1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA poised to deny Houston media market MVP vote

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Feb 19, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Answered.

Louka likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

I agree that he's the catalyst, but he's not going to succeed with dleaguers and waiver signings. Sorry, but he's just not. He's a system guy. If his system around him breaks, his catalyzing efforts are worthless.

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  3. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

thats my point just before the start of the 2016-2017 season bleacher report picked the rockets to finish 38-44.. the rockets won 56 games, westbrook was a 7th seed and had the likes of oladipo, sabonis, kanter, roberson, adams, and grant on his team, but he still won mvp. Harden is doing better than westbrook in 2016-2017 this year. so harden deserves mvp if thats the criteria that the nba media has set

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ions-for-every-team-pre-training-camp#slide19

D-rock likes this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think some of you are delusional. Houston is a big media market, and gets a lot of attention. The Rockets get more national attention than any other team in the city. As someone that doesn't live in Texas, locals here group the Rockets in with Golden State and LA Lakers with media obsessions.

BigShasta and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Harden should unanimously get the MVP but I think the media will split Harden and PG13 and give it to Giannis since AD blew his chances after being anointed for this year after last season. It doesn't matter what Harden does or the fact that the Bucks will get bounced in the 2nd round if they are lucky.

I think LBJ missing the playoffs will be the only reason why they don't try putting his name up there as well. It's a disgusting joke. Harden should on his way to #4. If the Rockets do anything the rest of the season, just find the team from last year over the final 25 games and give the team a chance. It's there buried deep.

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

:rolleyes:
    I can only laugh. System guy who can't iso? Have you ever watched him play at all? Is this your first season watching the east?

This is only the first year in his nba carreer that there's even a semblance of a system to play in. Before this year his offence was mostly isos and he was extremely efficient.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am fan of both teams, unbiased who isnt sure who deserves it more. That's why I haven't come out and posted this guy deserves it or that guy.

However same as I support Harden elsewhere when I see people posting bullcrap about him, same I defend Giannis here when I see bullcrap.

And saying Giannis is a system player who can't iso is pure bullcrap. Sorry.

Blurr#7 and justtxyank like this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Harden deserves it for sure this year. But so does Giannis.

Anyway I don't know how this thread ended up like this. It was supposed to be about media votes.

My view is that there is no issue in Houston media having zero votes, as long as there is some kind of qualifications and every year reevaluation that can weed out all the biased journalists who vote for MVP and the rest of awards.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The MVP is obviously our Championship...we suck that bad as a team and fan base.

Talk about garbage priorities. It’s like Russ two years ago. I thought that was pathetic and so is this.

9. Feedoffdoubt

Feedoffdoubt Member

Dude get out of here Bucks fan. Seriously, what's your problem? Why are you even here?

10. don grahamleone

Yoyo, out of deep respect for your fandom of our beloved team, I've answered your questions above but your words are in ketchup and mustard. My answers are in black like the uniforms I love from our past two seasons.

I hope my answers were respectful as they were intended to be respectful even when I disagreed.

11. don grahamleone

At volume. Dude isn't carrying some offensive load in the way that Harden is now or has in the past like Westbrook did that one year.

Giannis is a system player in the sense that he's never won like he's capable of without this system around him. He's got that this year and he's a special player in this league, but he's not elevated himself to an All Time Great this year. Harden has done that and to not appreciate that is ludicrous to me, appreciate it with votes and respect thrown Harden's way. Giannis will get his awards but his time isn't now, it's not this year because of the ludicrous job Harden has done.

Harden -250
    Giannis +350

Vegas knows it's not close right now, but I can definitely see the gap closing if the Bucks pull away in the W/L columns and Harden falls off with his squad being back and healthy(voters love the best player on the best team argument). I could also see Harden running away with it if his team starts winning and the Bucks get caught by the Raptors or someone else.

[Also.. the Bucks beat the Raptors without Giannis... why isn't this included in any of your arguments about depth?]

Louka and clutchdabear like this.
  12. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

I strongly suspect that Harden wouldn't be getting media-blackballed if he had stuck with Nike. If you believe in conspiracy, follow the money.

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Quoting myself is weird but I wanted to add, Royce Young might actually have a man crush on Russ. The fact he's the beat for that team and has national credentials is disgusting. But maybe it's the norm, I mean Windy is Lebron's stalker from middle-school so...

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@malakas roots for both teams. She is simply making the case for Giannis not saying Harden is undeserving. She wants Clutchfans to put some respect on Giannis' season. That's all.

malakas and Elephant810 like this.
  15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why 4th largest city want to save luxury tax?

Cavs paid 180 million luxury tax and OKC paid $58 million this year.

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Giannis is a system guy.... okie dokie.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I have no issue with your disagreement, would I want Harden to win the award? Sure I do but Giannis is more than worthy to win the award if Harden does not.

As for your comments above to the first part:

Unfortunately Vegas does not vote for the award, the media does and with a previous post of mine in this thread (and with the Westbrook MVP) the media will do whats in the best interest for them to prove that they were right. ESPN controls around 25% of the media vote, that is a huge concentration of voting power in one block. I do not think all of them will vote the same but there will be immense pressure to do so. Just as prior to the 16-17 season most preseason polls had the Rockets missing the playoffs and the Thunder being the 3-4th seed(maybe higher) the media shifted its narrative to saying Harden had too much help and Westbrook had none and thus made themselves look correct at the end. I do like that the league does make public the votes so you can see which voters have an obvious bias.

As for the Bucks' lack of hiccups this season - how is that a fault of their team? I mean isn't that what every team wants? Just like you dont want to refer to the Bucks tumultuous recent history I do not believe it is fair to hold their lack of hiccups against them this year. Injuries are unfortunate and are part of the game, Denver has lost more player games to injuries than any other team this season but are #2 still. Some of the issues the Rockets had early on prior to the injuries you can argue were self-inflicted - integrating new players, Melo, not having Jeff B there, suspensions etc.

That chemistry though the Bucks have are a product of Giannis' play this year. Giannis has the highest player net rating out of anyone in the NBA that has played more than 30 games this season.

I do not believe Giannis is a distant second but probably is more in the driver's seat for the award than most want to believe this year. Honestly I would love Harden to win if it means the Rockets have moved up to a top 3 seed in the west. I would rather have Harden win Finals MVP over the regular season award again. I think most Rockets fans want some sort of recognition for Harden's historic season and thats fair but its really not the most important thing for the team at the moment. Even Harden says so in his recent interviews over all-star weekend that he cannot keep up his scoring pace if the team is to have long term success. I think Harden is fairly secure in himself and where he stands in the pantheon of NBA greats and really another MVP wont help his case, but a Championship ring will.

I get where you are coming from and wanting Harden to win a consecutive MVP award, what he has done is remarkable and the only players I can see pulling off a feat like that right now in the NBA could be LeBron and maybe KD, but I don't think its fair to diminish all of what Giannis has done this season to bolster Harden's case. I see a lot of similarities between Giannis' season right now and Harden's season 2 years ago. Team over exceeding expecations, historical numbers etc.

don grahamleone and Louka like this.
  18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

And ****ing Royce Young of all people have a vote. He's the most biased media member in the league, always writing very obviously biased articles about how great Westbrick is. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he voted for PG over Giannis this year and have Harden 3rd.

19. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Guys just remember, last time Houston had a vote (2 votes actually), they went towards Curry... So feigen and pervy worrell can go f themselves

20. don grahamleone

Yup. Okie dokie.