1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to the movies solo?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaBeard, Jul 14, 2018.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I don't go often either... but only to Alamo/Flix typically. Haven't gone by myself in years, but if I choose to, it'd be the same as it was before. No one cares

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't think that it can't happen to someone in a committed long term relationship with a person who knows you very well. That can be frustrating, but when the situation isn't intentional, you just roll with it. Ultimately, the other part of the equation calls the shots, of course. I'm lucky. My chick loves modern science.

The difference (OK , there are multiple differences between us, but I'll put that aside) is that as someone who has a prescription for the "blue pill," I know the instructions say that if the desired result ends up lasting more that 4-6 hours with your equipment at attention non-stop, and that is what you experienced, it's not good at all. It shouldn't be on duty non-stop, but rather it should come instantly to attention when you have the slightest interest, like for 4-6 hours - an hour after taking it. It depends on the patient's response to the drug, of course (results vary!). Eddie was on-target when he said it could cause permanent damage to your equipment. That's why a non-stop "boner" for several hours can be cause for alarm. 12 hours is a crazy long time, at least twice too long, and again, it shouldn't be non-stop. That calls for a trip to the emergency room in the instructions. Not kidding.

My suggestion is that you ask your MD for a trial dosage (probably free - the drug company wants more customers and handing out a few to a patient to check out is a common practice). The reason? That's up to you, but a common cause is the lack of a "salute" sometimes on the part of your equipment when called into action. He or she will give you all the instructions you need.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Entropy

Entropy Member

Yes, because I watch a film to enjoy it for it's own merits, not to use it as a tool for socialization (although that's cool too).

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I've gone by myself a few times. Very few films warrant actually needing to see in theaters though. I usually wait for the DVDs to come out.

TheresTheDagger and daywalker02 like this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Once you go by yourself a few times you realize how absolutely absurd this thread even is. Of course its okay to go to the movies by yourself.

Is it okay to watch TV shows by yourself? Or play video games by yourself? Then you can go to the movies.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Been to movies by myself plenty of times...not sure why that's strange. My wife and kids (girls) aren't into marvel stuff so I watch pretty much all of those alone. I worked out of town for weeks on end before and went to watch stuff when I had downtime. Never felt like it was weird. Heck, if anything I don't have to worry about who should get the shared armrest if I sit away from folks.

Deckard likes this.
  7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Dont worry about what the world think, just be yourself. You are beautiful no matter what you say!

Deckard likes this.
  8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I used to travel 100% of the time, so I learned to go by myself. Now, I still do - and I don't mind it one bit. No one is looking at you, or cares why you're there alone.

Deckard likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been a couple of times by myself. I had time others didn't or I took the opportunity to see something that wouldn't interest others. I didn't even think about it appearing odd or what it would seem to others. I don't think anyone noticed or cared. Most people are into their own thing too much to worry about someone at a movie by themselves.

Svpernaut likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree about the number of films worth seeing at a theatre. You might be missing some good stuff amongst the dreck. We have really nice displays and sound systems for our living room and the bedroom, and Google Fiber streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime, so we watch a lot of movies at home and enjoy doing it. It's just not the same experience as being in a good theatre. My father turned me into a movie junkie as a kid and I don't want to stop the addiction. I just love seeing a good flick in a good theatre.

If I'm looking forward to seeing a particular film, I'll pick the best screen available within a reasonable distance that reserves seats and go there. We can afford it and I can't stand a bad seat. Alamo Drafthouse, which started in Central Texas, is a good place for a flick, maybe a beer, and good popcorn, and they serve you at your seat. There's one within a bike ride of our house. Some of the other theaters are starting to have reserved seating, with far better screens, sound, and projection. Interestingly enough, they've reduced the number of seats a lot, but seem to be attracting more customers.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. Svpernaut

Especially today. Up until the start of the movie, most people have their faces buried in their phones and don't even look up to notice you.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

^This

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Ever since signing up for MoviePass, I've gone alone exclusively. Mostly because I go right after work or to the early shows on Saturdays/Sundays.

Before trying it, I thought it would be awkward. But it really isn't. The only thing I miss is being able to talk with someone about the film as you're walking out of the theater.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I have no problem going by myself, I used to go with my cousins and friends like 5-6 years ago every Thursday night/midnight showing of the big movies, after Aurora shootings, studios started to have "midnight shows" start at 7pm. It's better to go with someone or a group of people but it's hard to find people that will go the same time as you, especially the ones that don't have a normal 8-5pm job.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Went to see DP2 by myself.

I found out I enjoyed it better drunk and alone. Among a few other things in life.

16. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Me and my girlfriend have Moviepass so we go every weekend. BUT she doesn't watch horror movies. I've ended up at a few of those alone. It's perfectly normal. The only real difference is that with other people, going to a movie seems like a big thing. You gotta get candy, get a drink, everyone has to hit the bathroom first, get into their seats. I went to see The Strangers 2 alone. I just walked up, bought my ticket, went straight into it and sat down, no snack, no drink, watched the movie, and then walked straight out to my car and left. It seemed very business-like.

17. Svpernaut

Like going to a hooker.

18. SuraGotMadHops

what kind of movie?

[​IMG]

19. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

This guy gets it.