1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walter E. Williams: AA civil rights leader speaks on biggest problem plaguing AA community

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Nov 15, 2018.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Clearly drawn by someone who bites on troll bait and gets the piss taken out of them on a constant basis. I love this! Thanks for sharing.

Nook likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. We are talking about several different things. Becoming better fathers is something each person must do for themselves. It isn't something that the government mandates and so why would there be a lot of public outcry about that?

2. One side is proposing solutions. They are talking about increasing educational funding. They are talking about improving the schools in impoverished areas. One side is talking about fixing the prejudice and discrimination that exists in the criminal justice system. One side is talking about job training programs. One side is talking about a higher minimum wage. One side is talking about these things because these are steps the government can take to help solve the problems. It is my belief that inside the communities, churches, temples, mosques, and families minorities and black men are talking about being good FATHERS and working hard.

3. Asians not getting involved in politics to a larger degree allows Asian communities to be discriminated against. Just look at how quickly they were thrown under the bus during the riots after the Rodney King episode. The police were on their way to Korea Town to protect the area when the police started getting worried calls from the folks from Beverley Hills. The police then all were ordered to abandon Korea Town and positioned around the perimeter of Beverley Hills. So while the riots were going on along with the looting and violence in Korea Town, the police sat on the outside of Beverley Hills and did nothing.

4. Your stereotyping of the Asians have already been addressed, but it was off base.

So all the celebs are wicked? I'm not sure where you getting the evidence for all of these broad generalizations.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You assume the police diverted because they were asian, instead of the fact that they just weren't rich and powerful elites living in Beverly Hills. Most places with normal people would be left to burn if it meant saving The Hills of the wealthy and elite. Sorry... life typically sucks regardless of race.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Uhm... You can't blame race for the poverty and problems that face "black communities", yet when the powers favor the white folks and is a disadvantage to the minorities it is because of money and not race.

You are pulling a double standard.

But you are off base. The community that the police were ordered to abandon was one that was overwhelmingly Asian. The community they were ordered to protect was one that was overwhelmingly white.

Now you might try and say that it was because of money and elite. But that belies the premise which is that Asians don't get involved in politics. If the members of Korea Town didn't just buy into the idea that if they worked hard and prospered everything would be alright that wouldn't have happened. If members of that community were politically active and involved in politics that wouldn't have happened.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Not sure what you mean about how am I pulling a double standard? I just was saying that I don't see how race plays a role when there is a more obvious answer. Also it isn't only whites living in Beverly Hills. You are putting words in my mouth I think.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No, it isn't only whites that live in Beverley Hills. That is correct. But Beverley Hills is still overwhelmingly a white community.

The point was about being politically active. The claim I was responding to mentioned Asians not being politically active. I mentioned that a lack of political activity cost them property, profit, and lives, and peace of mind. Asians and African Americans would be better served by banning together to fight against the unfair treatment.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Why am I accountable for gang bangers in Chicago? Why am I instantly connected to every black person in America so that when they do something wrong I need to be held accountable for their actions?

This is ONLY asked of minorities. If a Muslim does something across the globe you have conservatives literally on Fox TV asking Muslims in America to denounce it. Meanwhile, a white guy shoots up a place weekly and its 'Lone wolf, mental health...'

No, it's not like only white people run it and are you seriously saying that asking for EQUAL treatment is asking something from white people? It is asking something of the government, I don't care who runs the government, it should be fair and equal for all of its citizens.

Also, your Model Minority trope...
    https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781317264668
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ucation/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.15079f9ec38a

I don't feel like AAs lack a culture, we mostly share the same culture as white americans or most Americans. It's really not all that distinct. Culture as defined is how people talk, language, music/arts they share, activities...I mean this board here is an example of a shared culture that most Americans share. In America there's sub-cultures and its really not all that much divided by race.

If you listen to rap music you're likely to dress a certain way, talk a certain way, etc etc...

