1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

13-7 and on the edge of a steep cliff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We looked flimsy the first 5. Decent the next 5.

We looked pretty good the last 10.

The schedule has been difficult as hell and they have not had enough practices, which is bound to exacerbate turnovers and defensive breakdowns. Remember, new coach, lots of new players, preseason starts in China, and then 13 of the first 20 games on the road. People doubting your ability to MAKE the playoffs.

I think the schedule has helped the team in a huge way. It seems to have helped chemistry a lot, a bunch of new teammates on the road a whole lot to start the season. Being discounted by major media outlets. Pressure from the public really low. I think it really forged them into a nice TEAM.

What comes next is important. We are favorites in 12 of the next 15 games with favorable amounts of rest and home games. Will the team relax or will these guys fix the leaks and come out even stronger? MDA is going to tell you how to score, but our problems have been about (a) how to stop people from scoring on us and (b) how do people intend to score on us. I can see those things being tightened up in practice. I think the team is bound to cool off a bit and I'm prepared for that, but these guys have a certain character which keeps me interested in whether they will continue to beat my expectations.

If anyone is disappointed at this point of the season, they deluded themselves early on. There was no scenario in our control under which we would be winning more games by now. The schedule and circumstances heavily favored pessimists to start the season, but the team has done an admirable job coming out of the gate. Proud of this squad, I am connecting with their effort and chemistry. And the team is looking good doing it: you could see the Warriors had that "oh wow, how do we stop them from scoring" look on their faces. Harden has dived for loose balls more than all his other seasons combined, Dekker is on a mission, Beverley is adapting perfectly, Ariza is feeling a resurgence, Capela is growing up fast, Anderson is hitting 3's from Tomball, Gordon is looking like a legit 3rd star, MDA and Morey's minds are meeting in the future of the NBA, etc.

It's a good season. You can't complain. This quality of basketball will have us in a good position for the present and future. Yes I would have liked a better pick next summer, but so far these guys have shut me up with their play. A team that could have special chemistry after last season's catastrophe.

mikus, hmurry5, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  2. K-Lo_The_Future

Some people cant enjoy the moment. :rolleyes:

Remlap likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Young athletic well coached teams cause us issues, Boston will not be easy.

DD

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

At least we (The Rockets) have our heads held high at the edge of a steep cliff at 13-7. Eggball Texans are balls deep into the ground at (6-6). They at 0.500. I hope them losers remain CALM

5. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I sometimes feel that we are own worst enemy. Or when harden has one of those random stinkers where he get 20 turnovers.

6. valorita

valorita Member

Causes everyone issues.
    As long as threes are falling at a decent clip, we should pull through.

7. bearded

bearded Member

My only fear is that our FG%(.466, 3rd in NBA) and more particularly our 3P%(.378, 5th in NBA while shooting more 3s than anyone else at 37 3PA per game) is not representative and will adjust to slightly lower levels which will make a whole lotta difference in our offense's efficiency.

To be fair, our 3P% is not out of this world considering our assets and style of play this year but if we take into consideration that Harden which contributes a bunch of them is shooting from 3 below par so far into the season and is bound to get his % up, if the rest of the team keeps shooting like this we will be over .400; for reference , 73-9 GSW shot .416.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Texans will be at the state of being mediocre forever, because they don't have a competent GM like the Rockets. I know it's hard to find a franchise quarterback, but dam homie just keep drafting until you find one.

vstexas09 likes this.
  9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

See right, thing is though, I mean.....Ryan ANDERSON?! What he do that WILTJER can't do? Do he board? Do he D?! Do he pass? NAH - fool can't even DUNK! $80 mil? Psshht , SOFT a** team... Got D-Mo sitting out - Fire Maurey!

SamFisher likes this.
  10. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

I'm having a hard time discerning the sarcastic from the real in this thread...... so I'm just going to leave...

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The defense has actually been looking halfway decent. I can't believe it's not butter

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Effort and energy.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Keys to the game:
    1. Outscore your opponent
    2. Don't let the opponent outscore you
    3.????
    4. WIN

14. thiefery

thiefery Member

Coming into training camp I was feeling the same way, but then watching the preseason games.. had me drinking the jungle juice in gallons. Not gonna lie, the opener loss against LAL had me thinking it was all mirage. Seeing how LAL have been playing so far, that wasn't a bad loss.

15. thiefery

thiefery Member

5. PROFIT$$$$

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I guess better than 0-3 and on the edge of a steep cliff.

Did not go into detail like basketballholic.

[​IMG]

In the 36 years of the modern basketball era (3-point shot),

1) How many teams started 13-7 and went on to win a championship?
    2) How many teams had a winning record after their first 20 games & went on to win a championship.
    3) How many teams lost at least 7 games in their first 20 and went on to win a championship?
    4) How does the Rockets current +/- stack up against other teams who started 13-7 in NBA history?

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We win the next few games then revisit this thread at 15-7.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rickets trash strategic of scoring more gets lucky Gain.

Winter is coming

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

undefeated as the Rickets

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.