1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Regardless of spin....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fansince80, Feb 15, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...ure-going-forward.280551/page-5#post-10930767

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...e-ideas-2016-17.277831/page-116#post-10930765

How many more threads?

[​IMG]

roslolian, joshuaao and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont judge rockets by a single game in february..we are clearly on a cruising control main objectives being to be rested and healthy for the playoffs

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't like the idea of facing Memphis either that would be the worst possible matchup for the Rockets

Stormy1234 likes this.
  4. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Yep, with the team currently constructed, facing Memphis in the first round is not very attractive. Still yet, I think we'd win in 7. After that? Who knows. The bottom-line is this: we absolutely need to add another guard, the SF position is a black hole, and you can make the argument that we need at least 1 more, if not 2 more, bigs. That doesn't exactly scream championship, does it?

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't see us as a true contender no matter how much we have improved from last year. I really don't see us being able to beat the Warriors, Spurs, or Grizzlies in a 7 game series. Its probably a toss up against the Jazz, Thunder or Clippers. Harden has been fantastic this season, but his post season history has me nervous when it comes to the playoffs and if Ariza doesn't get out of his funk we are in big trouble. I don't expect 25ppg from Ariza but we need a consistant 12-14 ppg and hitting the open shots or that will be that much more attention by defenses on Harden and Gordon on the perimeter.

roslolian likes this.
  6. Fansince80

Fansince80 Member

1. It would probably be wise to review your punctuation and grammar, in general, before calling someone dumb.

2. Yes, thanks for the 5th grade appraisal of where the Rockets currently sit.

3. They sit there mostly leaning on the efforts and results of one particular month.

4. Already sitting at No.3, why do you, all of the sudden, lower expectations in order to excuse bad play?

5. No. 3 is not a bad thing, right now, but is cause for major concern moving forward.

6. Given the way the team has gotten handled by "lesser" teams this past month, I would say the situation has moved beyong concern and into "sour". IMO.

7. The Rockets have seen the best out of Anderson and Gordon for this year, I believe, and I'm beginning to think Dekker may be wearing thin from his first full NBA season. Gordon may be "back" at some point, but Andersen is now at marginal roll player levels. Capella is also soft as socks and won't cut it in the playoffs.

Let's see what the second half brings. I hope I'm wrong but am not liking at all what I'm seeing going forward.

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Regardless of spin, Kenny Smith's shot went in a lot

Shroopy2 and alethios like this.
  8. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Harden should never worry you. He'll be fine. And I still truly believe that the only 2 teams in the West better than us currently constructed are the Warriors and Spurs. However, that still means we aren't winning the West...so I suppose you're right about us not being a true contender. We're still not anywhere close to the levels of either of those 2 teams.

9. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I think there was a lot of delusion among the fanbase. The team, as currently constructed, will have a very difficult time contending in the West. There's simply not enough defense. We have no issues scoring a **** ton of points. I can't even remember the last time this team didn't score 100+ in a game, maybe back in early December?

Our problem is defense and we all knew coming into the season.

roslolian likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Time for an acknowledged expert on top 5 lists to speak on this matter.

The problem is, other than the Warriors and Spurs, you can say that every team in the conference doesn't belong in the top 5.

And since we've actually won more games than all of the others, I'd have to say we are a top 5 team.

roslolian likes this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

The one common theme with this team has been effort or when they decide to bring it. The skill is there, but the sometimes the will is not.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

If we just had DMo...

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Of the top 50 players in Total Minutes played, Trevor Ariza is #4 in the entire league - which makes him the OLDEST heavy minutes player. And ONLY 3 other older players in the top 50: Lebron, Carmelo, Marc Gasol

No old role player is asked to play as much as Ariza. Even minutes per game, Ariza is oldest except Lebron. Someone's gonna be at top of rankings, but maybe it shouldnt be Ariza at this point.

On minutes, Harden is #1 total minutes (again). Compare that to Kawhi Leonard who is just #49 in total minutes. Anderson is #53 and though he SHOULD be playing that much cuz of contract, thats probably high end of minutes for him as well.

I'm suggesting its overuse, schedule, and wear-and-tear as reasons for Ariza's erratic play and team play overall. Kinda remarkable Ariza has even held up as well as he has, Harden too.

topfive, roslolian and Deuce like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good points @Shroopy2. Ariza plays those minutes because the team is desperate for defense and desperate to keep Brewer off the floor.

Shroopy2 likes this.
  15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Since Jan 1st.
    gsw +13.4
    Sa +9.7
    Utah +5.2
    Hou +3.8

Since Jan 15th
    Gsw +15.1
    Sa +7.9
    Dal +5.7
    Utah +5.2
    Hou +5.2

Since Feb 1st
    Gsw +12.4
    Sa +9.7
    Utah +9.5
    Hou +8.7

Somehow we've been trending upwards lol. Knee-jerk reactions are the best sometimes.

roslolian likes this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

:( Come on bruh, don't say that

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

1. Being dumb has nothing to do with punctuation and grammar. I'm writing on mobile and this is an internet board not a business correspondence so I cant be bothered to write correct grammar and punctuation.
    2. Saying the Rockets arent a top 5 team regardless of spin is like looking at the sun and saying its really cold there. Its against the facts and against reality. Its funny you even say spin when ur the one doing the spinning. By what metric can you say rox arent a top 5 team when they have the 3rd best record? Ur just pulling things out of ur ass and you have the nerve to say regardless of spin in your title? Thats what got my goat, your post is just 100% projection its like creating a group of perverts and sexists and then calling them the gentleman alliance.

3. Why is saying the Rox are no 3 lowering expectations? Thats totally illogical ever hear of S.M.A.R.T. when it comes to setting goals and expectations? Its not realistic to expect the Rocket to contend this year, regardless of what type of play the Rox are doing there is a huge talent gap between the contenders and non contenders
    ..which is expected given the way the super teams are constructed.
    4. The Rox are still no 3 seed in the west. If they're as bad as you keep saying they are how come other teams havent caught up? Every team goes through spikes and slumps, thats why the league waits for the entire season to finish before they assign the playoff seeds. You didnt say anythi0ng during the spike but now are being a chicken little during the slump. When the Rox fall out of the playoff race then you can panic. Or not, cuz that means you get a lottery pick.
    5. We dont know how the team will perform in the playoffs. Regardless.of how they do why should Morey break the bank for a run this year? The Rox arent contenders there isnt anyone they can get with the assets they have which will move the needle forward into contention. Capela is just 22 years old, calling him soft is just dumb as he is still figuring out his skills. We dont know how he will turn out, he can be a beast starting next year for all we know.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

DD hates Morey and the Rox ever since they let DMo go. Maybe he even wants the franchise to fail so Morey will be fired and they will regret letting the "wolf who's not scared of the forest" walk away in free agency.

Utah's such a contender they're 5 freaking games behind the Rockets. Right. And the Rockets arent even contenders in first place.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You know when topfive says you are top 5, you are top 5

topfive and Zergling like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is because we're actually one wing short in the rotation. Thats why IMHO what we need the most is another wing. The Rox didnt need a center when Pat Bev first came back and everyone was fresh. Halfway into the season, a big man wont solve their fatigue problems.