1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is not a government of the people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is a government of the extreme right which has used the slimmest of margins to disrupt the will of the people.

1. A president who came to power despite losing the popular vote, with help with Russian interference and voter laws meant to discourage minorities from voting.
    2. A house of representatives built on gerrymandering and cash
    3. A Senate of the slimmest of margins, empowered by throwing out rules designed to prevent exactly what has happened
    4. A Supreme court that became right-wing through blocking one president's nomination for a vote, and allowing another president to put in a disgusting hyper-partisan hack beholden to the president - unfit to sit on the court. A court that has lost the confidence of over half the country

Our country is divided. And the majority of the country doesn't see our gov't as fair, just, or even legitimate. I certainly don't. I see the right now will use its power to permanently change this country is radical ways, eliminate democratic protections, roll back civil rights, and cement that power permanently.

I don't see any going back. With the courts now in his pockets, this president can literally get away with dangerous unprecedented acts. He can impose martial law and control elections. We've just taken a step towards totalitarianism.

The right on here will celebrate this of course, and claim the "libtards" are panicking. But I just can't see how a gov't that has a clown as a president, a joke of a Supreme Court, and a hyper partisan congress that is slave to this nut case in the oval office is a gov't we should trust.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure."

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

There is a reason the election in 2016 was pretty ****ing important, yet we had people not voting because of principle or voting independent out of spite.

Everybody underestimated Trump and here we are, we have conservative majority in all branches of government. I'm disappointed, but maybe people will get off their asses and actually go vote during the midterms.

#2 ElPigto, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  3. jsingles

jsingles Member

I wish Democrats would do more than protest after the fact and b**** and moan about constantly losing. You win, and change government, by winning elections, first at the local level. How this concept is lost on so many is mind-boggling, winning elections creates change. If you can't start there, then maybe your ideas really are the minority. I'll find clips of Trump from his Apprentice days, and I think "wow, this guy is PRESIDENT of the United States." The Democrats couldn't find a candidate that could beat a guy who has made disparaging remarks about women, cheated hundreds of people out of thousands of dollars by running a scam of a school, insulted allied countries on a national stage. Hell, he even ran over people in his own party in a manner I don't think resembles anything Presidential during the debates and afterwards. So, so many people in his administration and former members have come out stating Trump's intelligence is that of a child, yet the Dems couldn't do any better? Blame Russia (lol, ok, Russians voted in the tens of thousands to get him the EC) or whatever you'd like, but you have to win elections to make change. Get better candidates, win elections, ACTUALLY make change, stop crying and moaning, it's pathetic to watch.

Kavanaugh getting his nomination today likely changes nothing in my life, yet there are people out there thinking the world is ending. How many times are the Dems going to lose, think the world is going to end, and then lose again and then cry, again?

Granville likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Get out and vote responsibly everybody. Democrats have to stop thinking this game is fair. Start cheating and lying. I'm going to go watch sports now.

5. dmoneybangbang

Go vote. The GOP doesn't do well when people get out and vote.

seemoreroyals, RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As mentioned before, vote.

Half of the country, nearly half, IIRC, doesn't vote.

Tell everyone you know to vote. No, demand it of them. If they complain then tell them to STFU or vote.

The people ALWAYS hold the power. Always. Even when the game isn't fair, the people ultimately hold the power. The people allow the government to exist. Never forget that.

So use your power and vote.

seemoreroyals, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I will also like to add that every other country makes it extremely easy to vote. Other countries you can register to vote and cast your vote the same day. It's the United States that deliberately tries to make it difficult to vote so it's citizens can't use their power.

JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well... not in some of 45's favorite countries. :D

DPRK, Romania, Russia, Turkey, to name only a few of the very best countries.

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Can you please tell me exactly how Russian interference helped Trump win?

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Your mantra is scaring me. Vote at the booth, not with the end of your barrel.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The United States doesnt. The Democrats and Republicans do. Stop supporting them.

jsingles likes this.
  12. Aceshigh7

Nearly every other country also has mandatory voter ID also.

Tell you what, I'd gladly allow same-day voter registration if we also mandate nationwide voter ID. Deal?

Downtown Sniper and John Oliver like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Other countries make it extremely easy to obtain MULTIPLE forms of ID also. So yeah whatever.

14. Aceshigh7

Weak response. Doesn't get much easier than in the US. If you can't figure out how to obtain a government-issued form of ID in this country, you're probably functionally r****ded and shouldn't be voting in the first place.

RocketsLegend and John Oliver like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It isn't a weak response. If you have to go somewhere to "figure it out" then it's too hard. Other countries just simply issue the ID. In the US you have to go out and get one.. Figure it out.

The only reason I have a valid ID is because I drive and have a DL and I travel so I have a passport. What other forms or ID are there? I wouldn't know not r****ded though.

I bet you right now if someone in congress put up some bill to give every citizen a valid ID that would automatically register them to vote and prove their citizenship a majority of the republicans would vote no and say it's too expensive.

#15 DreamShook, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. dmoneybangbang

By supporting and pushing propaganda specifically against Clinton. If it's doesn't move the needle, then why do it?

17. dmoneybangbang

This. The GOP knows the math doesn't work in their favor when people get out and vote.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Our country is dived because liberals created a toxic environment in the last 10 years. It used to be a few but now the toxicity has spread to Democratic politicians. Kamala Harris, Corey Booker to name a few but don't worry we'll vote these cockroaches out

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Pack the motha f'ing anti-democratic S. Ct. which is just the result of billionaires buying the senators who then vote for the Judges the billionaires demand. . Replace the contented moderate nice guy Dems of the Clinton-Obama wing who have gotten their asses whipped so decisively in the last 30 years. Writing nice legal briefs to these right wing judges and moderate appeals to the contented social liberals in Wall Street/Silicon Valley will not turn it around for the Democratic Party or the average American.

20. biina

biina Member

The GOP has always been desperate for power and ever willing to do anything for it - morality and legality be damned. They have often used the SCOTUS to further their interest e.g. Bush vs Gore. At the end of the day Bush led us into wars and a recession.n

The toxicity was further added by the GOP and their obstructionist actions during the Obama era.

Anyways its too late to stop now. The political civil war will likely continue till one side is fully suppressed and no longer has a voice.

The only possible upside is that we will likely be seeing increased voter turnout with each round of elections.