1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What is even the point of Russ Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 8, 2019.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Hope you guys are ready for another early season losing slump as the rockets adapt to westbrook.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

[​IMG]

True Rocket and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  3. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

What's the point of this ****in thread after 1 preseason game...... smfh.... smf

4. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

He needs to take 3 or 4 a game just to keep defenses honest

No it won't be a high percentage but you gotta keep your man thinking

He's capable of getting hot

Plus MDA can pull him whenver whereas OKC couldn't

Ok I'm done convincing myself

RichieBanks and hakeem94 like this.
  5. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he is our only hope, so may as well get on the bandwagon and hope he does well.

Something that doesn't show up in the stats is the fact that he wears the other defense out, by constantly having to account for him in transition defense, which will take away from some of their offense, especially if they are older players....their shots my be off by having tired legs in the fourth quarter?

I don't really mind him shooting the low percentages because he has to take some of those shots or the defense won't guard him...even if its 33 percent, its still acceptable...anyhow its part of our gameplan. even if he misses we may get a long rebound and shoot it again.

Also against a great defense we need another dimension which russel can bring with his fast break. CP3 wasn't getting it done. at least russ can get guys open shots on the break.

I for one am hoping that with less pressure of having to be the number one guy, he will thrive, getting more open looks and also setting more ppl as he'll be surrounded by at least three shooters.

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm on the band wagon because as you said he is our only hope. He's great in transition, but ultimately how he performs in the half court on both ends will determine our fate. If you've watched him the past few post seasons you what the fear is. It's like i have to erase from my memory what I know and just hope for the best under a new system.

Gotta have faith.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's here to "f**k people up".

Women aren't even safe.

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

He gives another big in the lane. He can get shots without the shot fakes like cp3.

It's a defensive upgrade for sure!

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The point is
    STOP TALKING ABOUT CHINA!

10. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

With the geopolitical hoop climate I read this post as "What's the point of the Russian Westbrook?"

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. dischead

dischead Member

Finally something not about China. Well done

RichieBanks, daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It’s not a defensive upgrade at all lmao

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I did watch him get lit up by lilard last year and shoot bad. That said, on our team he doesn't necessarily need to play in the final five minutes, especially when we are in the penalty, similar to when capela sits for tucker due to his bad free throw shooting.

Also, OKC didn't have the shooters we have right now. I liked how Russel deferred to Eric Gordon on a three pointer this last game in the half court. He should be doing that a whole lot this season. I hope Eric and russ will be leading the second unit and glued together at all times.

I still think that russ had to take a lot of those bad, low percentage shots, simply because there was no one else outside of paul George who could initiate the offense. that's not the case here. If any of our 3 point shooters have space to shoot he needs to pass on a pull up 3 or 2 and defer, especially to Gordon, ryan Anderson, chris clemons and even rivers. I would add mclemore to that list too. and of course harden who doesn't need to be mentioned.

Red Chocolate and BaselineFade like this.
  14. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

u need to relax lol it's his 2nd game with the damn team and it's a preseason game way in Japan RELAX

15. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Westbrook ****ing sucks. It's hilarious watching all these posters convince he is a good fit for the team.

manlisten and hakeem94 like this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

To do what Harden does when he’s off the floor and push the pace. Stop thrashing WB...

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Westbrook can have a 2-1 assist to turnover ration, and if he can make a minimum of 2 threes per game at a minimum of 34% per game, then we will be just fine with his addition.

Problem is him coming through on all 3 of those will be highly unlikely.

18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Morey made right trade and I have almost forgot about the Carmelo blunder.

The cp3 hamstring issue was more liability than good.

randerson likes this.
  20. manlisten

manlisten Member

Since the trade I haven't seen one convincing argument about why it can work, sadly.