1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here comes the son

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, Oct 25, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My first child (boy) will be here in less than 24 hours. Lot of good dads around these parts, so any advice for navigating the birthing process and immediate aftermath would be appreciated. Wish me luck!

Rocket River, whag00, TMac'n and 36 others like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

good luck to your wife breh! and happy for the both of you. as soon as you see your kid and hear him cry, it's like a whole new category of happiness that you have never felt.

what's the name of the new rockets fan?
    i also made my kid and email and instagram on the date of birth, already preparing for teh reel wurld.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This:

[​IMG]

Hope and pray the little turd isn't like my oldest that never wanted to sleep at night.

Try not to sleep with them once y'all are home because they become accustomed to the body heat and start to rely on it in order to STAY asleep.

Overall, just use common sense. From your posting history you seem to have a good amount of that and if that falters feel free to ask us specifically what you're having trouble with. I'm sure a majority of us have dealt with whatever is up ahead for you 3.

Most of all good luck and ENJOY!!!!

Yung-T likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Congrats!!! That's great news!!

Nook likes this.
  5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

It's OK to ask for help, people will offer it. But also, don't let them take over your house.

My wife didn't want to use things like a pacifier - because we were trying to get the kiddo to not "need" something to calm himself down. Everytime we turned around "where's his paci, why doesn't he have a pacifier, you should really look into getting him a pacifier." He never really needed one, and sleeps like a champ and didn't cry too much.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Congrats! It really is an amazing experience.

Wife and I have a one year old girl (our first). Her favorite toy/activity is already bouncing and dunking the basketball from her little tikes hoop set, which I may or may not have had anything to do with.

I have learned from talking to others that every kid/situation is unique, what works for some will not work for others. But feel free to post any questions as they come.

There's really not much to advise on re: the birth besides the obvious of being positive and supportive. If you have family coming to the hospital, you'll need to manage that according to who you guys want in the room if anyone. Also, this may differ per hospital but it was well over an hour after delivery that the guests were allowed to come into the room - our family was understandably anxious and ready to come in much sooner. Something you may want to find out and communicate.

First hours/day back home from the hospital was unnerving (like, oh ****, we are solely responsible for keeping this thing alive and healthy!) but also euphoric. One difficult thing was managing visitors, timing when they would visit so that we could nap. I remember being desperate for 5 or 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep for the first few weeks (and I wasn't even the one nursing). But you do get somewhat used to it and it does get better, definitely improved for us around the 8 week mark.

Richie_Rich and daywalker02 like this.
  7. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

I don't have kids, but congrats.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lots of first timers this year around. My kid is turning 5 months soon.
    Well, a good midwife, a good doctor, and a solid hospital are paramount.

Her water broke, so our kid was delivered within 6 hours after that. A day before our estimated birth date.

We took a class for breathing under duress and contractions.

Also lactation process will be different from mother to mother, some have milk earlier than others. Just give it time, I know it will be stressful.

For the dads, pack energy drinks and one or two protein bars for the small hunger!

#8 daywalker02, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Just had my first in April. Those first two months will make you question why you had a kid in the first place. Hang in there, once he starts recognizing you and smiling, it totally becomes worth it. My son is 6 months now and every day is better than the last.

As far as the immediate aftermath of birthing, there's a good chance that breastfeeding (if y'all choose to do that) will be a struggle initially. That's normal, and it will get better and easier every day. If you have any friends or family in the area that offer to come over and watch the baby for a little while, take them up on it. You'll cherish any sleep you can get in those first few weeks.

Good luck!

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

I learned they really don't appreciate you playing Ocarina of Time while they're changing diapers...

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Congrats, very happy for you!

First of all, sleep when he sleeps. No matter when that is.

Second, take all the help you can get from family but don't let them totally take over. The 3 of you are a family now.

Finally, enjoy every second because it will be over before you know it. Seems like just a few months ago, we were bringing our boys home from the hospital. Now I'm coaching their soccer team. Time flies, man!

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Just enjoy the whole experience, your going to be a great father!

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

During the birth itself, all you can be is supportive. It's a bit late, but a doula was very helpful and she helped manage the process especially since ours was a 17 hour one.

Be sure to communicate with the staff, and your family for that matter, on what you want. For example, does the mom want immediate skin to skin contact? Do you want the baby to sleep in your room afterward?

Also, take a diffuser and have some relaxing music handy

I would also recommend meeting with a lactation consultant, not just a regular nurse.

Like mentioned earlier, don't be afraid to ask for help. The first 3 months are pretty rough. Stay strong.

Richie_Rich and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Be as patient as possible....... and then even more patient.

Try to enjoy it...... and your life will never be the same, and in a good way.

Also remember it isn't all about your son, keep your wife happy as well........ it will likely be very hard for her.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A nurse once told me, "don't give her your whole hand to hold, she will crush it. Give her only 2 fingers."

That's what she said.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Congrats, breh.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Despite what people say, watching a live birth is not a beautiful thing...

Not that you won't be thrilled with the arrival of your child, but it is not a beautiful viewing experience.

Congrats!

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Congrats!

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Heres my 2 month advice. Having to feed her every 3 hours is killer.

I will stay up with the baby and do a 2 am bottle and then sleep till 8. Wife sleeps from 10 or 11 to 5 and wakes up for the next feeding.

We both get 6 hours, which is helpful.

Xerobull and daywalker02 like this.
  20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Congrats to you and your lovely wife, my brother.

You've made it past the final anxious month and now you're ready to get to Stage 2.

I assume this is her first child too, so your role should be to be the rock in that delivery room. Project a calm and in control influence over the room even if all hell is breaking loose. Try to keep the mood light. Keep her in good spirits as much as you can. If the nurse asks about the epidural, TAKE THAT **** IMMEDIATELY! You are just witnessing the miracle of childbirth, she's the one who has to experience it. This fact may not be lost on her several times throughout and may lead to some harsh words or even attempted physical abuse. This is normal. You will need to be whatever she needs you to be, and they may include a punching bag. Reassure her that everything will be A-okay and after it is over, everything will finally be a 50/50 split (What they don't know won't hurt em, lulz).

Be prepared to see a lot of bodily fluids. Personally, I would not focus your eyes too much on ground zero. It might give you a complex later on. I still remember suddenly noticing a large bowl of blood nearby.

It is a wondrous experience of a lifetime. Try to remember that throughout.

After you get home, you're ****ed. No more sleep for at least a year.