1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pros and cons on stretching Knight now vs next summer vs holding out for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Dec 29, 2018.

?

What will be the most likely result of Brandon Knight contract?

1. Stretch now: Remaining 2 years contract would be stretched over 3 years and chance to get tax profit

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Stretch next summer: Remaining 1 year contract would be stretched 3 years but pay 16M tax now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Trade now: Unload him in a trade could have taken 2 future Firsts to accomplish and pay 16M tax now.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Trade next summer: It could have taken some future assets and need to pay 16M tax now.

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Other : please indicate pros and cons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Note: This just represent my personal idea. Please lock it down if you don't like it.
    The assumptions:
    1. Sacramento Kings refuse to take Brandon Knight contract this season.
    2. Not to increase next year's luxury tax

to get luxury tax profit this season, Morey has to
    Stretch Knight contract
    Salary dump on Chriss and Melo.

2019-2020 payroll
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/HOU.html

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Error:
    Stretch out Knight contract next summer can be 5-year.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I miss gregonomics

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Can bigbum lose thread starting privileges? That would improve our beloved site.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

DigDum back at it again

BamBam, topfive and arabrocket like this.
  6. macan

macan Member

fantastic!!

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The premise and reasoning of this thread is incorrect on several counts. I don’t have the energy to list them.

No offense, OP, but please don’t start a thread to propose a course of action you clearly have not researched sufficiently.

8. sefril

sefril Member

Welp BigDum, you just got THUGGED!

Thanks for your clarification, Bima. Save me some time to read the OP.

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Always good to see Bima show up and regulate

topfive likes this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

You just need to say an error. If you are unable to say it, I consider your post is not true.

I have option "other". If you disagree with any of them, you can select "other".

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

bigdumbass 1 of the sh*ttiest OP’s/thread starters I’ve ever seen...stop making threads fool, they’re always trash and never interesting

BamBam and topfive like this.
  12. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I know @BimaThug is the expert but I wanted to point out what I know:

- Stretching out Knight would be a luxury tax liability and (if even possible or feasible) would lead to dead money for years for the Rockets
    - Houston’s last possible scenario is waiving Melo/Chriss. Why? Because if the most likely event of no one picking them up on waivers is actualized the team would be obligated to pay the rest of their contracts, which is another tax liability.
    - Assuming the Kings will take on a rehabbing player like Knight is, to be kind about it, naive. They are not needing another Guard and most likely don’t want to take on another asset, especially if they decide they want to go to the playoffs this year.

There is more but I’ll leave it there. Please do some research next time. It’ll save you heartache (and us less threads).

Edit: the reason why they are keeping Melo until the last minute is to find a trade candidate that wants him. They may waive him in the end of the day but if they can trade him they won’t be obligated to pay his contract anymore, which is the best case scenario for the Rockets.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your whole premise is dum. The whole point of getting Knight was to take somebody they can use as trade and to save money on expirings. If they were planning to stretch the contract they wouldn't trade Anderson in the first place.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, riko and hakeem94 like this.
  16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The best option for this teams roster and future aspirations would be to hold him until next season and dump him near the trade deadline as an expiring contract to a team willing to part with a talented player who is not a perfect fit and assets in order to gain cap space for FA acquisitions.

Realistically, this teams first rounder will be in the 20-30 range, which means the chances of it being a real impact player is low (but not impossible...see Clint capela). Given that, parting with a first rounder is not a bad deal if it means Tillerman saves close to 30M in roster costs. That said, I'm not sure who will want to trade for Knight given how long his road seems and how poorly he has played. We desperately need him to improve, and I think we'll see MDA give him minutes come mid June to give him a chance to showcase himself for a trade.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I say keep him unless it’s a deal without Sac that drops us below the tax. Rather combine Chriss, Nene and Melo to match salaries then pay to dump Knights deal. He will be expiring next year and we can get value.