1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's answer for one of you guys's post here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by maderzhao, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maderzhao

maderzhao Member

I will post the original one below. I think one of his Chinese fans such as myself post it in his own webpage.

Yao has read it and as below is his reply (and the translation) for this post:

1st replay:

" ʵÔÚÎÞ·¨»Ø±ÜµÄÒ»¸öºÃÌû×Ó£¬ÎÒÒѾ_¸Ðµ½ÁËÕ⼸ÌìÖ÷½ÌÁ·¶ÔÎÒµÄÒªÇ󣬾ÍÊÇÒªÖ÷¶¯Ò»µã´òÇò¡£ºÝ»³ÄîÔÚÑǽõÈüÉÏ´òÇòµÄ¸Ð¾õ£¬ÎÒ»ØÔÚÕâÀïÒ²ÕÒµ½ÕâÖָоõµÄ¡£ÔÚ´Ëллҡ¶þÒ¡»¨·ÑÁËÄÇô´óµÄ¾«Á¦·_ÒëÕâƪ¶«Î÷£¬¸Ð´¥Á¼Éî."

Translation: I just can't ignore such a good post. I do feel that coach really want me play more aggresively during these days. I also miss the dominant feeling in the Asian Championship tournament, and I believe I also can find it here (in Rocket) sooner or later. Hereby I just want thank you to translate such good comments, whick makes me can't help thinking about a lot of things.

2nd reply:

"¿´ÁË¡£´òÀºÇò»¹ÊÇÉÙÏëÒ»µãÃæ²»Ãæ×ӵĺã¬Ò»Çл¹ÊÇÒªÒÔÅжϳ¡ÉÏÇé¿öΪÖ÷£¬°ÔÆøÊÇÒªµÄ£¬µ«ËµÒ»¾äÒ²Ðí´ó¼Ò²»°®Ìý£º±ðÀÏÌý×Å°ÔÆø°ÔÆø£¬ÌýÔÎÁË¡£"

Translation: I got it! IMO, playing basketball is not about "face thing" (who scores, who's the leader, etc.), it's about the judgement in the court. It's surely neccesary to be aggressive or even mean, but please forgive me, don't always talk about this while forgetting other more important issues.

2. maderzhao

maderzhao Member

The original post: (forgive me, I forget the authos's name but I was moved by his motivation and passion)

Against the Nuggets, they won as a team. Against the Grizzlies, they lost as a team.

Mobely--get his sorry ass off this team. Send him to the Clippers where he has all the playground space to do whatever he wants. The man has loads of talent, but what good is all that talent if he has the BB IQ of a ball boy? I swear, when I watch him, it's like he wants to be Francis, or perhaps wants the recognition Francis has. I have a feeling that deep down inside, Mobely doesn't want to be role player. He just doesn't. That sort of desire is hard for a coach to work with. But I'm just an observer. What do I know

Boki--I'm sorry, but Boki is clumsy and stupid. I don't care if he has potential to be a sharp shooter (even though we didn't draft him for that potential), but the guy just seems one-step behind everyone on the court, especially his teammates. He's out of sync. And he took ill advised shots, when, as a guy coming off the bench, he should have been passing to the better shooters (though those guys looked sorry, too). I mean, against Denver, he was 2-2, but when I was watching the game, I thought it was a pretty stupid move when he had the ball on a fast break and rushed a three (which he made). Who cares if he made the shot in a blow-out game. He rushed that shot, and the habit of rushing and taking an ill advised shot will bite you in the ass when playing a game you're losing. Today should be textbook for Boki from now on.

Back to Yao. First off, Yao is good. To quote Shaq: "???? good." Now that's outta the way, I want to add one more glaring fact: Yao is a wimp. I love the guy, but I'm not blind to the fact that he has the ball down deep against a guy he can overpower . . . and then passes it out. Turn and piledrive! What's the point in adding 18 pounds of muscle if you're just going to do fadeaways and hook shots. Wanna know why Yao is foul prone? Because he doesn't play the kind of big-man game that elicits from the Zebras favorable calls. This is the NBA, not the CBA. IN the CBA, I'm sure the refs go by the book with their codified notions of everyone respecting each other, not getting in someone's face, yada yada yada yada. In the NBA, in America, getting in someone's face is the way to give respect and to get it. If Yao turns around and starts driving to the basket for a slam, sure, the refs might call a foul, probably foul after foul at first--but eventually, like someone said (said very well, in fact), the refs are going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Most refs aren't just about calling what the rules say in the BB handbook. They're about regulating the game, and, if possible, allowing a game-flow that will make it more exciting for the fans. I'm sure in NBA-Ref school, Stern tells them this in one way or another. Let the kids play. Shaq drives to the basket and should be called for charging half the time but doesn't get a foul because the fans love power and hustling--and so do the refs. After all, they're human and, once, a long time ago, they were basketball fans, too.

