1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MTV] Which one were you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:
?

Which MTV were you?

1. 120 Minutes

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Yo! MTV Raps

20 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Headbangers Ball

26 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. I'm too young for this ****

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. Buck Turgidson

From '87ish to '95ish, you know who your were.

Which one was most you?

There is no wrong answer, that's why there's no "all of the above" and it's a private poll.

2. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL8FC36DAFE84E8751" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLQFU6_vBVAFIzTsyYElgM9vVFmAoehJg7" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL0dru1LugFn_Z_LAW2rHt7qav17W3MAW1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Obligatory "Bring BACK f%#$n HeadBANGERS BALL!" :mad::mad: Every 3 years cry)

Yo MTV Raps for me. Its UNDER-estimated how prominent that show actually WAS bringing rap into the forefront. Not saying its the BEST show, but of all the shows if you picked which one had a chance to still be on the air itd be Yo MTV Raps.

Viacom really sucks.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Im slightly too young, but Headbanger's Ball.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P12R4bKC_ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Buck Turgidson

Rikki Rachman, yeah? I was already a teenage metalhead, so he was preaching to the choir.

I had been listening to Sugar Hill and whatever fun hip hop stuff I could find, pretty much anything the older neighbor kids thought was cool, then it was off to the record store in the mall. In 6th grade I remember this kid at school Greg had tapes of License To Ill and Raising Hell and **** got serious on our yellow Sony Walkmans. Then I discovered Public Enemy, BDP, De La Soul, Slick Rick, NWA, etc... for a middle school middle class white kid I had never heard any of what Chuck D or NWA were talking about, that was an educational eye-opener. And Yo MTV just rolled right with that part of my life...

Then I was up way late one night and I discovered this strange music show...first song I think I remember was Siouxie and the Banshees, and then I was hooked on that as well.

Thanks for letting me babble, it was a bad evening and I haven't been able to sleep, thus the screwing around on the bbs at odd hours. I am curious what you guys remember from back in the day, this bbs has great taste in music.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Butthead

1 person likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm more Real World.

10. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGauZm2pOSQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Seasons 2 and 3 were excellent. Those were some great social experiments. I would love to see a serious real world in today's climate.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

And to answer the question, I was an MTV Rock n Jock guy. Loved the early softball and basketball ones. Loved me some early 90s Spring Break and Summer.

120 minutes came on at 11pm Sunday nights, so that was out of the question for me.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe in a few months, because right now they'd all just be walking zombies looking for pokemons.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Can we vote both Yo! MTV Raps and Headbanger's Ball? Anyways, used to love Headbanger's Ball but Matt Pennfield was a little lame although he knew his stuff. Speaking of MTV hosts, I listen to an old school rap radio station in DFW called 94.5 Boom. Pretty solid station that I am sure can be streamed for anyone who knows how to use I heard radio, etc. I definitely recommend.

In the morning, they have Ed Lover as the host. He would say his name and I always assumed it was just some guy using "Ed Lover" as his radio host name but this thread made me look into it more considering no way Ed Lover would allow his "name" to be used by another person so a quick google search confirmed that it his him.

I have actually found him to pretty annoying now but that was when I thought he was someone else. I will give him another chance given his background and for the nostalgia. He also knows his rappers and dogs the new age rappers quite a bit.

He does a somewhat funny bit called "C'mon Son" when he picks a headline and makes fun of the person that did something stupid and then uses that phrase. Ripped it off of "Come on Man" on ESPN I assume.

On a different note, still remember the 94 Woodstock like it was yesterday. They had round the clock coverage at the event and they really did a good job with all of the quirky VJ's that they had like Kennedy, Bill Bellamy, Alison Stewart, Tabitha Soren, etc. I am glad I grew up in the last generation of good music and was able to experience the peak of Music Television. My how it has fallen by the way of TMZ, too much reality TV.

Real World was just too successful as the original reality TV and unfortunately mindless people just started gravitating towards it even when it turned from the Real World to the Massively Produced World that I have come to hate.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, forgot about the Spring Break and Summer specials. Spring Break was awesome. Also, Singled Out was pretty good television too.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I was Flinstones and DuckTales, but after school big brother would (literally) kick me in the gut and turn it to the Diggy Diggy Doc.

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I was more I.R.S.'s the Cutting Edge and USA networks Night Flight. :p

1 person likes this.
  19. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

420 for 120