1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Considering there are way more UH alums here, that's not true.

UH has repped harder locally the last few years, than the Horns did in '05-'06 (or anytime since I've been old enough to know). Coogs didn't even win anything. Phi-Slama was before my time, but I can pretty much guarantee that era repped 1000x harder locally than anything UT, ever.

If there was a local poll choosing UT or UH to win a title, Coogs would easily win. Rice probably wins over Texas too. It's not a knock against UT... Cincinnati would vote Bearcats over Buckeyes if they could choose. Charlotte would pick Davidson over Duke/NC.

Now, whether those cities believe their local-squad would win is a different vote..

#8761 Houstunna, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What a dumbass. Let me guess - you went to UH?

tinman likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Kirk Bohls ✔@kbohls
    I'm told it could take $6 million a year to sign Herman at Texas. Also hear that Oregon is kicking the tires on Alabama OC Lane Kiffin.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah, but I'll let you be my *****.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Dominoes falling. Looking likely

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I respect what Strong has done in the locker room and, by all accounts, what he has the kids doing in the classroom. Unfortunately, you can't go 5-7 in consecutive years. Maybe he's right and they will make a huge leap next year. But he said that last year, too. There's been 0 improvement on the field and that, ultimately, is his job. He's a great coach for a non-power 5 team where he can have the mediocre/bad years mixed in with the good years and be there for a long time.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Congrats to Texas. Yall are getting a great coach.

Hopefully some of you respect UH as a program a little more now.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tough to say there was zero improvement. The offense was greatly improved even though it sputtered horribly at the end. But Strong was just unable to field a complete team. There was always an aspect of the game (offense, defense, special teams) that struggled.

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Okay, it's Tilman time...

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't go 5-7 in consecutive seasons while losing to Kansas. Despite Charlie doing a good job helping the kids mature into students and men, he couldn't get it done on the field. Programs in the stratosphere of Texas do not tolerate losing with no apparent improvement.

I've been saying it's not just that Charlie lost games, it's HOW he lost them; consistent blowouts to TCU, lost to Kansas, shut out against Iowa State, unable to stop anybody against Cal, mistakes compounding on themselves, etc. You can lose games, and hold your head high, and you can lose games in ways never seen on the 40 Acres like Strong did.

I wish Charlie the best and hope that he can get an SEC job. Maybe his defensive reputation will see a resurgence in that conference. I don't think he was ever able to adapt to the Big 12's offenses.

Hopefully Tom Herman helps these kids make the leap.

Hustle Town likes this.
  13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i don't have a dog in this fight...but any of you UT fans worried about some of those losses UH had this year...SMU, navy right?

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Houston is my second team, so out of respect, please don't be stupid and take Charlie Strong

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It does worry me, but I think Navy is a good team who runs a weird system that kids aren't used to playing. SMU is unacceptable, but it seems a lot of key players were injured and the rumors around Herman leaving were already swirling.

My hope is that Herman will succeed at Texas because of the school's resources and ability to out recruit anybody (which we haven't been doing up until last year). He worked wonders with UH's limited resources and depth, so the hope is that he'll translate that to greater success at Texas. That isn't a knock on UH; their fans should be proud of what the team has done the last two years. But it's an acknowledgement of the current pecking order.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The last 3 years notwithstanding, Strong is as impressive of a candidate as we're going to find.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think Herman will do fine but I think they should've made a run at Chip Kelly. I believe he would've been a great fit at Texas.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Woah scout reporting that Tim Brewster is coming with Herman. Brewster is an ace recruiter who got VY.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's got the Berman stamp now.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

But everyone made you their b**** when you decided to go full r****d in this thread.