1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah but does Caldwell yell and cuss his players out??? How many "we gotta coach better" did he use postgame? Huh Brian? Huh? AFC South Champs...

craigharmann likes this.
  2. raining threes

Would you consider Caserio a real GM hire?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah he sounds like one of the main architects for the Patriots. Would be awesome

zeeshan2, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

BoB has been living off 1) RAC and 2) a weak division his entire tenure here. Once those two factors disappeared.... FOUR wins.

BigShasta and Mr. Clutch like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that failure is what earned him an extension and the ability to name a lackey as the new GM. Gotta love a franchise that rewards failure like that.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yes I love this franchise

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you directly related to BOB or are you a fan of another team like the Titans, Jags, or Colts?

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

And what is his major accomplishment? Getting hired by the Patriots?

desihooper likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, that is NOT what I'm "implying". My point is that ever since I was a kid, football fans in houston have been wishing that next year with coach ______ will be better. The latest such example is with BoB - a coach who week in and week out keeps telling you that what he's doing did not work. yet somehow, the consensus is that he is the answer here.

Sigh, this is going to sound nasty and it's not really meant to be that way but your level of reading comprehension is very poor because you somehow managed to miss the gist of what my post was all about. And no: I was never under any preconceptions that Watson was "The Chosen One" because when the season started I was pegging them to go 8-8 at best. Having caught BoB's act last year, I knew full well what to excpect from him this season when things started to go bad. While I liked what Watson was doing I knew that sooner or later teams will start game planning for him and that will be when the real test comes for him. He could be really good and the needle is pointing in a positive direction but it's a bit early to annoint him as the franchise QB. Now, the two games in the SB Nation article were winnable games that BoB managed to foof up and then declare afterwards that he's "got to coach better". That's why I question how he can be the right guy to turn things around when he keeps doing the wrong thing while admitting that he's doing the wrong thing. And let us not forget that going into the season, it was Bob who annointed Savage as the QB to lead this team which lasted for all of one half. And afterwards, he told us one and all that "I've got to coach better".

I highlighted this last part because as before you completely missed my point. Nowhere in my post do I exhibit "extreme levels of expectations" based on the small sample offered by Watson and BoB. Your attempt at sarcasm is misplaced - instead I'd like for you to present some reasoned analysis why you feel so strongly about BoB and the state of this franchise going forward that you cannot tolerate anyone who dares to offer a contrary viewpoint to your own.

10. Nook

Nook Member

This.

It is nothing against Caserio but no one other than Bill B knows exactly what Caserio does and doesn’t do and his individual accomplishments inside that building are. All we know is that he has learned from the greatest coach in NFL history and that he hasn’t been fired.

When it comes to choosing a GM without a track record, it is a shot in the dark. Add the fact that NOTHING is made public and it is a complete shot in the dark.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

I'm making the leap that he is one of the main guys keeping the roster high quality and deep as they go through the years.

I don't think it's Belichick alone, someone is helping him with analytics and cap management.

But you're right, I actually don't know what he does

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new...and-patriots-best-available-nfl-executive?amp

Also was the WR coach when Brady threw 50 TDs

texian and donkeypunch like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’d say the analysis already presented is much more in depth than your “this is how houston football has been since I was a kid!” analysis (if you can even call it that).

Funny that you never mention anything about the god-awful defense when micro-analyzing those two games. It was all BOB’s end of game play calling’s fault.

There’s plenty more reason to be optimistic about Watson’s debut last year, and the aspects he was actually improving upon right to the point of his injury. I thought his last game (Seattle) showcased some throws I didn’t even know he had in him.

But again, you’ve already made your conclusions well before looking at any of this. Others are willing to see if their solid foundation that was established last year (with enough games and quality opponents to mitigate “fluke”) can be built upon.

14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it is not getting fired by the Emperor all these years?! :D

That's gotta be a transferable skill, right?!

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know how much coaching Brady needed and how many ways to tell Miss to run fast and catch the ball.

All the accomplishments in personnel don't strike me as improvement from Rick Smith. He found Malcolm, Texans found AJ. They have also made some questionable moves but it hasn't looked as bad because of Brady and Belichek. They pretty much get rid of all their good players on defense.

16. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

You know who else has this same record through their first 4 seasons as a head coach and was also 1-1 in the playoffs? Bill Belichek...you know the guy the Browns fired as their head coach and he went on to coach the New England Patriots, Belichek actually did pretty well with NE too.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not sure what your point is. Mine was that there is not that much difference in outcome between OBrien and Caldwell. Caldwell had a better QB, Houston had a better defense and an easier division. You could say OBrien is the next Bellichek. Or you could say Caldwell is.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You could also say there's a helluva lot more context than merely a team's record.

In Belicheck's case, in Cleveland he had to deal with a team completely distracted by the impending move... and a city that was in full revolt against them. Prior to that, they looked like they were ascending towards greatness... and they did eventually set the foundation to Baltimore's SB winning team (with Belicheck personally grooming future GM Ozzie Newsome).

In hindsight, you can see what Belichick was doing in Cleveland and see there was some genius impending. Not sure you can see anything close to that in the other situations.... but again, its without the benefit of hindsight.

19. Mr. Clutch

Kubiak was the next Belichick

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not even close.

Even as a coordinator, Belichick was thought of as a genius... not many coordinators can lay the claim that they were able to beat down Montana's 49ers, Elway's Broncos, and Kelly's Bills. They carried "him" off the field after the 49ers game.

Kubiak decided not to take a HC job after the 2 SB wins as coordinator under Shannahan... in many ways, this removed some of the luster on his accomplishments (was he waiting for Shanahan to retire?). And he obviously had a lot of figuring it out to do as a HC, but was lucky enough to have an owner willing to give him more than the time needed, which led to a good... but not great HC.