1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not viewing it through a competitive lens. I voted on the same ballot, albeit different candidates for different counties. It was very straightforward.

There is only so much you can do. I am not stating ballots can not be designed to be confusing (most of the propositions/amendments on ballots are already designed that way). What I am stating this specific ballot was not that confusing. If we are going to nit pick and criticize ballot designs, I would say most of the ballots in the US would have some other more significant fundamental flaw.

Im not a big fan of blaming refs when your team loses in OT. Especially when the refs are in your teams pocket.

2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

The ballot looks fine to *me*. I'm not into blaming (was there even blaming here?) Blaming or not, it doesn't mean you can't learn and improve on poor design. Is there improvement to be made - well, if there is stats that indicate an abnormal rate of selecting a Senator and there is good reason to believe its the design, you want to improve upon that. So even though it's not confusing to you and to me, the stats could said it is to enough number of voters, then it is indeed confusing and that is an opportunity for improvement... if we are all wanting as an accurate result as possible.

The 3.5% of voters that skipped voting for senator is a red flag that it was indeed the ballot design.

p.s. UI and UX is a pro field with pre-test and HF studies before commercial launch... might want to consider that for ballot design

No Worries likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

Democrats won House midterms by largest margin since Watergate scandal
    Democrats won the popular vote in the House by a whopping 8.6 million votes in this year's midterms. NBC News reports that number is the largest margin that Democrats have defeated Republicans in a midterm House election since 1974. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ms-largest-margin-since-watergate/2084052002/

Trump Is Beginning to Lose His Grip
    It isn’t just white suburban women who switched to Democrats.
    Parts of rural and white working class America peeled off too.

the 2018 mid-term election generated the highest off-year turnout in in 50 years.

It was expected that the Dems would gain in the suburbs; but that's not where they realized the biggest gain. Shockingly, the Dems made their biggest gain in the rural areas.

Dems cut the Republicans’ margin in rural areas by 13 points;.
    they still lost rural America by somewhere between 14 and 18 point

Democrats did not win simply because white women with college degrees rebelled against Mr. Trump’s misogyny, sexism and disrespect for women. Nearly every category of women rebelled

The Democratic wave exposed Trump’s vulnerability and suggests a less polarized country. In the face of his divisive campaign, parts of rural and working class America peeled off..'
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/17/opinion/sunday/trump-is-beginning-to-lose-his-grip.html

Amiga likes this.
  4. TricePaige

TricePaige Member

Thanks! Wish em good luck:)

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Making Ocasio-Cortez the face of the party sure did doom the Democrats.

No Worries likes this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ocasio-Cortez didn't hurt them in mid-terms, but now that she is in Congress, the game changes. Her effect on 2020 is to be determined.

I can see it going either way. Her warts are starting to show.

7. Buck Turgidson

She does not have the gravitas nor the qualifications to be the face of the Dem Party, I'm glad she got elected but she needs to take a non-public position and work to get her ideas more into the mainstream of the Dems and the Congress, the GOP will make her a national lightningrod and she is not ready for it.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The problem is O-C is doing everything possible to draw attention to herself. It's as if that is her primary goal, far more than anything else.

We'll see if she wants to actually get things done or just stir the pot every chance she gets. I don't have a good feeling, but let's give her a chance.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It is also the primary goal of the Republican Party to make Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez the face of the Democratic Party.

Deckard and A_3PO like this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. My comment was a joke. Democrats aren’t trying to make her the face of the party, the Republicans are. From what I can see OC hasn’t made more than a typical number of missteps or misstatements for a member of Congress. And far far fewer than the ****ing president of the United States. But the Republicans are trying to run the Pelosi playbook on her and a surprising number of Non-Republicans are falling for it. Again.

Deckard, RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

name some Non-Republicans who are "falling for it".

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Making Nancy Pelosi the face of Democrats didn't work out so well for the House races so they have to find a new boogeywoman.

FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...somebody needs to show the Donald and his people that THIS is how you do a smear campaign...

15. Buck Turgidson

In these days of tweets and soundbites, does it really matter?

16. NewRoxFan

republicans will do anything to keep power and prevent voters from having a say in who represents them...

Republican Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona to Resign at Year’s End
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ganic&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=business

17. NewRoxFan

See above... mcsally obviously apologizing with hope of getting appointed to mccain/kyle senate seat...

18. NewRoxFan

Gee, shocked...

19. NewRoxFan

LOL... this coming from a republican...

20. NewRoxFan