Refs reward honest to God hard work. They reward hustling. That's why guys like Shaq and Ben Wallace thrive. Someone's got to tell Yao this. For the love of humanity, someone has got to get it into his head that if he tears whoever's guarding him a new one by clawing to the hoop and slamming it in, the refs will honor it--it'll bring the inner fan out of the Black-and-white Striped Agent Smiths.

Look at all the greats. They're the GREATS, because they know the rules and the game and have the skill to bend the rules and transcend the fundamental structure of the game to raise it to a whole new level. No one becomes Neo by doing what they're told, and being a cookie-cutter player. You got to break out. You got to scream to the basket like you're pre-historic cave-man trying to break out of ice. Wanna know why Amare got the Rookie of the Year award? Because that single aspect of his aggressive game made everyone overlook the other skills he lacked.

Fundamentals and finesse is great, but you got to have that primal edge, Yao! Jeff Van Gundy. Ewing. If ANY of you guys are reading this, heed my advice. You gotta free Yao's mind. You gotta make him believe that he can dodge bullets, or stop them, and that he owns this team. He can't do it without his teammates, of course, but when he's in the paint with the ball, he has to become the hulk and want one thing: to stuff that rock!

Yao is wimp. He is a pansy. He's a momma's boy. Anyone getting pissed? Good. If we all say it, and say it loud enough, maybe Yao will hear it and get pissed and toughen up.

I saw one of Yao's games in China when they aired it on American TV. It was the final with Korea. Yao controlled his teammates like a dictator. When he was in the paint, he was screaming in Chinese (which I can't understand), but screaming is screaming. HE WAS SCREAMING FOR THE BALL. He was screaming for the ball with a face that said, "If you don't give me the ball, I'm going to beat your ass after the game." He MADE himself the center of the game. And, because of that, he dominated. Back in Asia, He knows--he knows like it's ????ure--that he's the best player around, and because of that he has the confidence to demand the rock.

Back here, he's a little more confident then he was last year in the league, but he's still too polite. You're here, Yao. You're an NBA player now. You're not an exchange student. you're entitled to it all.

Yao was better than everyone in Asia, sure. Yao is great here, but if he really wanted. Like if he really wanted to (ala Shaq and Ben Wallace), he could dominate everyone here. There is so much about his talent and his phyisque that he just not USING in the game. What he is using, alone, is great, but imagine if he used EVERYTHING he had, and even more than everything. Determination is what makes a player use more than the sum of his own parts to get things done--that's what makes them, for 48 minutes, god-like. It's like Good WIll Hunting, when Ben Affleck calls Matt Damon's character a total wuss, adding that Matt Damon has something no one else has, that he's sitting on a lottery ticket and is too much of a wimp to cash it.

Yao is sitting on lottery ticket, and all he has to do is cash it. Guys, Yao is not a stick. He's not a push over. Skinnier centers than him have torn **** up in the past. Skinnier players. Tim Duncan doesn't look thicker than Yao. In a lot of pictures, Yao actually looks thicker. It's all in the mind. Yao still needs to get bigger, but even with his current build and weight, if he just believed he was hella badass, he could nearly reach Shaq (3-peat championship) dominance. In THIS season. If we were to take a machine and supplant a new personality in Yao tonight. Like a personality of an absolute killer, with that same build, he would tear people in half and scare the crap out of people. Yao needs to get stronger and bigger, still, but he's as big and strong as he needs to be to kick ass.

He's not getting the ball? I'll vouch for that. But if he stopped acting like a foriegn exchange student, and realize that he's a teammate, and the best offensive option on his team, and realize what all those things entitle, and demands the ball--like DEMANDS the ball--with his voice, his body, his aggression, his attitude . . . Francis, Mobely, everyone will give him the ???? ball like they don't ever want to see the thing again.

These guys want to give Yao the ball. They do. They wouldn't be trying game after game if they didn't. They wouldn't stay on the team if they didn't. But Yao has to WANT the ball so much that Francis and Mobely don't have to be reminded. Yao gets so quiet--though not as quiet as last year, but, still pretty ******g quiet--that I think Francis and Mobely forget to get Yao the ball. I'm serious. If Yao just takes control and gets pissed, if he shows some initiative, if he yells like the player he is (the player who has a much bigger part of the team pie than the likes of someone like, let's say, Moochie), his teammates will back him up. They'll not show him not only relational respect, but COURT-RESPECT.

The other guys need to pass the ball, but the onus doesn't fall on them. It doesn't fall on Van Gundy. It doesn't fall on Ewing. It falls on Yao.

