1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Love my Keto pizza

Mathloom likes this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'll chime in with one idea on this.

if you're eating 6 meals a day that probably means the time from your first meal to your last is somewhere around of 12-14 hours (as in you eat breakfast at 7am and the last snack/meal is at 9pm). that doesn't allow enough time for your digestive system to take a break or for your body to fully repair itself.

the human body has a process called autophagy where damaged/dead cells are recycled to create new cells. when following OMAD (one meal a day), or a more standard IF structure or 18x6, autophagy is kicked in to hyperdrive.

this doesn't necessarily address the weight loss question in this thread but it's certainly an argument for eating only one or two meals a day vs three to six.

in regards to the number of times you're eating a day and the total calories, that doesn't seem to matter as much. 2000 calories consumed over the span of 3 meals vs 6 could influence metabolism rate but honestly following the number of calories and the types of foods your eating is much more important than your metabolic rate.

#1322 ryan_98, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Sajan and smokieethabear like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks for the info

Rocket River

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I had it in that order. I happened to be working from home yesterday so I had time + my wife is keto for a week now too so we split up the duties. It is better to simplify for sure, I don't always have that kind of time. My advice is prepare a lot of stuff you regularly need on Sundays and when you cook, make sure you make 2-3 portions and save it. That saves a lot of time.

Today for example:

Same shake but with half a glass of cold brew coffee which I make in big batches + 4 eggs sunny side up with green beans mixed in @ breakfast
    Cauliflower rice (which i keep frozen) with tomato sauce and some parmesan + plate of broccoli with LOTs of garlic butter @ noon
    Then I had to go to work, so I took with me:
    Cocoa Coconut Cream Chia pudding (using stevia to sweeten) which I always have in the fridge, make it in large batches
    + A whole cup of cashews, almonds and walnuts
    + half a pack of strawberries

Also, 3 liters of water every day.

The morning drink (first line) is something I've been doing religiously for damn near a year now. I change up the ingredients to diversify my minerals and vitamins but the intention is to slam my body with an uber multivitamin/multimineral as soon as I wake up that can power me for 3-4 hours if need be with very few calories. I throw some stevia in there but the aftertaste is not great. Highly recommend this approach - puts your brain and energy in a great place.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

This metabolic boosting statements have been spread around for a while. In reality you can't do much to greatly affect your rate.
    Eating breakfast or eating 6 meals doesn't change your rate or kick start it.
    Your metabolic rate doesn't really go down (aka starvation mode) until 72 hours or so.

The metabolic jump from meals came from the thermic effect of food. Protein has the highest thermic effect, fat being the lowest.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh I just needed the salad sauce a bit less heavy so mixed in some milk cause it was close by lol

7. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Well, props to you if this is all true. I'm a bit dubious, especially since I've asked your size multiple times and you've avoided it. I'm 6'3 and 175 lbs and I do a bodyweight workout 3x per week and usually play basketball 2x per week. For a while there I tried to "bulk" and I still couldn't manage to eat over about 2,200 calories in a day.

An example of what I ate yesterday:

1/2 cup of oatmeal with 2 tbsp peanut butter and topped with flaky salt
    3 cups of coffee with Coffee-Mate creamer
    A tomato sandwich with Eureka Graniac bread, a whole tomato and mayo
    A rice cake with hummus
    Unsweet tea
    2 cups of chickpea curry with yellow rice
    3 Hershey's Miniatures
    2 Ace Pineapple Hard Ciders

Total is around 1,950 calories. This is a lot more carbs than I usually eat due to the rice and bread but otherwise, it's pretty typical. Typing it out, it seems pretty boring but it's all stuff I like and I'm full after every meal.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

At one point in my life, I had great success doing the 5 - 6 small meals a day program to where I came away from it believing it was having an effect on my metabolism because I lost a lot of weight during the stretch I was on it. Two of those meals were usually protein bars (snacking at work) with a meal being a protein shake some days. So, I generally did an 8 am (breakfast), 10 am (snack), 12 pm (lunch), 2 pm (snack), 5 pm (dinner), 7 pm (snack) eating schedule. I also worked out both running and lifting during the stretch. But, when I did not eat on this schedule while still running and lifting, my body was not nearly as efficient at burning calories. This was based on my own experiences. I believe the smaller, spaced meals at a minimum made my metabolism run at a ramped up level all day long versus more variances in my metabolism when I did not follow this eating schedule. These are my observational results and my conclusion. I stand by it. I found it was easier to maintain this eating schedule when incorporated into a regular workday. On weekends, I would cheat some and not maintain the rigidity of the schedule. I would take some hit but then lose those calories and more anyway as time went on.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

Some people also believe the earth is flat...doesn't mean it's true.
    Unless you have tested proof of your resting metabolic rate before and after this eating habit..it's completely opposite of what research has proven.

