1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets vs Heat game will be broadcast in 4K?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tnopham, Jan 16, 2017.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Part of the problem with films in 4K is that the source material for a lot of them ain't true 4K. It's usually 2K upconverted.

That does seem like a solid budget 4K TV with HDR. The black level performance is weak and it doesn't appear to meet the HDR10 standards, but if you have to have a 4K TV now and you don't wanna spend more than that amount, it seems like a good choice. I might give it til later in the year though and see what the 2017 models offer. TVs always offer more features for a lower price if you give it enough time.

LonghornFan likes this.
  2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There's an assortment of features including Sony's Triluminous (usually reserved for their highest end TVs) HDR along with a 10 bit color display. That's right it's a 10 bit panel.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If it meets the HDR10 standard, it's probably a safe purchase. Dolby Vision is quickly becoming more prevalent in 4K TVs, but content right now is limited to VUDU, Amazon, and Netflix. Maybe later this year, we'll see some Dolby Vision UHD discs. But those will still work fine on a HDR-only set since the HDR layer will play without the DV metadata.

4. Doge

Doge Member

So is the game going to be in 4k or nah?

BigShasta likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm... On a different subject for films, I thought this really depends on if they're using actual film or going back to the original masters for mastering these 4k blurays (also if they were originally shot in actual film and done correctly). I am pretty sure original 35-70mm film can be 4-8k (but correct me if I'm wrong) and I know you're right that in some cases it can be 2k either down converted from 4k and then scaled up for quick distribution or originally shot at a lower res (so... then you're not getting true 4k once scaled). Obviously this is off topic from a sports game and applying more to original film/imax type stuff but interesting none the less.

When I buy 4k or even regular blu ray for older released movies I try to verify they're using the original masters and they were not only shot correctly but they were preserved, unfortunately it takes a bit more research but can pay off. I know a good example on Blu Ray (just 1080) is the old Road Warrior movie (pretty sure that was 4k masters downscaled to 1080p iirc).

I typically prefer blu ray because it's not super compressed like streaming, but I am interested to see how broadcast compares to streaming in 4k, I know it won't be 4k blu ray but it should be interesting. Unfortunately I just have TWC/Spectrum Wooo

6. tnopham

tnopham Member

Was hoping someone would have a definitive answer but looks like I'll just tune in to see on RootSports on Xfinity.

639 is the HD channel and I found there was an alternate HD channel 710. So I'll just check it out tonight.

http://southwest.rootsports.com/channel-finder/

7. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

You should get it on DirecTV if you have the Choice package or higher:

Choice:
    • The package that beats cable, including all the top entertainment, news, and sports channels, plus your local sports.
    • Over 175 channels
    • Local channels included at no extra charge [?]
    • Now includes live 4K – Enjoy amazing live entertainment in stunning life-like clarity.[?]

jae713 likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Typically when the rockets play on NBATV, the broadcast is blacked out locally.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not in Austin.

:)

DD

jae713 and Astrodome like this.
  10. jae713

jae713 Member

Will it be on the same channel as always?

11. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I assume so...ch 674 is what my DVR records.

jae713 likes this.
  12. thiefery

thiefery Member

I bought a 4k LG HD TV in Dec, took it back as soon as I mounted it. My older Samsung LED TV had a better picture. Went ahead and bought the curved Samsung LED 4K smart TV. Great picture however I'm waiting for the DVDs thats designed for these..

Also its hard to hear that Root Sports may start broadcasting in 4k, yet League Pass still doesn't offer all games in HD.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

What if I didn't get a triple double in 4k? Then what?

14. jae713

jae713 Member

Can't tell if 4k or not. I will choose to believe it's 4k.