1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Houston’s shortcomings might have had more to do with mentality than pure talent'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBA_fan_2018, May 11, 2019.

1. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

There's some truth to this:

The only way to get through that is to summon your inner dawg and go out out and do it.

Not much Morey can do after tip-off.

2. Mr. Space City

More to do with coaching.

sammy, amaru, Zergling and 3 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden is the coach.

DD

4. JW86

JW86 Member

Yup, Warriors are very confident in what they do. They were just going through the motions for 3/4 of the game last night and the game was right there for the taking, that hurts the most and is definitely a mentality issue. The talent was there, just not the right mindset and confidence.

hakeem94 and cbs1507 like this.
  5. OpportunityCost

We need to scrap this ineffective (against GS) offensive philosophy where Harden dribbles the shot-clock out, heaves up a hero-shot, passes an ill-advised lob to Capela (what a waste of 90 million dollars) or passes it to someone with only 4 secs left and gives them little time to do anything. Also, this ISO-dominant basketball is sooooooooo boring to watch.

Rocketeer4Life and SWTsig like this.
  6. ApuN

ApuN Member

All layups + All three pointers = 0 finals

0 finals = 0 championships

SWTsig and juanm34 like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's really annoying when fans say Rockets need even more to compete. Naw man. Rockets had enough. Harden is just deficient mentally; his soul leaves his body when his legacy is on the line. I don't care about that stat line, when it time to win, he tells Clint to pass the ball to EGO.

I was tricked into thinking it finally clicked during that OT classic against GSW in the regular season. Harden won that game he had no business winning. Harden had multiple chances to take the series.

I don't care how many allstars GSW has, the series was still decided by a couple points. Rockets had enough. Greatness makes up the difference.

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Mentally weak.........
    it all started with the game 1 fiasco.
    Got in their heads and doomed them.....

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Should be 3-2 right now and we would have beat them in 6.

The league ****ed us game 1, and that ****ed the entire series for us.

hakeem94, Drift Monkey and RyanB like this.
  10. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

The whole series was remarkably evenly called, tbch.

cbs1507 likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Game 1 was absolutely rigged, if you disagree with this you're a Warriors fan, the rest of games have been pretty much perfect, one game in a best of seven series means a lot though.

hakeem94, MorningZippo and RyanB like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Only after the Rockets complained about officiating. Ever since that first game, the refs even the bad ones were good.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I’m actually surprised this isn’t simply common knowledge at this point. It’s literally right in front of us. Collectively, as a team, and starting w Harden, we simply do not have the mental make up to finish.

We were talented enough to win 65 last yr. Talented enough to have the second best 2nd half this yr. Harden is talented enough to have just produced one of the greatest offensive seasons in history. We were good enough to be in every single game of this series, even winning 2 when gsw had KD. But all of a sudden, when it’s truly put up or shut up time, when you really need to rely on good decision making, good execution, and especially your MVP caliber player, this team, Harden especially, completely and totally collapses.

I know I’ve repeated this over and over again but that’s the ******* truth. I said the same last yr. I said the same thing after the spurs debacle. In a series as close as this, Harden, the guy who basically DEMANDED we lean on all damn season, committed more gaffes at critical times than anyone else.

Harden isn’t going anywhere, nor should he, but the notion that he can carry us on his shoulders is a fallacy based more on hope than reality. We need another star, a real tenacious type, and a new system that emphasizes Harden less. How we do that I have no clue. But that’s the only way we get there w this team.

hakeem94, BruceAndre, Ronkol and 4 others like this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Perfectly put. This would be perfect way to end a book about The Rockets playoff struggles.

hakeem94, Nelly and RyanB like this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

thats the problem...
    we need somebody who's not just trying to keep their job by not pissing off the stars - somebody who will actually coach the team - while not just allowing everybody to chuck 3's 24/7...

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

we're a team thats always looking for an angle or a shortcut - or an excuse....

as opposed to just doing the dirty work of boxing out and rebounding... running actual plays... working the ball around from early in the 24 looking for defensive lapses and opportunities...

hakeem94, Why not?, apollo33 and 2 others like this.
  17. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

I hear you, but the Rockets still failed to close out the 3 other games they lost. Can't blame the refs for that. If getting 1 game called very terribly can affect your will that badly then you didn't deserve to win.

18. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Perhaps. But Rockets failed to seize the moment and played tentative in those 3 other losses down the stretch. You got to play to win. Warriors did that in those games.

hakeem94 and BamBam like this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

"MIGHT"???? lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

I have always maintained that it's absolutely the coach's fault if the team has the wrong mentality and fails to live up to their talent level. In any sport.

So I think they're inseparable.

As for the article, it's another one of those obvious conclusions we've known about here for years. Oftentimes, I think we want to delude ourselves, but I don't know of too many here that would argue that, at any point in any season of the current era, the Rockets have felt like a team that really WANTED something.

hakeem94, Hakeemtheking and RyanB like this.