1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Tilman cheap for not going all in? A response.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 12, 2019.

1. thething

thething Contributing Member

Great writeup. I haven't come around to the optimistic camp on Shump yet.

Personally, if you assume that we do not care about the dollars in Tilman's pocket, the move to rent Shumpert for two months was not a great basketball move. We gave up a first round pick and Brandon Knight's contract, which was an asset that could have been used in future deals in the offseason to acquire a player who can produce, but maybe on an overpriced contract. Trade and through the draft are the only real ways to acquire a player of that caliber. *there's buyout guys and free agency too, but they'd have to accept a MAJOR discount to come to Houston.

When you look at trying to resign Rivers, Faried, Shumpert, or possibly Morris with the limited dollars we have available, it's just not going to happen with all of them. I see this as a rental and a way to duck under the luxury tax and avoid paying Knight's contract next year (or whoever they could trade an expiring for)

Richie_Rich, Nelly and justtxyank like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So really when you said we went cheap in the offseason you really had no idea whether that was true or not.

ChumpCity and hakeem94 like this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yea that would make sense if we didnt GIVE UP assets for a salary dump

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I was willing to overlook it in the summer because Morey said to wait and there were rumblings about an early deal. It was clear they are being cheap but I though it was at the expense of making a trade soon enough to matter.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yep, 2 games of shooting percentages should about sum up his entire value for the rest of the season for us.

Back on topic, overall, I feel like the benefit of luxury tax savings AND adding a guy like Iman Shumpert was a great secondary move, when all others fell through. Do I think he was worth giving up a first round pick for? Probably not.

But I see it as the first round pick that cost us in having to dump Ryan Anderson's contract, split into smaller pieces. All-in-all, this would have been the price regardless of what we DID or DIDN'T want to give up. Ryan Anderson was a costly mistake but now it's all said and done.

I think once we get into the playoffs (health permitting) Shumpert would be a net plus for us.

clutchdabear and IvanLCPM like this.
  6. thekad

thekad Member

If Morey wanted Shump so bad, he could have matched salaries in that three team without adding Knight’s contract dump.

So no.

7. justtxyank

How could he have matched salaries for Shump in that deal without including Knight in a way that didn't involve us getting worse?

Nene/Chriss wouldn't have been enough.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his obvious defensive effort needs no debate. but neither does his scoring inefficiency, with half a dozen years of data to back it up. but apparently you believe he'll magically turn into a guy who is going to start consistently making teams pay for doubling off of him. good luck w/ that lol

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good effort, Tillman!

10. justtxyank

[​IMG]

11. thekad

thekad Member

Nene/Chriss/Clark to Cleveland. Ennis to Philadelphia. Burks to Sacramento. Shumpert to Houston.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd at the least give him more than a couple games, leeway, to get to learn the offense and find his groove... if he gains one with us.

I'm guessing you've never had to switch jobs mid-year and move from one city to another while learning different roles and responsibilities. These types of things take time, no matter how hefty the check you cash is (or isn't).

His percentages were fairly well before he came from Sacramento, I think it's fair to expect him to get back to a respectable rate, once he gets into the swing of things.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets were willing to go into repeater tax territory for a star player (like Butler).

The Rockets were not willing to go into repeater territory for an upgrade they view as marginal.

Shumpert is someone that Morey and D'Antoni has attempted to trade for in the past. He fills a real need on the roster and will likely be resigned this off season.

FWIW I don't think that Morey would work for an organization that isn't really interested in winning.

14. justtxyank

Gary Clark couldn't be traded because of the timing of his signing.

IvanLCPM and Nook like this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Iman Shumpert is not going to alter any sort of trajectory for us. His career has shown little evidence that he's a difference maker. I would hope that the deadline was about money, which is what it looks like, as opposed to Morey thinking that Iman Shumpert is worth the assets we gave up to get him as a "win-now" and "all-in" move, because that would be embarrassing.

#35 J Sizzle, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  16. justtxyank

Now isn't that an ironic post lol.

In a way I agree with you. It's easier for me to accept it was about money than about Shump, but Morey DID really sign MCW this offseason...

hakeem94, CriscoKidd and J Sizzle like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well i mean defensively he's been good the first 2 games. switching, reads, being in the right position. and passing-wise he's also been good. finding open teammates in the offense. these are surely things that take more time and adjustment than something as automatic for an nba player as shooting wide open J's. in any case i am going to give him more time, and that's why i prefaced the intial post with "so far". but like i said, he's bricked his entire career so the last 2 games are less likely to be an abberation or the result of new setting.

Nelly likes this.
  18. thekad

thekad Member

So Hartenstein. Also dumped Melo’s contract a couple weeks beforehand who could be used as filler.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

GMs are offering one-year deal now. Reporters expect the Buyouts market will be very thin next season.
    If Shumpert, Faried and Rivers are leaving, I hope Morey will make good trades to contend for championship next year. Paul and Tucker continue to decline.
    Gordon and 3 Firsts for an all-star level player.

20. xaos

xaos Member

That's a really good point. The fact that he turned down the Sixers earlier in the year also adds some reason to believe this.

IvanLCPM likes this.