1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

cancelled movie pass a few months back when it looked like they were gonna go under. whats the best service now? AMC A list, sinemia, go back to moviepass?

edit: well AMC is outta the picture didn't realize no AMC theaters near me.

#221 FlyerFanatic, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Question for you guys with any of these movie passes...

I love movies but don't currently go to the movies once a month or more. I'm more in that ~8 movies a year range. Did you guys end up going to more movies with the pass? Did you enjoy it or did you feel obligated to get your money's worth?

3. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i had moviepass there for awhile...cancelled a few months back. i certainly did. before it i was pretty picky about what movies i'd spend money on. but with the ability to see as many as i wanted i'd certainly go see movies i normally wouldn't have without the pass. no real obligation to get moneys worth per say...i mean you go to 1 movie a month you were paying for the service so anymore it was just gravy.

i think i may re sign up don't know if i'll go moviepass again...think from what i saw...they now have settled on 3 movies a month for 10 bucks? think sinemia has some other options including a 30 bucks a month for 30 movies a month...basically a movie a day. don't know if i'll do that...i also don't care about imax/3d stuff so i could even get one of the cheaper plans for a few movies a month.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Really depends if you think your viewing habits will change after getting a subscription. I already watch a bunch of movies but there are some movies I tend to watch where I wouldn't in theaters if I didn't have a subscription, some recent ones for me was The Meg, Night School, and Predator. If you think you'll just stick to the 1 movie a month, I'd look into Cinemark's Movie Club. It's $9/month for 1 ticket/month, plus 20% off concessions, but if you don't use your ticket for the month, it rolls over. If you use it more than once a month, each ticket is $9, which isn't bad since night showings are $11+ now.

If you have AMC around you, I'd highly recommend A-List Stubs. Curious to know how Sinemia is, it's worth it for the advance ticketing option alone but hate they have a $20 initiation fee if you do month to month.

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Before I signed up for Movie Pass, I was only seeing 1 or 2 movies a year. Having the service did make me feel obligated to go out and see more movies, but I enjoyed it. I've currently seen 18 movies in theaters this year.

If you think that you'd like to see more movies in theaters, I believe these plans are worth it. I'd stay away from Movie Pass at this point, but I've found that Sinemia is a decent option. I'm currently paying $10/month for 3 movies per month.

6. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

hmm just read with sinemia you have to end up paying 1-2 dollar charges through 3rd party sites like fandango/movietickets.com etc since they're cardless you get tix through those sites and they charge the 1-2 dollar fees. bummer.

looks like i may have to either go back to moviepass or just say screw it. no AMC theaters near me :(

7. Dave2000

From my understanding, u do get a "virtual" card to use in person, you can bypass the fees by getting your advance tickets through Facebook where they pay the fees for you

8. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah but now i gotta get a FB account just to by pass fees? ehhh

9. Dave2000

lol, I get you :)

10. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

Moviepass is officially dead to me! I bought a one year subscription from Costco that I will be cancelling very soon. Not sure what happened, but Studio Movie Grille stopped offering show times, which was the ONLY reason I did not cancel. I thought it was a smart partnership, since I would always order drinks/food. The selection is literally down to the River Oaks theatre and one crap movie in select theatres. I have a feeling they will be going bankrupt very soon based off the selection..

11. Dave2000

I've already cancelled mine, kind of useless, in the same boat as you, I was pissed SMG was not one of the options anymore for E Tickets. Their "choice" of movies to select are pretty much all Indie movies that most theaters didn't have. I'm sticking to AMC A-List.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A-list Price is staying the same for me. They announced some customers will see increases based on location. Love it so far.

Snow Villiers and Dave2000 like this.
  13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Sinemia recently started charging a processing fee of $1.80 per movie and didn't even send out an email to customers. That's in addition to the ~$1.50 per movie that sites like Atom and Fandango charge as convenience fees. What is with these companies and their shady business practices?

14. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

hmm didnt know about the 1.80 processing fee....i ended up creating a FB account and using that. if you go to facebook.com/movies and select your theater/movie from there FB waives the fee from atom/fandango

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I’ve noticed there is almost never a movie available at any standard theatre. Doesn’t affect me, but it wouldn’t be worth it anymore if you aren’t near Landmark theatres

16. Dave2000

FYI, Dolby Screen is now open at Studio 30, just checked show times and they're showing Grinch there tomorrow night, not sure how long it's been open, definitely happy about it

glad_ken likes this.
  17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Yeah, I just noticed the new processing fee on my last 2 movies. Already using FB to get around the fees from Atom, but I think that is ending on 12/31/18. Once that ends, I'll be basically paying an additional $10/month in fees when I'm already paying $10/month for the service.

18. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Umm, the Moviepass app really wants me to watch Venom and a few unknown indie films.

Guess it's time to cancel the service.

Dave2000 likes this.
  19. Dave2000

It was worse than that for the past week, at least there was Venom, there were days where most movies are showing in less than 500 theaters nationwide. They didn't ask for proof for tickets and was just going around that by checking in for one movie, then buy for another. If you don't go to the multiplexes that have indie movies, it is truly worthless

fwiw, I was fine paying $25-30 when I first signed up back in 2013, I'd get my moneys worth with some rare months I"d break even.

Eric Riley likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Those were to true great days of movie pass. Not a lot of people had it and it worked great.

Dave2000 likes this.