1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul Traded to Rockets!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 28, 2017.

?

Do you like the trade of Beverley, LouWill, Dekker, Harrell, 1st rounder to LAC for Chris Paul

Poll closed Jul 19, 2017.
  1. YES

676 vote(s)
    88.6%
  2. NO

87 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ever since this morning there has been one in my pants

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Great asset.

How much cash do the rockets have left to make considerations?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just wait, we've still to trade for George and Cousins :eek::D

Hakeemtheking and justtxyank like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Imagine trading Anderson BACK to Nawlins for Boogie. That would be the ultimate troll move.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Pete the Cheat

I won't acknowledge this until someone puts a stake thru Sterns heart before he awakens from his coffin

don grahamleone and ghettocheeze like this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

They couldn't find a taker for Anderson. Teams wanted the Rockets to send two 1st round picks to take Anderson's deal off their hands.

don grahamleone and kjayp like this.
  7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

That means they DID find takers, just didn't want to pull the trigger.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep lol

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they'd acquire George, there will always be a PG in the backcourt and frontcourt.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

D'Antoni: I've always thought Chris for the last 10 years was the best PG until I coached James obviously. Great to have both. A lot of people will question how they'll play together. The good outweighs the bad. A little bit like USA basketball & Golden State/Durant & you can say why it wouldn't work. Well it does because they want it to work. That's all it takes. ... You can't have too many PGs on the floor.

When did it become something that could happen.

Morey: We were talking about a potential July S&T. We expected it to be in July. They reached out to us about the possibility of a trade earlier. We jumped at it. Smart by the Clippers. Win-win situation where we can acquire Chris early. It allows us to have our exceptions in FA. Full MLE, biannual, ...we were able to give ourselves a TPE in the $11M range. In a year we're going all in, it's important to have all resources. If you wait until July & hope to sign him later, you don't know how those meetings go. Opportunity to trade early, we jumped at it. We would be down to minimums if we sign him in July. When close & chasing superteams we're trying to join, you have to have resources to keep improving. It's not just enough to have James, Chris & [role players]. You gotta continue to have flexibility to get better again. At the 10, you need a touchdown. Can't get stuck at the 10 with no resources to upgrade. ... Want to thank Montrezl Harrell. We were trying to keep him out of the trade until the last minute.

James impact being here?

Morey: Everything. Without James, none of this happens. Harden is the key. His unselfishness & ability to make others better...we have two of the best playmakers on one team. It's something special.

How do you see them playing together?

Mike: I see Clint being the leading scorer on the team. The more PGs on the floor, the better it is. We'll figure it out. Reason we were so good last year is everyone had a role & adapted to it & we overachieved. Expect these guys to do the same thing. We'll figure it out.

Max deal next summer?

Morey: That's not a conversation we've had. We want him here as long as possible. At the appropriate time when we can talk, we want him to stay as long as possible.

Purpose of the additional trades?

Morey: We like those players we got. Had to send out a lot of players. In addition, we needed some to complete the trade. On top of that, not only added players who can help, it also creates a TPE which allows us to add another player in the $11M-$12M range. We have to find players who fit our MLE & biannual & TPE. Another advantage, at this early juncture, we now walk into FA knowing what financial tools we have to get players with James & Chris recruiting them. Otherwise, we're meeting, hoping Chris to come. That's different on July 1 having him on hand.

Painful to give up so many guys?

Morey: Very tough. Pat being #1, one of my top guys we've ever had here. Really the heartbeat of the team. That was tough. He'll have a great career. I told him today you never know in this business. Maybe hopefully it'll come to pass one day where he's back here & hopefully that could work out. He's great. The other players gave us a lot last year. ...

Challenge of coaching Harden & Paul?

Mike: Challenge isn't the right word. It's a joy. An opportunity to be really good. Chris is really good. I've coached him in the summers. I kinda know his game & he knows me. You're talking about a sure HOF, one of the best to ever play the game. If we can't figure it out, then we're in trouble. And he's a great defensive player too. He'll fit perfect with James. Some bumps early but we got guys that want to win. That's half the battle.

James very influential. Can you speak to how involved he was?

Morey: It's obviously more just people see what James can do & ability to make others better. That's what makes him attractive. The NBA today, you need one guy like James who is your foundation. It allows everything else to happen. Without James, we don't have Chris. With James & Chris, I think people will look in FA and say I can make this money there but maybe close to this money I can go to Houston & try to win a ring. That's a big difference walking in July 1 vs. hoping after meetings Chris signs with us on July 6.

Excitement coaching these players together?

Mike: Very much so. A lot of possibilities. Going back a little bit, players now want to get together. I'm sure James was influential. Everybody knows everyone's business now. When you get a good feeling among the players, it's fun, the money is relevant but not like it used to be. Now it's up to organizations to be their best. It's a great recruiting tool. With Chris, the biggest thing will be a HOF on the floor all the time. He's one of the smartest I've ever been around. It gives you a chance to figure things out & make it the best you can be. We were really good last year offensively. No reason we can be better. Another year under Jeff we'll be better defensively. Still a long way to Golden State.

Player you want in FA?

Morey: Ones that help us win. ... There was a lot of pressure on James, especially once we got to the playoffs. Him being the focal point night after night against the best defenses after playing a long season carrying a big offensive load, that's tough. He did it & carried us far. Chris & him will carry each other through the season, get us in a good spot & in the playoffs, we're so much stronger having two guys with that much experience & who can carry the load. With FA, looking for guys who can help in those playoff series.

More midrange with Chris?

Mike: Nash was good in the midrange. He might fire me for not taking enough threes. Shot chart might not look exactly the same as last year. We try to shoot (adjusted FG%) over 50%. We'll still shoot threes. Morey: Still trying to score as much as possible. Chris is good from everywhere.

Hard to replace Beverley?

Morey: It was hard but if you're gonna do it, bringing in a 9-time all-star is a good start. He's been so key. Such a good fit with James. It is tough but excited for Chris & he'll add a ton. Mike: Can't get a player like that without giving something. We'll miss Pat but gotta move on.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

can whoever voted no just get banned or sthing?

DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  13. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

So this is a 1 year rental for Chris Paul?

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Losing Bev still feels like a punch to the junk. It was a necessary sacrifice though.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We would be stupid to extend him without seeing how everything is playing out first.

17. onreego

onreego Member

Is the Press conference over?

Morey needs to get back to work. :p

ghettocheeze and Mathloom like this.
  18. kanggang

kanggang Member

Morey going all in with pocket 10s against AA (Warriors), time to flop a set

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We can always trade him later, lock him up now!!

20. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Happy Birthday to me =) Thx CP3, Thx Murray.

DonKnock likes this.