1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Taking away someone's vote is the most severe type of disenfranchisement. That's what is happening.

It's a dirty game they are playing, and if they do take away votes, it undermines the democracy. Once they start taking votes away, they are asking for violent rebellion.

2. biina

biina Member

Its subverting democracy when said voting laws denies legitimate voters the opportunity to exercise their voting rights

The GOP doesnt care about the integrity of elections. Faced with the truth of foreign interference in our election, the GOP has quashed all bills and efforts to protect the system.

According to you, the GOP, that hasnt done anything to protect our elections from the clear and present threat of foreign interference in our elections, is so worried about this fictional voter fraud that could maybe potentially possibly happen in the future that it needs to put laws in place that makes it more difficult for citizens to vote today, and said law seems to disproportionately affect the supporters of the other party? Forgive me if I dont accompany you on your journey of folly and stupidity.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I know precisely where you're coming from. This is a proclaimed injury that you want fixed. You see 53000 disenfranchised potential voters. Once the numbers are filtered down, its closer to 5000 lost votes for Democrats. (38% turnout with 75% being Democrats).

When this topic comes up, I see millions of disenfranchised voters, not 53000 or whatever number comes up for said injury. I also acknowledge states have the right to set their rules as loose or as tight as they choose. NH for example, allows for same day voter registration. They also have some of the highest turnout in the country. And the party who stands the least to gain from it is also the party that opposes this measure...which are the Democrats.

Ironically enough its when I lived in GA when I become agitated with voter registration requirements and voting in general. I just transferred my license and i distinctly remember filling out a voter registration card, as I thought it was archaic i had to fill out additional form that may or may not get inputted. And mine did not. And then later I had to deal with closed primaries (this is when I learned that if I register independent, then for all practical purposes, I am excluded from primaries). If you let the idea of closed primaries sink it, it is the greatest form of voter disenfranchisement in this country... by far. This system is setup not to disenfranchise Republicans or Democrats, but to forever ensure there will never be a 3rd party foothold take place. This is deep rooted corruption colluded by both parties. When both parties are playing dirty together, I certainly dont care when one of those parties takes advantage of the other.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then if you believe that requiring ID is a legitimate barrier between people and their rights, and that's exactly what you are saying here, you have to then believe that ID can never be required when it comes to something you have a constitutional right to do....thus you cannot require ID for firearm purchases because you've established that it is an unacceptable barrier between people and their rights. All I'm asking is for a little bit of consistency on your part. I know you probably aren't capable of it, but try.

cml750 and John Oliver like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

#285 Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why don't we all agree that GA should just ban black people from voting. It would be so much more straight-forward and get to the end result faster.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I just have to say that to those of you saying that voter ID laws disenfranchise minorities. That is an inherently racist statement and point of view. When you say that, you are implying that minorities are so helpless that they cannot figure out how to obtain a government issued ID. You liberals are by far the biggest racists in the political spectrum and have been since the days of slavery.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is very true, but they'll just dismiss it outright.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where have we seen these kinds of defenses against laws intended to stop minorities from voting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test

We have our own George Wallace here.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. John Oliver

John Oliver Member

THIS.

11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Or

"I'm not racist; you're racist!"

mdrowe00 and JayGoogle like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m not sure who’s side I’d want to be on less during a revolution, Bobby or Sweet Lou.

body slam and Space Ghost like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

... is the same defense racists used in while defending the racist literacy tests which were eventually outlawed because of their racism. Please don't make the same mistakes that were made in our nation's racist past.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

HEADS UP! All states purge records from time to time.

cml750 likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

nuts. and republicans will defend this as fighting imaginary voter fraud

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. body slam

body slam Member

If I heard correctly on tonight's fox 26 news Waller County will be allowing non county residents going to Prairie View the right to vote in the up and coming Waller County election. I was not totally paying attention but pretty sure that is what was said.

My apologies in advance just in case I misunderstood and have this all mixed up.

19. body slam

body slam Member

Students will be allowed to update their address after they vote.

What happens if they don't change their address after voting?

#299 body slam, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Good graphic on turnout. You can see how much TN's strict voting id laws have helped Republicans secure it for themselve - it has one of the worst turnouts now:

[​IMG]