Yao getting the ball STARTS with Yao demanding the ball. Getting good position down deep and being visibly open isn't enough. You got to make your presence known. You got to make them get you the ball. It's THAT attitude that makes you a center to begin with, not your height or your fancy skills and soft touch. It's the attitude that at any moment, someone is going to take away everything you have, and you can't have that--it's streetball, cage ball gruff.

I hope Colin Pine is reading this so he can relay this to Yao. Sure, 19 to 20 points a game is great. But I know--we ALL know--that if Yao freed his mind and released the animal within, he could easily--and I mean EASILY--score 30 to 40 every other game.

B red

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Is it mine? I can't tell.

4. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

I dont quite follow the chinese bbs but I have a little suggestion to my fellow chinese fans here who want to translate posts in clutchcity into chinese and post them to another forum. I think it's a good idea to ask for permission from the original posters BEFORE u post them on the chinese forum AND please give credit to the original posters when u post on the chinese forum.

RESPECT, RESPECT and RESPECT

5. qrui

qrui Member

it sure isn't mine but said what i always wanted to say.

6. NClady

NClady Contributing Member

I think it's TannerSearle78's post
    I read Yao's bbs too. I want to mention that when TannerSearle78 wrote this, there were few people asked if people know chinese can post in Yao's bbs and Tanner didn't objected. I think the person who translated and posted in Yao's bbs maybe think they are doing 'TannerSearle78' a favour and they posted not just in chinese, they posted the whole english version and mentioned it is by a america poster. I will give the translator a credit for his hard work.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

The original post was fantastic, spot on.

8. coolguy481

coolguy481 Member

hei guys i have a fantastic idea

why dont you justy ask Yao to register in this BBS forum

then he can come and brows some good posts in his leisure time??

9. NClady

NClady Contributing Member

Yao said in one of his post that he can only listen and speak English but can't write and read English. I hope he will register here, but I doubt he will post.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No thanks. We don't need any more Yao-only fans ......;)

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

>>>Mobely--get his sorry ass off this team. Send him to the Clippers where he has all the playground space to do whatever he wants. The man has loads of talent, but what good is all that talent if he has the BB IQ of a ball boy? I swear, when I watch him, it's like he wants to be Francis, or perhaps wants the recognition Francis has. I have a feeling that deep down inside, Mobely doesn't want to be role player. He just doesn't. That sort of desire is hard for a coach to work with. But I'm just an observer. What do I know

Boki--I'm sorry, but Boki is clumsy and stupid. I don't care if he has potential to be a sharp shooter (even though we didn't draft him for that potential), but the guy just seems one-step behind everyone on the court, especially his teammates. He's out of sync. And he took ill advised shots, when, as a guy coming off the bench, he should have been passing to the better shooters (though those guys looked sorry, too). I mean, against Denver, he was 2-2, but when I was watching the game, I thought it was a pretty stupid move when he had the ball on a fast break and rushed a three (which he made). Who cares if he made the shot in a blow-out game. He rushed that shot, and the habit of rushing and taking an ill advised shot will bite you in the ass when playing a game you're losing. Today should be textbook for Boki from now on.<<<<

Cat and Boki have the highest fg% after Yao, they both are shooting 50%. Whats wrong are you afraid that they might get some of Yao's glory?

Come on be a Rocket fan and be objective. Yao is great but he can't do it by himself.

Being a role player is a way overused term. We would have been in bad shape the other night when Yao and Steve weren't doing so well if everyone was just a role player. All players have their role to play even Yao and Steve.

You want Boki passing to better shooters when he comes off the bench but the fact is right now there are no bettter shooters than him except Yao.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If Yao can read english, than he isn't gona be happy with some of the posts on here. Some of them are really OUT THERE :rolleyes:

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Mader Zhao, first I have a problem with how you translated the second reply. I think when Yao's talking about face, he's talking about his image or how he's perceived on the court.

The post to me was goes like this,

I got it, to me one should care little less about face/image when playing basketball. It's all about situation on the court, why agression is needed, I have to say something that will piss alot of people of, "stop with the more agression more agression", I'm getting sick of it.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, the irony...

15. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

MaderZhao, I thought that long post you pasted of another poster was fairly well written, and I am glad Yao actually got a chance to read it and reply to it.

Thanks for sharing it though :)

-G'day-

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

:D

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

It seems that poster thinks Yao is Nemo.

"Free his mind?"

He will transend the game and live somewhere between reality and the virtual world of CluthCity.net.

18. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

how do you say "uncle tommin'" in chinese?

19. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

Mader: Maybe your signature should say "I'm MacBeth".

:D

Good (albeit lengthy) post though.

20. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

I agree with dragon167. Please cite the orginal posters and ClutchCity in future translation.

BTW, both Yao and we appreciate the translation work. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.