1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deveney] Scouts, Coaches Have Their Doubts on Rockets’ Pairing of Westbrook and Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Hahaha to be fair I think an NBA assistant probably has infinitely more bball knowledge than a guy like me :/

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. riko

riko Member

What I like about this paring is one can kill you in the half court with an all time great isolation game and the other maybe the greatest transition player ever in terms of speed and finishing and both are great at getting to the line and putting the defenses under extreme pressure

joshuaao and BaselineFade like this.
  3. gogispade

gogispade Member

If its true that this was Tilmans push with Morey having doubt than i am abit concerned too but still.. 2 MVP with everything to prove, lets get it!

4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

they can begin the facilitation in the high post with Kawhi and have PG on the perimeter, and then someone can come and set a screen for PG, where he can drive....it won't be that hard for them....consider how many screens we set for harden....they can do the same thing and then roll and have ppl move......what team can guard both kawhi and PG effectively in the post and the perimeter? they are going to be a problem.

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

I have my doubts too. But at least this season I won’t just be counting the days until CP3 get injured

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

as evidenced by the lack of success howard has had since leaving the rockets

7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I can't fault anyone for thinking the rockets might not quite be title contenders. russ, and the defense are big question marks right now.

is russ really on this big of a decline after literally the worst volume shooting season in history ???

russ likes to push the pace, harden likes it slow

even though russ is a great rebounding guard, we may be still be too small/old up front to be a good rebounding team.

we lost our great defensive coach.

these are all valid concerns. this is going to be a wild ride my friends.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he also has more interest in painting rockets as a bad team/franchise

ico4498 and FrontRunner like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This. People rather have CP3 on paper instead of reading about CP3 injury on paper

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

These are the same morons that told us OKC was better than the Rockets every preseason for the last 4.

BigShasta, Richie_Rich and vince like this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think this was anyone's ideal pairing. We've spent the last two years criticizing Westbrook's game in comparison to Harden's. He's inefficient, can't shoot well, and doesn't defend. I'm not going to label anyone as a hater if they're skeptical about our new duo. Let's face it, the main reason everyone on this board likes Westbrook now is because he's wearing Rocket red.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Low to Moderate risk but high to very high reward move.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Line them up old school.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Never said the Clippers weren’t going to be a problem, nor that they won’t be very good. But, if they start Beverley instead of Lou Williams, who in their starting five is going to create open looks for the guys not named Kawhi Leonard or Paul George? Neither Leonard or George are elite passers (career high in assists for either is 4.1 a game by George) or accustomed to getting shots for others. That isn’t Beverley’s game either.

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I didnt think.of that.......hmmm good point.

16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I love morey but he has misses too. N where is his chip. Again love him but people complain we are to analytical then we do something outside of that n they still complain lol.

17. WestendMassive

Houston is the only team in the NBA that makes a major move and has it questioned immediately.

PG joins Russ in OKC - everyone calls it a masterstroke, no concern about how he and Russ will mesh despite both being high usage players.
    PG and Kawhi go to LAC - same deal - they are described as a perfect fit even though they play the same position and have the same sort of skillset.
    AD joins LBJ in LA - Dream Pairing! No doubts in any media that these two can play successfully together.
    VS
    CP3 joins Harden in HOU - There is only one ball, no way this will work, what are they going to do, reduce CP3 to a spot up shooter?
    Russ goes to HOU - These guys are going to be fighting over the last shot, no way in hell will this work!

It's not a new phenomenon either: ROCKETS IN DISARRAY OVER DREXLER TRADE
    Can anyone remind me how that turned out? lol

hakeem94, Deuce, houston19519 and 5 others like this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

What's the fun if you don't show a bit of blatant homerism every so often?

snowconeman22 and RocksMillenium like this.
  19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Weren't they saying the same thing when the Rockets got Paul? In fact many picked the Rockets to be a 7 or 8 seed and possibly miss the playoffs.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah, you don't need to speak for me I can speak for myself and I have always liked Westbrook and consider this an upgrade over Chris Paul.

MrButtocks likes this.