1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gersson Rosas building another Rockets in Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, May 28, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

At this point I doubt it. Morey could have fought to keep him on long term.

The one that is going to hurt is Gianluca Pascucci. Morey never wanted to lose Pascucci, but Les Alexander decided to let down the hammer on him to make a statement.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why hasn't he brought any of these guys back?

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Gianluca Pascucci, the Nets Director of Global Scouting — and the man credited with finding and pushing Rodions Kurucs— is leaving for an assistant GM job in Minnesota.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Saunders is a big believer in analytics too.

Rosas ain't f*ckin around. If he can turn Wiggins into a neutral asset, they may look good.

Watch these guys "shockingly" make a huge improvement.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Show them what you are made of, Gersson!

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

Is this the same GUPTA ON SPORTS 610??? Hellooooooo this is Gupta

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I think part of it is that the Rockets have gone in a different direction and may have gotten what they could out of those guys when they worked for the organization.

I have never heard anyone specifically answer that question.

With Gianluca Pascucci I think it was likely just a timing issue.

For as hard as Morey pushed for Finch to be on the staff, and had discussed him having a long term spot.......... he sure didn't really fight to keep him.

The jewel for the Rockets is Monte McNair...... part of why I don't think Rosas is quite the blow it would have been years ago.

Deuce, raining threes and Matt78777 like this.
  8. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This is in line with Morey's public stance that they want to be seen as a sort of pipeline for talent. The pitch is, come work here and either move up go on to great things elsewhere. Rather than be scared of a brain drain or always look to hire away great talent, embrace it, and always be looking for new you talent to step into larger roles.

Also in line with a Q&A session with Kelly Iko where I asked him if Rockets would look to replace Rosas. He said no, Rockets already had a plan in place for people already in the office to take on his responsibilities.

9. xaos

xaos Member

I'm really interested to see what they do with KAT. I've always felt he was the kind of guy that will put up the stats of an elite player, but will never be able to carry a team to anything meaningful.

10. dream2franchise

I'm not sure I trust Morey to find a difference maker at #11, and I'd hate to sound like a TNT panelist, but that's alot of toughness to give up in a hypothetical trade like that.

It's hard when we look at trading for bad contracts when CP's looks the worst hehe.

I wonder if a team like Miami suits Paul since they obviously want to win ASAP and have a lot of those 11-15 mill contracts that are movable. Could even target Jimmy as well as part of a rebuild-on-the-fly type deal.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Morey had a #11 pick, more likely than not he would use it in a trade rather than actually drafting a player.

12. dream2franchise

That's a fair point.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Hiring freeze- always the sign of an expansive, win-at-all-costs owner.

15. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

? A Nazi SS officer would find the demographics of Minnesota very welcoming.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm curious too. If Rosas thinks like Morey, he's going to get KAT to do more of what he's good at and less of what he's bad at > to an extreme.

Which to me says we're going to see KAT average at least 30+ points 10+ rebounds and almost 3 assists and 2 blocks. Right now he's underutilized with 40% shooting on the perimeter, 24 points on 17 shots, less than 6 trips to the line and some unnecessary mid range jumpers. He plays too much PF too, I don't see the point in that since you can get the most out of him by giving him the quickness advantage at C.

I doubt KAT ever becomes a good defender so what we might see is him becoming an offensive monster in an effort to improve his net impact. Will be fun to watch.

What's even more interesting is whether they can fix Wiggins, the most anti-analytics player in the NBA. Right away you can cut out his 160 2 point shots outside the key (on which he shot 30% lol). There's another 50+ shots inside the key from about 10 feet where he converted under 40%. I think that alone would bring him to some semblance on an NBA player. Making more shots = more confidence = he will probably convert better on everything else and by default get more FTA's without even trying.

Now Wiggins is a pretty bad defender too, so they need to insist that the other 3 players on the floor with these 2 are all excellent defenders. I guess their 3 best defenders are Covington, Okogie and.... Saric? If Okogie works on his 3 this summer, that might not be a half bad line up.

If Rosas can go all that just to make Wiggins look good before trading him to some stupid franchise, he would have earned his pay check for 2 years already.

xaos likes this.
  17. Matt78777

I don't think they fix Wiggins. I think they dump him. On Woj's podcast Rosas kept talking about having a duty to KAT to put together a good team, that he was the cornerstone, etc., never once brought up Wiggins. My guess is that they'll accept salary filler and second rounders, and then when Wolves start winning without him people will say "addition by subtraction..."

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who is going to take his contract?

19. Matt78777

hmmmm probably not a lot of teams, would have to be someone desperate...

best guess? Charlotte, if they resign Kemba, you could do Batum straight up and Charlotte could say they found a second star to pair with kemba, and Minny gets back a player with less years on contract. Minny would probably prefer to break up the contract, so Biyombo and Zeller or Marvin Williams works. Phoenix maybe for Tyler Johnson and filler (if they strike out on CP3 of course).

No matter who the taker is, I doubt this is a contract that you get rid of in fell swoop. I think Rosas will look to move it for several contracts, and then flip those into lesser ones, until the obligation is more manageable, sort of how Houston made Ryan Anderson's contract disappear, or the way Mozgov's contract kept getting flipped.

20. HardenUsedSTEPBACK

It's pretty funny how much the Rockets and their system sucks but other teams seems to be so eager to take our analytical philosophy and run with it.
    The bucks are a carbon copy and they were media darling but why would they want to play like a bunch of losers?
    Now other teams are coveting our guys and trying to build a similar system....? Doesn't make sense.

Little Bit likes this.