1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we done with starting EG at the 3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1897, May 11, 2019.

1. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

Remember the days when we had the luxury to get him off the bench and we were outscoring other teams benches so hard?

Option 1: Sign a serviceable center with MLE( Dedmon or Ed Davis maybe), trade Clint for a starting caliber 3-4 with length and shooting.

Option 2: keep Clint and hail mary we can sign a starting caliber 3/4 with length on a discount

2. Mr. Space City

Gordon was pretty good as a SF and actually saved the Rockets this playoffs when Harden and CP3 were having crap games.

He exceeded my expectations of what I expected of him.

The only negative I can say for him is he contributed to the poor rebounding because he’s not tall and strong enough to match up with SF’s and PF’s. Only had 1 rebound in 37 minutes last night.

JW86, snowconeman22, cbs1507 and 2 others like this.
  3. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Strength has nothing to do with boxing out. And Gordon is strong. So watching our team stand around instead of putting a body on body is annoying. What do the coaches tell these players?

napalm06 likes this.
  4. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

I agree that he was great at the 3 especially these playoffs but starting him and Tucker gives us a very big disadvantage in rebounding. It took super human rebounding efforts from Tucker to keep us in these games in the first place.

We used to go to a 3 guard lineup for end of games before and it seemed to work very well then.

cbs1507 and GotGame15 like this.
  5. Mr. Space City

Strength has something to do with boxing out, especially when you’re undersized. There were times where he boxed out and got muscled right off the spot.

6. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

You can't point to 1 time where Gordon was boxing out. Look at all the offensive rebounds we gave up in last 2 plays. Warriors players were free running to those.

7. Mr. Space City

I distinctively remember a play where Gordon was under the basket, tried to box out, got out muscled by draymond, warriors got the offensive rebound, rockets fouled, and put draymond to the line.

I’m at work and on my phone so I can’t go through 2 hours of game footage to find it.

cbs1507 likes this.
  8. jsingles

jsingles Member

He never should have been starting to begin with. He was the reason, almost sole reason, why our bench ran all over everyone last year. Putting him in the starting lineup more than just when it was absolutely necessary was a recipe for disaster. I thought that was kind of obvious, but I guess that sentiment wasn't felt with the professionals who run the team.

GotGame15, cbs1507 and javal_lon like this.
  9. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Perhaps you're right. I just recall of free runs to the basket. Some length at SF would help though.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

rockets would of gotten swept if gordon wasn't starting

11. payaso

payaso Member

He's the only guy of value under a moveable contract on the roster. This team needs to get a whole lot longer.
    Wish him well.

12. Mr. Space City

I agree. Sucks that Danuel House’s magic flammed out in the playoffs. He could have given the Rockets that length and athleticism they needed. :(

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I hope so …. need a real 3 so EG can go back to being the 6th man.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Frankly , EG should be our starting 1 and CP3 should be our 6th man .

astros99 likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Positions don't really matter on offense, but on defense he was more like the 2. Harden was almost exclusively guarding bigger forward types.

EG has been ok, but you can't ignore his performance for the first 70% of the season. I said it back then and I'll say it again, you don't get a free pass for showing up late. He's one of two pieces that are useful in trade. We can't dedicate $14-$15m to a guy his age and with his role. We need to get a clutch star to pair with Harden and CP3 will slip into the 3rd scorer role that EG had.

I think House will develop too despite his disappointing postseason.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't know. I obviously prefer him off the bench, but he sucked as a reserve this season. Plus the team did play great post-All Star Break(and Lakers game) once he was inserted into the lineup. Not to mention he did have a really good series overall against the Warriors. He was bad in Game 6, but we're not even playing that game if he wasn't huge in Games 3 and 4.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

As long as we got ****tard #1 & ****tard #2, no we are not done starting Eric Gordon (if he's even here next year)

[​IMG]

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Trade Gordon now to avoid the three team trade scenarios of the future. Plus you wanna avoid drama in the future since cp3 got super Max. The Gordon technical stifled the game plans early and the technicals was unnecessary since bogut was no real threat at any point in this series.

Make a Trade with Orlando sending Gordon now for timofey mozgov since Gordon struggles in back to back games. Getting mozgov gives capaela support while letting capaela know that he might be next.

Mozgov can train capeala and mozgov can train hardenstein a lil bit too.

#18 smoothie_king, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019