1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Burger without buns..fajitas without tortillas...pizza but just the toppings.
    What kind of life is this? lol

People need to stop associating a method of eating with weight loss. As someone said earlier..it will allllll eventually come down to calories in vs out. Just like saving money..it comes down to spending less than you make. There are a million ways to go about it.

Fast 24 hours and eat 1 meal..or...eat 15 meals a day..who gives a crap? Get less calories in. Eventually your body will adjust it's metabolism down..so you can't cut calories for ever since that will become your baseline. This is why people eventually stall.

The method of eating and health benefits are what go together.
    Intermittent fasting has HEALTH BENEFITS compared to eating all freaking day long.
    Lifting weights and doing cardio has HEALTH BENEFITS.
    Do these tie into weight loss? sure but focus first on total for the day or week before you figure out how to get those calories in.

Why do people lose weight when they try fasting? They just stopped eating a good amount of calories. Of course they will lose weight. Eventually they will start making up those calories in their remaining meals and the weight loss will stop.
    Same for keto. You go from bread and pasta all day to cutting out 300 grams of carbs daily. 300 x 4 = 1200 calorie deficit.

AB423 and sammy like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm extremely careful about the type of fats I consume so no issues with liver after getting a check up. Weight loss once I get off: it depends on whether I get off it. I envision that at most, I will be keto 6 days a week rest of my life. If I get off it, you're right, my self discipline and plan will be the key factor in whether I gain weight back. Inflammation and water retention from carbs are unavoidable though, will keep track of that too.

I'm simply far more sensitive to carbs than the average human. It makes no sense for me to ever have more than 50-60 grams a day. For the longest time I was wallowing in pity for myself for gaining more weight than everyone else despite eating and working out the same. I realized I just need to accept what my body does well and poorly >> and not just speculating about it, but actually using a variety of scientific measures to test it. How a person "Feels" can be extremely deceiving. Everyone feels good after loosing a bunch of weight even if done in an unhealthy way, and I was determined to avoid that trap.

There's a VERY interesting study which actually shows, genetically, people from extreme hot and extreme cold geographic regions (innuids/bedouins) are less tolerant of carbs and far more capable of absorbing nutrients from fats. I suspect that, being from one of the hottest places on the planet, I fall in the extreme side of that category. People with European roots are far more tolerant of carbs than everyone else and less tolerant of fats. Some speculate that that's because of certain famines that occurred and changed the composition of genetics in the various populations, who knows. It's ok. We're all different.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You can make keto buns and tortillas and pizza crusts. It just won't taste like wheat. Which is fine, because that's the taste of a substance that - when refined as in restaurants - is linked to the worst diseases on earth.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If you replace carbs with fats, you are not reducing calories - fats are the highest concentration of calories out of the macros. Have never checked my calories since starting keto, I eat 4-5 times a day.

I consume coconut cream, coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, nuts, seeds in insane quantities. Check the calorie count on those if you triple the serving size. I'm sure I exceed 3,000 calories a day regularly.

5. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

lol I love how you listed two examples and then said "etc.". You also can't eat most sides- no fries or any potatoes, no beans, nothing with sugar in it. Have fun at the Mexican restaurant eating your meat and veggies, with no margaritas, no chips and salsa and no tortillas.

Like I said, I like Keto. Props to anyone who tries it. But I think the elimination of tons of food options has something to do with its effectiveness. And I have doubts that many people could stay on it for their entire life.

6. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

This doesn't tell the whole story, either. We don't know how big you are or how much you exercise. Foods on Keto are very filling, so you usually can't eat a ton. For example, you could eat a whole bag of potato chips (1,242 calories) but even if you tried, you probably couldn't eat more than 2 avocados (640 calories).

Even staunch Ketoers admit that you can't eat an infinite amount of these foods and lose weight. If you are eating a ton and losing weight, you may have been very heavy or had a really poor diet before.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Forget counting calories. Your body uses three main sources of energy; carbs, fats, and protein. If it is severely depleted in all three then it will use lean muscle as well.

Carbs are the first to be used (then fat, and protein last). When you eat a lot of carbs with fat and protein then your body uses the carbs as energy and stores the fat for future use, if needed. This is where the big belly, legs, etc. come from. Your fat has nothing else to do so it gets stored in those places.

When you cut the carbs out, your body has no choice but to use the stored fats as energy. When your body uses fat as energy, ketones are created. This is why it is called a "Keto diet." When you enter a ketosis state, you know your body is using up that stored fat. That's how the true weight loss happens.

