1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

TBH Worrell, Clyde, and Bull are not great together. We all like Worrell because he has been here forever, but objectively he is not what he used to be. I haven't enjoyed him much since Calvin left really.

If anything I'm still more pissed at Les for not putting Calvin back behind the mic than this.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This actually is a wise move by Les, probably the only right decision he made in the last decade.

3. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

my point is that the impression that is given is not aligned with the facts on this

for some reason youre thinking that hes being fired and on his last two weeks however hes working home games this season and theyre working on figuring out the transition

if it was contentious it would be a straight up breakup

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Welcome to the real world millennial. You think you're a special snowflake?

5. smr6

smr6 Member

It makes sense.

In the age of League Pass, we are consistently ranked at the bottom in terms of broadcast announcers. If you go read the rankings people can't stand our guys.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It wasn't because of Bill though.

This forum has been complaining about Drexler since day 1 and Bullard isn't very good either

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Ho Chen or bust.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm a very special snowflake ;)

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We all have to retire sometimes. However, Bill, Bull and Calvin give me a certain comfort level. They don't talk like they are at an auction, a condition which suits my aging ears.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's coming up on 70 years old, and he's been making a good salary (hopefully) for decades. It's not like Les is putting him out on the streets. Now, it would be illegal for Les to consider Worrell's age in making employment decisions, but transitioning to the new voice of the team makes sense. Especially in what will be a non-contending year for the team.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree here with Les...like I said in the other thread, Bill is a likeable guy but he is not a good commentator.

But, if he is replaced with someone who does a worse job then its a weak move. I know Ackerman is great, but will he get a full time position is questionable right now

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Objectively anyone outside of Houston or that didn't grow up in Houston will rank the Rockets broadcast on the low end of the spectrum due to the homerism, cranky attitude towards the refs, and corny jokes that often don't land.

Go ask Zach Lowe what he thinks about the Rockets broadcast.

That being said, we Houstonians grew up with Bill as the voice of the Rockets, and appreciate what he brings even though he's an old timer who does old timer things. Worrell is a class act and a monument to Houston sports.

The fact is though that the Rockets likely want to grow their popularity outside the Houston hardcore fanbase from the 80's and 90's. This is a global game, and league pass is how a large majority of NBA fans will be witnessing the Rockets and hopefully starting to follow them closer (leading to things like votes for Harden MVP, fan interest for away games, merchandising, etc.). I totally understand how a business savvy owner would say that in THIS GENERATION moving on from Worrell (and especially Clyde) would be the right move.

However it stings to show any sort of disrespect to a living legend of Houston, and a class act like Bill Worrell. I hope they handle his departure with grace, and he's honored with a huge amount of respect. I know I for one will really try to soak up and enjoy Bill's last year with the team if that is the case.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Source: Kevin Eschenfelder would be the heir apparent not Ackerman in a year's time.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bill and Bull are way too homerific. A little homerism isn't bad, but they wine about everything.

I like listening to Portland, pelicans, nets and knicks broadcasters. They aren't too homerific.

I prefer Clyde over Bull. At least he is funny with his absurdity some time. Bull and Bill are pretty boring along with their wining.

15. dmoneybangbang

I don't mind Bill's homerism, I just can't stand Clyde.

My impression of Clyde is that he arrives 15 minutes late from a round of golf and says something like, "Hey, guys! What's going on? Playing the Hawks? No? Lakers? Whatever, I am good to go!"

16. MistaK

MistaK Member

Yeah same here, kinda sad that Worrell is going. Now while I think that every Rockets fan knows Craig, I still think he will be a breath of fresh air to many.

Now this may mainly be true for overseas fans like me - but I've only seen Craig do stuff for Rockets.com and haven't heard much of his radio stuff - save for a few youtube clips, like the one Clutch posted earlier today or this GEM :grin:

https://youtu.be/lTeZ6elLcow

17. MistaK

MistaK Member

...aaahhh, embedding didn't work :rolleyes:

18. anchel

anchel Member

What about the unis. Why we stay with those unis.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

MAN F*** LES! Bill should be able to call game until his eyes and teeth fall out. I love his voice. I rather hear him do a one man call instead of bull and clyde. I hope cyberx is wrong about this one. hopefully its from the same sources as dwight to gsw lol

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i wish he'd take his own advice and get younger at the ownership position.