1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Can't tell how mad I am at Robben and Lewandowski. Bayern had Dortmund on the ropes, just needed to finish them and but instead went for the fn highlight reel and missed chance after chance. Embarrasing to lose in such a pathetic way to a weaker opponent they should've eliminated easily. This is not on Ancelotti, it's clearly on Robben and Lewandowski. Both have to question themselves after this loss.

Done with football until August. Go Rockets!

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only good thing: Maybe Hoeneß and Rummenigge will be open to some game-changing transfers now, this team needs some fresh blood and at least one more world-class midfielder. Cheap transfers like Rudy, Süle, Costa, Brandt or trying Kimmich as right back certainly don't help.

3. Raz

Raz Member

Well, Brandt won't be cheap but won't help immediately either, at least on the highest level. Not sure if we can find a better option on right back. If Kimmich gets regular minutes here, he could show up like he did last year at the EURO. Hope we get Adler as Neuer's backup and a new forward. Gomez won't return (yet?), he wants to make it to the World Cup squad next year. Only realistic target that comes to my mind is Sandro Wagner, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

What kind of midfielder do you have in mind? I think in the middle we're good with Thiago, Vidal, Sanches, Rudy and probably Martinez.

4. i3artow i3aller

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Never liked Kimmich at right back, always saw some real blunders on defense.

Forward will be an issue, don't see how Wagner will be satisfied with a bench role. Maybe in two years though?

Midfield wise, I really think we should sign a world-class winger (Sanchez?) and sell Costa, tired of him. Also feel like this team needs a true 10, Thiago is better as an 8 or 6 imo. The James Rodriguez rumors have been strong since Ancelotti arrived, so maybe it happens.

ferrari77 likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8. Raz

Raz Member

Do you have any alternatives in mind for right back? I did some research but couldn't find any interesting option other than Leverkusen's Henrichs, who might be too expensive and not ready yet.

Wagner probably wants to stay in Hoffenheim, especially when they play Champions League. Only thought of him, because he said himself he still loves Bayern and would kill to play there again.

Do not want Sanchez: Expensive, character issues, plus he's always playing for the Chilean national team - and I'm not happy with Vidal coming back tired and injured each and every time, don't need that twice. James would be great though, I think his style fits with either Lewandowski or Müller. But here's that South American issue as well. Sucks that the number of matches now basically prevents you from signing South American players, unless they bring unique quality like Vidal.

Some good news: Coman until 2020, Thiago until 2021 with Bayern.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

From research I did:
    National: Henrichs would be option A. Then Weiser (never wanted to see him leave), Klostermann, Passlack.

International (most doubtful and expensive): Hysaj, Semedo, Bellerin, Walker, Karsdorp.

10. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

What's up fellas... we are at the finish line. This is probably the season I have followed the least amount of futbol in 15 years or so. Sucks we couldn't get past Juve in UCL. I think we need to revamp our mid this upcoming summer. Great clasico this past Sunday, probably the best one in 5 years or so. Leo looked like he was in a mission. Damn 500 already!! At least La Liga will be interesting the last month. Pulling for Atleti in UCL.

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Go big or go home!

Go bigger than YAO!

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Leipzig with a draw against Ingolstadt, Bayern only has to win vs Wolfsburg in order to secure the league title.

3:0 at half-time, so pretty much a done deal. Coman and Thiago with a brilliant first half.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

6:0 and title, nice game. Hope Coman and Kimmich continue to start in the remaining games.

14. Raz

Raz Member

6-0! Wolfsburg like an amateur team. Record winning 5th Bundesliga title in a row. Doesn't lead to huge celebrations, but I think we should be grateful to witness such a great team, especially since all these five titles were nowhere near close. I think today's Matchday 31 is one of ot the latest.

The way we went out in the Champions League and DFB Cup still hurts a little, but five in a row helps to get over that.

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just want Costa gone.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Few days ago, some random kid tweeted about Costa being a great part of a potential 2017/18 Liverpool offense, Costa of course liked the Tweet.
    Guy is a certified b****.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hotspurs are on a 9 game winning streak.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

That guy Can can fall! Top 5 action.

AroundTheWorld, Yung-T and ramotadab like this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ronaldo with a hattrick urgh, really don't want to see this guy win the CL again.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think CR7 has matured, and seems to be less self centered and megalomaniacal than years ago.

The kid helped him IMO. He might still be a douche but not the biggest one out there. All just in terms of winning.

#960 daywalker02, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017