1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Tilman, here's an example of "Whatever It Takes"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don’t know man. Better defender, probably it.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Everything he can to hold this team back?

Everything?

If THIS is everything that Tilman can do to hold this team back he is pretty terrible at it. Were a top payroll team with a perennial mvp candidate that many have projected to be a top regular season team and part of a small group that are fairly highly favored compared to the rest of the league to win it all.

I understand people having a degree of uneasiness and being upset, but let’s be real. This could all be WAY worse.

3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Im really struggling to think of just one positive effect hes had since owning the team

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. Great point. But how come word is they’d go over the tax for Iguodala? Is he on Kawhi or AD’s level?
    What’s that? Yup. You just lost the argument.

roslolian likes this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

50% defense, 50% offense.

Draymond is an impact player. WB is a stats player.

Field Goal %
    Draymond 50% on 22 playoffs games in 2019.
    WB 36% on 5 playoffs games in 2019.

Draymond lead the nba on Playoffs Technical Fouls for 5 consecutive years.
    WB had little Ts on playoffs.

#46 BigBum, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  7. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

They were going to pay luxury tax regardless of the green extension.

stupid thread. Inferiority complex you have

He is paying the stars he already had. He is using D. russell for a contract tradeable piece. They would have been locked in with no way to improve. Smart moves. Not necessarily ownership okaying it. It was a no brainer

roslolian and mike2k132 like this.
  8. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Edit: Not even going to go into details of contracts MLE and our situations.

Jesus you are one of the worst posters. And yeah its really easy to GM 3 years ago. Why do you even stay here. Like 99 percent of the people here think you are a joke.

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Thread Title: Whatever it takes

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

word is from who? this is what shams reported: The Rockets are still not comfortable and have been resisting going that deep into the luxury tax to acquire a guy like Iguodala where they give up a draft pick. Their tax bill could rise to upwards of $20 million.

and regarding any arguments being won or lost, inconsequential -- we are all losers here when the owner handicaps team progress in the interest of LTS. and harden's career is the biggest loser

all anyone has to do is read JR's post in this thread with tilman's direct quotes. MFer is lying out of his ass. i get that you think he's a just being a good businessman. however this is CF, not a fansite for highly prudent businessmen

blahblehblah likes this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Fair. It comes down to what you believe. Can’t say you’re wrong for sure. But that Shams quote seems to indicate it’s the pick. Me personally, I would say if Iggy was available to us for say a Shumpert sign and trade and a 2nd rounder, Morey would pull the trigger. So if that were true, I believe my point is valid. But I cant say what I just stated is fact.
    But your post was implying that it has to be an impossible acquisition like Kawhi or AD, and while it may be an obvious exaggeration, it misconstrues what is very possible just a situation where they’re being selective on the type of role player that makes it worth it and not the Tilman is cheap or avoiding tax at all costs

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm saying that it looks very unlikely we'll be in lux tax territory this year, period. all indicators point to this. maybe if some revenue drawing star might become available later in the season then perhaps, but not for iggy imo. just look at the body of work this front office has put forth in the past 12 months. there are at least a dozen decisions/transactions made and a dozen good gettable players ignored -- all in the relentless pursuit of LTS. the mountain of evidence is glaring

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Bro soooo the rockets dont have maybe the best team in the west right now. Atleast vegas thinks so with the 4th best odds to win...so I dont get ur complaints if the goal is to put yourself in the mix to win it all. They have a legit shoot.

14. smp

smp Member

I don’t always agree with you but I think you nailed it on all points.

Harden is a generational talent. Stop being a cheap ass and build around him right now!!! WTF is Tilman waiting for?

Mathloom likes this.
  15. Game7

Game7 Member

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So....all you have to do is PAY 4 max contract and go to the Luxury Tax to win the title? Doesn't matter if they are good or fit, but as long as u go into the Tax........no matter how the players perform, the fans are good with that? Great logic.

roslolian likes this.
  17. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Question, how many Max contract can a team have, it was like 2 a few years ago lol.
    Did they change the rules for the worriers?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You can have infinite max players if you have their bird rights and are willing to pay the tax

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not really theres a hard cap you cant pass.

Tbh Im also mot sure how GSW can pay Curry Dlo Klay and now Green the max. It might be 4 max dudes and 11 vet mins

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think any of us expect the Rockets to go as deep into the tax as GSW has …. but we do expect that they try to put the best team around Harden & Westbrook as possible - within reason.

I expect the tax will be a reality for them this year as they are only about 1.17m below the tax line with 14 guys on the roster and 3 exhibit 10 contracts. Then you have McLemore , Bennett & Frazier filling 3 roster spots , I doubt all three make it to the regular season and don't forget the glaring hole at the 3-4 spots - unless we believe House and Clark somehow solidify that when history shows them incapable , particularly in the playoffs.

Ducking the tax last year was inexcusable …. coming off a 65 win season and a trip to game 7 of the WCF. Not spending the MLE last year , dumping Ryno's contract for nothing when they could have used those assets to improve …. just kinda shows the mindset of ownership - they talk big and that's about it. That little bit better they could have gotten as a result of spending the $$ and putting those assets towards improvement might have been enough to get them over the top.
    Now they've started this offseason much the same way , the juggernaut that was the Warriors is no more , they have as good a shot as any team yet they don't use most of the MLE , don't use Shumpert's bird rights and let that ~$10m extra they could bring back as a result of the Westbrook trade go to waste ….

Tilman aint doing what it takes to win it all …. He's doing what it takes to be good enough to keep asses in seats but not quite good enough to win it all.

pippendagimp likes this.