1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry's the best right now

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Jan 23, 2016.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yep. Because under the old rules, that's not a hand-check. That's a foul.

2. MD_in_Training

No ref now or then would call that in the last 30 seconds of the game. Again, this isn't limited to Curry. This applies to every single player in the NBA.

3. Nook

Nook Member

This is absolutely absurd.

Steph Curry wasn't even the best player at his position the last two series against the Thunder or the Cavaliers.

He is still a Hall of Fame player, but this is the second straight year that when the defense in the playoffs ratcheted up a few notches that Curry really wasn't all that special.

4. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes: Right.

Do you remember how games were officiated under "the old rules", players regularly pushed through picks, were able to hand check, push and shove in close quarters.

Just deal with it.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry clearly outplayed Westbrook.

He averaged 26 ppg in last season's finals. That may not be special, but he was still the best offensive player on the Warriors.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You asked for an example of a blatant, uncalled foul. I gave you an example. At this point, what are you arguing?

7. Nook

Nook Member

In the past teams would/could pressure another player from one end of the court to the other, and it wasn't uncommon for both players to push, slap and bump each other with seldom a foul being called. You can hit 35 footers and you still wouldn't get a good or clean shot off with the hounding, funneling to the center of the land and blatant bumping and reaching that was the norm for a long period of the NBA.

You can argue or complain that Curry received different treatment in the regular season, and I will tell you that is no real excuse. The NBA is notorious for allowing players to play and not blowing the whistle. James Harden has been roundly criticized on these boards for inconsistent playoff efficiency for that reason. Michael Jordan was regularly mobbed and slapped by the Celtics and Pistons. Wilt had to deal with it.

The reality is that Curry is a Hall of Famer, and he is a special player, but he isn't like guys like Jordan, James, Magic and others that could literally carry teams for entire series.

The Warriors were not the best team ever, they will not be remembered anywhere close to being a great team. They are going to be remembered by the 2007 Patriots, 2001 Mariners and other teams.

Hell, there are a lot of people seriously questioning if the Warriors would have beaten the Cavs last year had Kyrie and/or Love been healthy the whole season.

8. MD_in_Training

I asked you for video evidence of a pattern of blatant fouls that you claim was the reason for Curry's subpar performance. One iffy hand checking foul at the end of the game (that would never be called for any player in any era) doesn't support your position.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I have to agree with wekko368. During the last two series, OKC and Cleveland were both allowed to grab and hold Curry (i.e. foul him) off the ball and it wasn't being called. It's understandable for him to get frustrated, but the complaining and whining to the officials while plays were still ongoing and ended up costing his team points is inexcusable. The body language needs to improve as well. But grabbing a player, pulling their jersey, and holding them with either one or two arms...those are fouls that need to be called.

10. MD_in_Training

I didn't see fouls that were committed on Curry that weren't also committed against any other player in the playoffs off the ball.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yeah, I feel you, but the amount of holding and grabbing that was done to Curry off the ball just seemed excessive, even by playoff standards. It was basically a situation where the most egregious violations would only be called.

GSW also should've adjusted better to the reality of the situation though. They should have ran more on-ball stuff for Curry, more Steph PnR with Green, etc..

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

At this point, you're trying to argue that other guards endured the same type of bumps and holds that Curry endured. That doesn't make sense to me.

Curry received that level of defensive attention because of his ability to catch and shoot at high percentage. Most players can't do that. As a result, those players aren't running through the lane trying to get open. And since those players aren't running through the lane trying to get open, they won't get held/bumped like Curry.

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

GS does have a complaint in that the games were called differently than they were expecting. But it's debatable whether those fouls "need" to be called. The whole point of playoff basketball is that players try harder to win. Games are called looser because that rewards players for playing with intensity. IMO, that makes for the most exciting game.

At the other extreme, calling games tight rewards technical play, i.e. not who tries hardest but who can exploit the rules the best? Curry is the best technical player the league has ever seen. However, his style is at odds with the idea that trying harder should be rewarded.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

Translation: Playing the game of basketball. People hold everybody. Deal with it.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It wasn't. It's typical playoff basketball.

And it was the norm period before the rule changes. Yet some still think Curry would look the same when what was allowed the last two rounds would have been allowed 24/7.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So... Basically what you're saying is Curry couldn't play in the more physical eras of ball (and I agree).. Haha, other than probably Green... can you imagine the rest of them going up against the Bad Boys w/ the old rules??? Curry would get broken in two in the lane.

No doubt, Curry has an incredible shot (probably best ever), however physical ball is where the Warriors get beat, and unless they're hitting unconscious from 3... typically the physical play seems to get to them (and take them off their hero ball). I think Green and maybe Iggy though probably could take/give some good hits..

Next year though... they probably won't go for regular the season record (if they even get a shot). I mean it's all about clicking and being more physical in the playoffs because they actually let you play a bit more. And while you can play a bit more, Green needs to do a better job with those kicks :)

17. MystikArkitect

If we count all of Currys 3s during this year, how many came off of an illegal screen?

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nope, it's not typical playoff basketball. Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SroxlroBONU

Its the Irving/Curry highlights from game 7. How many fouls are committed against Irving that go uncalled? By my count, there are 5 uncalled fouls committed against Curry.

1:42 - As Curry runs his route, Kevin Love uses his left elbow and hits Curry square in the chest, changing the course of his route.

2:21 - Curry beats Shumpert, and Shumpert uses his right arm to hold Curry back.

3:48 - Curry comes off a screen and Irving pulls the back of his jersey.

4:29 - As Curry dribbles on the perimeter, Love runs right into him.

6:41 - As Curry dribbles on the perimeter, Tristan Thompson repeatedly hits Curry's right arm.

Keep in mind, those are the uncalled fouls committed against Curry on his highlights. Can you imagine the number of uncalled fouls on the rest of the plays?

Also note that Irving got multiple and-1's off minor contact that he initiated (i.e. using his forearm to push off a defender).

19. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Steven Curry is literally the worst player in nba history

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Worse than Robert Swift?