1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JH: Why Were There Only 2 Refs In Celtics Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Morey should've kept his mouth closed.
    0-4 since the G state comment

BigShasta, Richie_Rich and J.R. like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

The refs were horrible. But Harden went I think 5 possessions in a row with a turnover. That is unacceptable. I don't care who it is. You can't throw the ball away like that. The turnovers he has are almost always without contact too. I don't wanna hear him complaining when he's the main reason the Celtics even got back in the game

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Adjustments were key... and when the Rockets were no longer able to make their threes and instead based their offense on Harden and Gordon drives, the "refs swallowed whistles" really benefited the Celtics since on almost every drive involved lots of hacking and physical play. And since the NBA has definitely made an effort to not call fouls on Harden the Rockets didn't have any possible adjustment to make.

Anderson inability / unwillingness to shoot really hurts the team in these situations.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure when the other ref got ill, but they do need a better plan to replace a ref. Maybe there should at least 1 or 2 regional standby refs.

The other question is, why were there only half a brain? Can't do that every again. Because, they will now test you again and again.

5. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Adjustment don't mean anything if guys can't make open looks. Both Harden and Gordon got the looks, just ran out of steam and couldn't make anything in the 2nd half. Missing 2 starters and an important bench player will cause that.

I'm not worried. This team can win without CP3, they did it before. They just can't afford to lose any main rotation guys simultaneously. But they'll be fine once everyone returns.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

@DreamShook

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

I, for one, warmly welcome our robot overlords: why not let Watson ref the whole damn game, every game? Imagine instantaneous calls, and lots of free throws, but the entire game flies by...

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fake News. Not true. He said that after the Lakers game.

Morey 0-3
    J.R. 0-4

The Houston Rockets boast an NBA-best 25-5 record and have the league's top offense based on offensive efficiency, but general manager Daryl Morey said those achievements aren't especially important to him.

"It's the only thing we think about," Morey said on ESPN Radio's The Ryen Russillo Show on Thursday. "I think I'm not supposed to say that, but we're basically obsessed with 'How do we beat the Warriors?

@DreamShook

I'm 0-4 too, though

I must fess-up, too. It's my fault. I predicted a 20-1 run and we'd have best record in the NBA, around when it started, when all the attention was on Boston's streak. We are 0-4 since my prediction was achieved. :(

Deckard, Easy and DreamShook like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually it did. Perhaps not for the Rockets, since all the really bad calls went against the Celtics. But the refs were blowing calls... note in the first half a Celtic was teed up and then immediately the Celtics coach drew a T to complain.

Deckard and DonKnock like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sorry but this is basically false all around. starting with the fact that both T's were called with 1:56 left in the 3rd Q

Richie_Rich and Crashlanded19 like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We have substitutes for sick teachers in the poorest districts. Why can't the billion-dollar NBA enterprise have a substitute for a sick referee?

BigShasta and DonKnock like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You should have predicted a longer stretch. :mad:

heypartner likes this.
  13. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

the nba is a scripted league

i said before the game something strange was gonna happen with harden in post #52 of last night game thread

BigShasta likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Patently false statement. The Celtics were missing layups and constantly taking, and bricking, long 2's and 3's.
    Even if we do allow that the 26 point lead was 100% due to reffing, the original 15-0(?) lead had nothing to do with it, guaranteed.
    Both halves of the game had to do with their bench and coaching adjustments eating ours alive.

As for the OP...
    This is a statement made out of ignorance by Harden though. It wasn't a "conspiracy" to have two referees. It was stated multiple times, including before tip-off, that the third referee had back spasms and stayed in the locker room.

I'm pissed about the refereeing in the Clippers and Celtics games, but the Rockets just can't play without Capela, Luc and Paul.

15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

This. They literally flipped the script.

But this is why you don't just Chuck iso 3s the last 8 mins of the game, play defense, stay disciplined, etc.

That kind of behavior and those tendencies are getting old. Paul doesn't let that **** happen.

SIL

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed. Harden is focusing on a red herring here.

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I didn't see any nba ref openings
    In the career opportunities tab.
    So yeah they should of had enough refs to cover this game.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I read that. You were examining the importance of #33 to last night's game.

Your post above is post #33 in this thread.

That means you are also scripted.

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, DonKnock and pippendagimp like this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't say or imply the 26-point lead was "100% due to reffing". Celtics had another very poor start, which has happened a lot to them recently.

This is why I usually avoid the GARM. People lose their mind far too often.

Deckard likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Bring in a D League ref...

DonKnock and pippendagimp like this.