBats, alethios and J.R. like this.
  20. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Seriously..