Yeah, I have no control over how others raise or not raise their kids. You should be telling this to a more directed audience, scolding me for other people's responsibilities doesn't help.

People have been saying the same thing for years now, and yes black people. What has it helped? It doesn't, in the end. You can tell people over and over and over again not to do drugs cuz drugs are bad (mmkay) and people still do it. We still have a drug epidemic. Just saying things and preaching for people doesn't really work, if that's your main solution then I'm sorry, I think there's better solutions out there than that....and it's not even true that no one talks about gang violence and stuff, people always do.

But at some point it gets hard to be decent, what if it wasn't just your oline? What if you had no running back, what id your WRs were also bad, and what if your coach had no clue as to what he was doing?

At some point, the obstacle is too hard to hurdle. If a kid's father is taken away from him due to a weed charge for instance, then what? I'd say the kid was taken away from his father...or what about cases like Philando Castile? He was a father.

I really don't see how asking for the goverment to treat you fairly is asking anything from white people.

That's like, another sports analogy...asking the refs to just call the game fair and call GSWs moving screens...and then Durant going "Well, you're asking something from us!" Nooo...you're asking for the game to be called fairly, for both sides.

jcf likes this.
  8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think posters should sometimes attempt to answer their own questions before they ask them to others. Pet peeve, I guess.

For example, if you would have attempted to answer your question you might have come to the conclusion that absent or terrible fathers produce kids who could grow up to cause trouble for the public at large. Therefore, the public at large has reason to worry about it.

That sounds like a list of demands to those that control this society. The people who would decide on meeting those demands stand to lose what they have built. If they fix something like plumbing in impoverished schools, then their kids won't have the latest technology in their schools. If we start treating y'all like we treat ourselves in the justice system, then we won't have enough of you people in jail. We don't want to train you to do jobs that we're already doing and getting paid well to do. We already pay y'all too much.

They need to walk it like they talk it, then.

That was 25 years ago so Asians aren't at the same place that they were. But this is a great example of some of the things I'm discussing here. Mainly, how people treat each other when there are differences and similarities between them. Blacks gave special treatment to Korean businesses, while whites gave special treatment to white properties.

I would feel wrong to apologize for stereotyping Asians in the way that I did.

When they get to a certain level, they probably are, they probably have to be. For the purposes of this discussion, though, it would have been better if I didn't mention that. I just think it's problematic when children substitute the absent father figure for a celebrity. Like I said, they're terrible judges of character, terrible decision makers, and they're very impressionable.

Senator and deadlybulb like this.
  9. Senator

Senator Member

While I agree with all your points, I don't think this is a fair comparison. The Asians that immigrated were either white collar professionals or very comfortable at finding a niche in the service/food industry, whereas blacks and hispanics were used for labor primarily. The median doesn't test as high in IQ tests either so less options.

10. Senator

Senator Member

Brother, brother, brother. You type so much, but you just don't get it. And that's the primary core of the issue. Listen to Aleron. Listen to Jumpman. They are people who "get it", and in order to overcome a disadvantageous situation, you have to get it. Ask Gandhi, ask Mandela, ask brighter minds. Just don't keep asking dumb white men to look past the stats, it won't happen.

deadlybulb likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, Bobby would be proud. Just another "My opinion is right because I'm intelligent and you know nothing..."

Not sure what Gandhi or Mandela have to do with any of this and the stats show that blacks are not treated fairly by the criminal justice system, so yeah, stop looking past them.

12. Senator

Senator Member

Post that quote. Being sympathetic towards criminals doesn't mean identifying with them. This is about having accountability and getting past white man this, white man that, as the only way to overcome disenfranchisement. The odds are not even, they never have been, so what you need for a power shift is physical evidence showing crime, drug use and general aggression have gone down.

Nothing else will work.