Now, counting calories obviously works too, there is no doubt about it, but it is a MUCH slower way to lose weight. And the thing about counting calories is that, eventually, your body adjusts... it will require fewer calories so now you have to cut even more.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

You are not replacing carbs with fat gram for gram. No way.
    Fats are wayy more filling and especially with the added veggies (and also drinking more water), I guarantee you are eating less total energy.

I don't buy this carb is evil mantra that's being spread now.

The only few things we should all agree on is.
    1. sugar is evil (even fruits to an extent depending on the amount)
    2. processed carbs and refined anything is evil
    3. eat a sh** ton of vegetables
    4. eat healthy fats...you will have to pry this tub of coconut oil from me!

MacLovin likes this.
  9. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

First, I want to say that it really annoys me that it's 2018 and we still aren't clear on all of this stuff. I was listening to a podcast the other day. There were two board-certified, real life doctors. One is doing a mega-protein diet, tons of meat and eggs, he's lost weight and feels great. The other is a heart surgeon, and he says that we all need to cut back on animal products because he's seeing a lot of build-up in people's arteries from it. How do two doctors have completely opposite viewpoints?

Anyway, I'm convinced that it's about eating healthy foods most of the time and not too much. Don't eat until you're stuffed. Eat until you aren't hungry anymore. Try to eat less than your TDEE in calories. Don't try to eat that amount in donuts. Most veggies like spinach and broccoli are basically a free pass calorie wise and have all of your nutrients. Carbs aren't inherently evil- you'll have a hard time gaining weight eating (real) oatmeal, barley, quinoa, etc.

There are no secrets. If something sounds like a revelation, it's probably not true.

ROCKSS and Sajan like this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1.

There are so many things people eat on a daily basis they have no business touching. I see it around the office everyday. I see it at restaurants. Empty calories. NO nutritional benefits.
    On top of that people are eating for a famine that's never coming. For goodness sake use some of that fat you have been storing! Eat less a few days. Start walking.

Then let's debate whether fat or carbs are the issue. Hint: neither is.

On a side note: pay attention to your HDL and triglycerides. Don't put too much value into the LDL. It's a calculated value and doesn't tell you crap.

11. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

The hard thing for me to grasp is people's emotional feelings toward food. That's something that I think rational, healthy people don't consider. I see people getting huge lunches from restaurants on a Tuesday. On weekdays, I run home and I'll eat something like chickpeas or sardines on top of spinach with olive oil and vinegar. Like, it's your lunch on Tuesday...it doesn't have to be an event, just eat something. But I'm also not unhappy or depressed, if I was I need more enjoyment out of it.

Sajan likes this.
  12. AB423

AB423 Member

For people on a keto diet, how do they have energy to workout if they do not have carbs? I'm guessing you get energy from fats you eat and that gives you energy, if it does, do you get the same energy you would from carbs?

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Science suggest Fat is a better form of energy.

I personally lift better when Carbs are in my system.

AB423 likes this.
  14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Your body uses glucose (from carbs) when you go high intensity for more than 10 seconds at a time (all the way up to about 3 minutes).

So lifting weights on sets with high reps (more than 5 reps) will be a struggle on the keto diet because your body needs glucose for it. If you want to lift weights, do low reps (less than 5 for sure). Otherwise eat some carbs right before and after the workout. My suggestion is to eat fruits and dairy because they act fast.

Cardio shouldn't be a problem because once you start to go for more than ~3 minutes at a time your body switches to using fat as the main energy. Just make sure it is low intensity and lasts a long time.

AB423 likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I guarantee I am not eating total less energy. There is no chance. In fact I am certain that just the nuts, seeds and coconut cream I consume on a daily basis exceeds what I was eating before. I used to consumer 2,000 calories and play soccer 2 times a week and I know that as a fact. Everyone I know is worried I'm going to have a heart attack. Here's what I ate today, just another day for me:

Cup of celery + Cup of Cucumber + 2 tbsp Tumeric, 1 tbsp Cinnamon, 1 tbsp Spirulina, 1 tbsp Wheatgrass, Kale, MCT oil, kaffir lime
    A whole 6oz box of blueberries + CUP of walnuts + Flax-Chia Meal + Coconut milk + 1 tsp vanilla
    Tomato/Lettuce/Radish salad topped with parmesan, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of mayo and tablespoon of milk
    3 slices of cheese + handful of cashews
    Deep fried - with ghee - full Chicken breast in a ginger coconut cream and coconut flour batter
    2 glasses cocoa/Peanut butter/coconut cream shake with stevia
    1.5 x fried, high fat Burger patties
    Cabbage and cauliflower stor fry with half a cup of mozzarella cheese and added butter

That is an absurd amount of calories, it's barely even keto. More like modified atkins I would say. In fact, I'm sure I'm way over even the carb count I'm supposed to have lol but I'm still losing weight and trying to slow it down. I guarantee that's easily over 3,000 calories.

