1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ezeli still a possibility for the Rockets? Why are we not talking about this?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Jul 5, 2016.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I think we are all remembering how he played against the rockets and not seeing the big picture here. Yeah he's a scrub but looked good against the rockets. He would be horrible especially at that price tag.

2. Garner

Garner Member

It's a big spotlight to experience the first time. No reason to leave the kid for dead. Would happily bring him on.

3. mightybosstone

I'm all for adding a veteran who can push Capela for the starting role and play 15-20 minutes a game. But I think Ezeli is going to be too expensive for that role. If they could somehow get him for $10 million a year or less, I'd be on board, but considering how much guys like Mozgov, Noah and Mahinmi got, I think that's highly unlikely.

I do think the Rockets need to find a big man for that purpose, but I kind of doubt that Ezeli is going to be that guy.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Pass. With our young frontcourt I think our money would be better served bringing in a slightly washed up veteran big man on a cheap 1 yr deal. Honestly Hibbert was a steal for Charlotte at 5 mill, same with Zaza to the Warriors.

5. mightybosstone

I still can't believe Pachulia took that deal. I get that he wants to win a title, but he easily could have gotten a multi-year deal worth more than five times that per year. And at his age, he's only got so many more of those opportunities left in his career.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Ezeli is one of the best rim protectors in the game:

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

His FG% allowed at the rim is 44%. That's 6th in the NBA. For comparison, Capela is 51st in the NBA, allowing 49.4% at the rim.

Ezeli also contest % is 40.6%, which is the 3rd highest in the NBA. This stat means that he is contesting a high number of shots at the rim. He's really getting after it. For comparison, Capela is 16th at 35%.

Ezeli's "points saved per 36" is far and away the best in the NBA. He saves 4.32 points per 36. The guy in 2nd is Hassan Whiteside at 2.80. Capela is 24th at 1.10 points saved per 36.

Long story short, if you want a rim protector, Ezeli is probably the best in the league.

1 person likes this.
  7. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

^ surprised no one has mentioned that yet. he's definitely not a scrub

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no NBA player is a scrub, laugh at people who think they are

Some people comment in anger mostly jealous that these guys get to do something the fans wish they could do....play basketball for a living

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would love to pick up this guy to get us some toughness. He would be a good guy to have opposite Ryno.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

He also got better offensively in these past two years, not sure he's worth our attention though...

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

No thanks. He strikes me as a player that will bust after getting a big contract. Playing on an all time great team makes him look a lot better than he is.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

He literally just has to set picks and by the end of the year he'll have a ring :rolleyes:

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nah...if you read something about him you'll see that he's actually a nice guy and a hard worker, but still, not sure he's worth that money from us...

14. thejav

thejav Member

Much rather roll with capela and nanu!!!!

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The low minutes makes it hard to interpret his defensive stats. He only played 16 minutes for the Warriors and only like 8 in the playoffs. You'd be projecting him into a bigger role for sure.

The contract would have to offer the team some value to gamble on him. If we are talking Aldrich money that's one thing. If we are talking $10 million? No thank you.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

he's actually got the toughest job on that team. it's not easy to be on a team full of chuckers, trying to run down the long rebound, surrounded by space being the only guy in the middle as the last line of defense at the rim. I think Ezeli will only get better and will excel more quickly on another team. I thought he was underrated on draft night and still think so. sure he was exposed against Lebron in the playoffs, but who wouldn't be? He's a smart and coachable guy too.

17. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

I like him, but not sure he's worth the price that he's going to command. I'll pass at this point.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Didn't he have a decent three point shot? Wait no, that's Maurice Speights, the guy we should actually be trying to get. Or someone like him.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ezeli will be a good inside player, especially given a minutes increase... But..... I'm not interested in another FT liability... Those times Dwight were fouled really messed up the offensive flow sometimes. I mean Ezeli also hurt the GSWs some in the playoffs because of that.

Have to almost be Shaq like to get away with the free throw thing, and he's not Shaq.

20. dje243

dje243 Member

Clint Effing Capela. That's why we pass.