1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) MDA has ended contract talks with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 30, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Mda should sign 1 year deal

1 million dollars salary with 8 million bonus if nba final appearance
    Or 15 million bonus for a ring.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is still under contract this is only an extension for next next season.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, and thanks to Morey's meddling Rox are the only other team who stands a chance against the Warriors.

In fact his meddling is so popular other teams like Bucks and Raptors copied it.

JeffB and Zergling like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. Raven

Raven Member

It's wasn't exactly a friendly parting with Kevin, either, or with JVG.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Asking for a contract extension after dropping that huge turd in Game 6 would be like asking your parents for the keys when you just wrecked the other car.

How about first prove you can make intelligent decisions in the playoffs before asking for job security.

smp, bballjunkie, knifejc and 6 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then he should not sign it. He doesn't even know what roster he is going to get. Lulz.

If they start the season like last season, and dun turn it around, it's going to be a crap fest.

Everyone shares responsibilities, I know Mike has his weaknesses but I refuse to believe it is all his fault.

The players Morey gave him, were crap at the start, above average minimum players in the end.

And Tilman did not want to spend, that was very obvious.

#327 daywalker02, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If MDA still coach this team:

1. We will still play Harden dribble dribble ISO basketball.

2. We cant well develop our young players.

3. MDA wont give those new players Morey signed playing time in playoffs.

4. Still no timeout, no adjustment. Bad loss one after another.

bballjunkie and Crashlanded19 like this.
  9. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

The Raptors did no such thing you c*m-addled loser.

bmelo likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

you must be joking. First of all Cavs won Against Gsw and Ty Lue invented iso-heavy offense against Curry. Second of all Rockets didn't win one series out of 4 so historicaly they don't stand a chance. Third of all Raptors look way better against them than we did and so would 76 as some of us were saying since couple of months.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Raptors coach is Nick Nurse who ran the same system as the Rockets in RGV, you c*m-addled loser.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ransition-vipers-raptors-comfortable-one/amp/

You think you know more about Nick Nurse than Nick Nurse himself?

Get freaking rekt you b****-faced loser. I would say I ****ed your mom but you sound like an inbred moron so you can't be my child. GTF0

SamFisher likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all I'm not joking at all. Secondly I was talking about Warriors with KD, no other team brought the KD Warriors to Game 7 in fact Lebron Cavs went 2-4 and 0-4. So historically they DID stand a chance, even if the chance is small so they lost 4 times its still better than the non-existent chances of other teams. Thirdly Ty Lue is a moron and didnt invent ****. Finally Raptors coach Nick Nurse spent 2 years in RGV where he learned analytics and the Rockets offensive system.

Even he himself acknowledges he learned a lot from analytics and the Rox offensive system, clearly he was able to tweak it to suit his tastes which is what is supposed to happen.

The reality is MDA's MO has stayed the same he didnt coach in PHX and he isnt coaching now. Thats why the Suns always lost to the Spurs and sadly why the Rox keep losing to GSW.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I just don’t know where to side on this. I don’t really like MDA as a coach, and I REALLY don’t like Fertitta as a human being. I’m so confused.

Easy, smp, DaDakota and 4 others like this.
  14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

You can just not like either. Throw Morey in there as well. I'm hating the entire team. So bitter.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Has their been a situation where a team DEMOTES a head coach while he's still under contract to assistant level and bring in another coach to be the head coach?

Bring in Lue as the head coach and demote MDA to assistant? That'd be crazy.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Mike-D-Antoni-rejects-Rockets-13907973.php

Fertitta said D’Antoni was offered a base salary of $5 million with an additional $1 million bonus for every round of the playoffs the Rockets won. That base salary would be a raise from his current contract ($4.5 million). But barring the incentives, the offer was for considerably less than recent deals with other veteran coaches, including Portland’s Terry Stotts and Detroit’s Dwane Casey.

“We didn’t end extension talks,” Fertitta said in a hastily arranged media availability after talks with D’Antoni broke off. “Agents’ jobs are to play hardball. I made Mike a great extension offer. It was one of the better base salaries in basketball but also had the highest incentives in basketball. Mike could make 4 million in incentives. Business is business.

“I’m a very incentive-based guy. If you perform, I want you to do unbelievable.”

Fertitta said there will always be “noise” about the Rockets looking to make moves because “I’m a deal guy and he’s a deal guy.”

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Since the lack of midrange shots is more or less what most people mean when they say "the Rockets style of play" - Toronto has definitely followed this trend line going from >20 a game 2 years ago (DeRozan) to just over 12 for the last 2 years.

YOLO likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

So, at best, MDA would have made $9 million if he just got Houston to the Finals, win or lose. At worst, he would make $5 million.

JuNx and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TF trying to bring his business style into the world of guaranteed contracts.

DD

smp likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

Going back to this again....I wonder what Stotts and Casey got in terms of per year deals. Whatever they got reeks more of their respective teams' desperation than what they are truly capable of. Then again, I guess MDA does have merit as his team made it to the WCF and has been at least a Top 5 team the past 2 seasons.

I don't know....from a business perspective the deal makes sense but this is sports....if you are not willing to give MDA a decent raise ($4.5 to $6.5?) after what he's been able to do the past few years....will this set the baseline for future coaches? Like, "I'll pay you the going rate for a coach and we can escalate your salary with bonuses"? I don't know how many top flight coaches would be down with that. Which means you're going to either have to pluck a coach from obscurity/unknown commodity, or bring in a guy that bombed at his previous stop and needs to prove his worth. Either way...not very good.