Plus how does one feel their metabolic rate?

"This is colloquially coined, “stoking the metabolic fire.” In fact, this very concept has been disproved about 15 years ago [1], and still remains accurate to this day, with the most recent research showing no differences in 24hr energy expenditure, respiratory quotient (RQ), or fat oxidation [2]."
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/stoki...increase-metabolism-and-enhance-fat-loss.html

I am trying not to pull things out of thin air either. I used to eat these multiple meals. I even had my RMR tested. Started fasting in 2012..and found no difference. My life is just more simpler now that I don't have to carry snacks and meals all day with me to "keep my metabolism up".

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Look, I'm not here to have a forum word fight with Dr. Know-It-All-About-Metabolism...I'm kidding.

I think what happened in my case after some reflection is it threw me into ketosis even though I wasn't really consciously doing a protein-based diet. It probably just turned out that way with the smaller meals supplemented with protein. I also recall I seemed to get that metallic taste a lot in my mouth and it is associated with this type of diet (as I've tried the keto diet before). This would explain it I do believe.

Sajan likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I had mentioned it in an earlier post. I'm 5'8 and 155lbs as of a few weeks ago.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's just relatively a very low number of nutrients in your diet imo and the carbs are too spread out.

Try having carbs only right before and right after your workout and not in any other meal.
    Then add a shake (with spinach, kale or celery base) that covers almost all the nutrients and vitamins with a low net carb count > for breakfast.
    Also, have all your food in a 8-9 hour window. Only drink water outside that window.
    That will work.

To me it's just a hamster wheel of work. You eat carbs to work out, and you work out to eat carbs. Your lifting could be serving as bonuses rather than just band-aiding your meals. But as I said, different people have different strengths/weaknesses. You have to ask yourself what your goal is and if you're willing to go ape **** at the gym 3 times a week and basketball twice a week to accommodate the diet you listed. If I worked out as much as you did, I would not be able to eat enough to stop losing weight.

13. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Why do you think I'm trying to change anything? I'm in the best shape and lowest weight I've ever been. Did you realize that I'm quite a bit thinner than you? When I was in high school, I weighed 240 lbs. And I don't "have to" work out and play basketball to accommodate my diet. I recently had a surgery and was out of all physical activity for 2 weeks and I didn't gain a pound. I workout to build muscle and I play basketball because *gasp* it's fun!

Like I said, you worry too much about carbs vs fats. As much as your diet "proves" that keto works, my diet proves that eating a bunch of carbs doesn't make you fat.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No, it just proves we're different. I can do exactly what you do and have significantly different results, and vice versa.

Btw, after surgery your fat gain will be coupled with muscle loss. If you were sincerely out of activity for 2 weeks, there's no way you didn't lose muscle. So if you didn't lose weight then you gained fat.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Need a Whey Protein shake option that doesn't taste like crap.

16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

the three supplements i use that taste decent...

protein - syntha 6 edge vanilla ice cream
    bcaa - xtend grape
    pre-workout - cardio cuts 3.0 peach mango

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would steer away from bcaas and creatine, those are sawdust supplements with false clinical studies. You only need to do 2 things, get whey protein and download fitness pal. I love the keto diet but it will make you scronny, you do need carbs to sustain muscle and have energy. I saw my 2 cousins get stupidly shredded with just counting their macros. 200 grams of protein and 200 grams of carbs. I got laughed at because I got skinny with keto and lost my gains.

18. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Just curious... what false clinical studies for bcaa? I have a good friend whose professional life involves doing such studies and he recommended it. Not interested in creatine as I’ve never used it and seem to get along fine without it.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Thanks. I actually picked up a couple of Syntha 6 flavors (PB Cookie & Chocolate PB Cup). They were out of vanilla ice cream and it takes 2 weeks to get delivered to store. Will try it next assuming we like these.

I'll look into the others as well since a change of pace to a fruit flavor sounds nice.
    I don't really care. My wife agreed to a 6 week program and this is part of it. I'm doing the diet just to be supportive. I don't want to gain anything.

I look forward to getting my full choice of foods back, just hope it leads to healthier decisions once we do.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  20. marky :)

marky :) Member

This is what I've been using lately, Dymatize Iso100. Wife usually thinks most of the whey proteins I've bought in the past have been terrible but she has really liked this one(Vanilla flavor) and I do as well. it mixes well and doesn't remain chunky when I drink it. That aspect probably has to do a lot with the cyclone bottle I just bought and I didn't have that type of shaker when I used other wheys. But so far this has been the best tasting one I've tried.

Previous ones I've used were Optimum Nutrition and 6 Star.

#1340 marky :), Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    juicystream likes this.