Calories in/out is outdated, and I know that's hard to hear for many purists, but we have discovered that genetics, changes to the non-muscle body and nutrient density matter more than we thought. Not that it doesn't work. I'm sure counting calories works, but I'm sure it is not the only way anymore.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You cannot eat infinite amounts, but that's a whitewashing argument. You can eat significantly more than the calories they say you can eat even when factoring the activities you engage in.

I'm 5'8. My job requires me to be very active at times (on film set) and very sedentary at times (writing). When I'm on set 1-2 days a week, I don't go to the gym that week. When I'm sedentary, I'll go to the gym 1-2 times or walk 2-3 hours at a chilled pace. I would say medium activity.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

How do you know what your exact needs are each day?
    How do you know what your exact intake was before keto?
    For the food log you listed, have you actually calculated what the the total cals are?
    Do you weigh your food?

You are basically saying people on keto cannot get fat..because energy intake doesn't matter..

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No, you are drawing an extreme conclusion that I did not make. I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all or infinitely, I'm just saying the formula is flawed and somehow calories matter significantly LESS on keto for ME. Surely if I consumed more, I'd have a smaller deficit. I suspect keto boosts my base metabolic rate even when holding activity and muscle change constant.

I know my exact intake before keto because I used to try to align to calories in/out. I can eye calories, carbs, fat and proteins now anyway. I'm like an encyclopedia with that stuff.

For the food I listed, you can go ahead and do it. I assure you it's greater than 3,000 calories. If you told your trainer or nutritionist you ate that yesterday, they would pass out.

I don't weigh my food anymore. I have no reason to. I listed out every detail of what I ate, go ahead and check it out. Keto foods are the highest calorie foods. You can't seriously be making the argument that per gram it is not the highest caloric intake. I embraced keto because I refused to reduce my portions below the average human >> which is what I needed in addition to 3-4 intense weekly workouts to achieve stable fat loss. I also for the longest time didn't consume junk food, potatoes, bananas, white rice, white pasta, white bread, boxed cereal, refined sugar or sodas (except occasional diet coke). I don't want to live like that forever, it's boring and time consuming and I can't get enough nutrients in to fight long term diseases that are plaguing this generation of humans.

I'm not missing a single vitamin or mineral by cutting out this food group. I have literally manually ticked off every single vitamin and mineral known to man that we are recommended to consume. Carbs are objectively the least nutritious food group, so now that my intake is heavily weighted towards fats and proteins and vegetables with low net carbs >> I'm getting a DRAMATICALLY higher intake of nutrients without the downside of unnecessary energy. Works for me, don't think it would necessarily work for most south east asians or europeans for example. Everyone else I see as Hamster zombies now. Working out to burn carbs and taking naps or stimulants to alleviate it - or getting/staying fat.

Trust me dude. My eyes opened once I ate meal for meal what my friend did, and workout for workout what he did and we were not even close in our progress. We think when people say each person is different that we're talking about a 5 or 10% difference. I've now discovered that I am easily 50% different than at least one person and that blew my mind. If he did what I'm doing, I doubt he sees the same progress as me. There's nothing wrong with that except that a whole bunch of trainers and nutritionists have to start losing their jobs or update themselves - and they will jump through hoops to convince you it's all BS. They're just the new old people.

mikol13 likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have seen is claimed that eating 6 small meals > 3 Meals
    That is jump starts your metabolism or some such

Like I think you said .. . depends on your definition of small
    IF those 6 meals are the same as the 3 . . . . .. . is there a benefit?

Rocket River

20. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I have so many questions. How do you even break that up? Like the first 2 are breakfast, the next 3 are lunch and then the last 2 are dinner? And when do you prepare it all? I usually go for easy things and you're over here making fried chicken, burgers, and shakes every day? Also what is your size/weight? And why do you put milk on your salad?

I'm not so concerned with having a heart attack. You're getting a lot more nutrients than most people do on a daily basis.