NOT media narratives over unjust killings. That + Colin K's kneeling will never accomplish anything in a country of 300 million with the history it has had. To the man in power, the stats matter, and he knows the majority (99%+) killings that would have happened to any race based on the stats. To the law abiding poor, the stats matter, and their paranoia is another barrier to integration. It is not fair to be judged on the actions of a few, no one will argue it is, but life is not fair and you have to tip the scales in your favor when you come from a disadvantaged position.

You're not the only one. You don't know any secrets I don't. The whole premise of only other black people get us is wrong, plain and simple, and keeps the divide strong. You have to integrate, atleast from a job perspective, and in order to do that, don't pick up a gun for 2 years. Don't waste your time with conspiracy theories. Demonize and outlaw drugs and the concept of coming from nothing, however true it may be. And celebrities have to take part because of the lack of role models in the current community. That is the way forward instead of continuing the bickering and demonizing that has never led to anything. You have been told the way forward - now it is up to you to use it or not.

Champs and deadlybulb like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not sure why you continue to single out AA’s when the statistics are clear, the problem is men.

An overwhelming % of violence is committed by men. A staggering % of murders against women are committed by men. The vast majority of crime is committed by men. Men are abandoning their children. Men are raping women and abusing children.

This is a male issue and not an AA issue.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. amaru

amaru Member

No need to post the quote. You highlighted it in the initial post.

Didn’t read any part of this post after the first 2 sentences :)

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think there was a misunderstanding. Of course, our society is better when parents are better for their children. However, the solution isn't one to which the public at large has a solution.

[/I]Those are solutions that society at large can do. People don't stand to lose anything. Or anything they might possibly lose would be minimal. Society as a whole would stand to gain from it including those who lose their time or energy or whatever in instituting those programs. Hopefully, those training might also be paid for their work.
    Sure, so does everyone else.

Yes, thankfully Asians are largely more engaged politically. The majority of the "Blacks" did absolutely nothing wrong during those riots. Addressing Blacks in general with the crimes of a very small minority of the community is part of the problem. Furthermore, if the whites who were in charge had actually addressed those that were in need instead of those that paid the campaign donations it would have been better for everyone.

You can feel however, you want.

When they get to a certain level, they probably are, they probably have to be. For the purposes of this discussion, though, it would have been better if I didn't mention that. I just think it's problematic when children substitute the absent father figure for a celebrity. Like I said, they're terrible judges of character, terrible decision makers, and they're very impressionable.[/QUOTE]I don't think you really know too many celebrities. As with other groups you seem to read bad news and apply it to the majority of a group.

jcf likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The irony is that you are the main person bickering about and demonizing black people in this forum lol.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is very naive. Black people make up 12% of the population, they will never have enough police officers, judges, business owners, educators, and politicians to stop subjugation along racial lines. It's a mathematical impossibility.

Justice is an inalienable right, it's not something we should have to ask for in society. You've put the burden of justice on the people targeted for injustice.

18. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

There is no point. We can keep telling these goofs how to be better in life but they will never listen. These people are perpetual victims. Anything and everything that is wrong in their lives is someone else's fault. They will cry and point the finger perpetually and refuse to take any personal responsibility, They don;t know any other way.

Have you noticed posters like JayGoogle and CometsWin pretty much spend their entire lives just posting garbage on this forum? That's pretty much their whole life, complaining about the White man holding them down. We know that that energy would be much better served working a full time job and contributing to society, but they will never do this because they love complaining about racial victimization. And the Dems keep them down and basically slaves to them by rallying them to keep that stupid victim mentality.

Yes, we all know the path to get better. But they will never see it. They are too blinded by victim-hood. They wallow in it. They revel in it. It's super pathetic.

Senator, seriously stop wasting time on these flakes.

19. Senator

Senator Member

Nope, I'm posting the stats that lead to contentious race relations and showing you how to improve. But if you don't have the IQ to get it, I've realized things are fine staying the way they are which is what you obviously want. You are cool with it. I'll work on issues with people willing to embrace progress.

20. Senator

Senator Member

Why not? Do you struggle to read?