1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Says He Doesn't Take Jumpers Because Of A Crippling Fear Of Missing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 22, 2016.

1. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

**** you, dude.

Whatever his flaws, Howard doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Pippen, who was a true piece of ****.

1 person likes this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

3. The Stig

The Stig Member

Media just loves to bash on Dwight. This like the 18th article in 14 days. Is it that easy to be a writer? just take the same s***, fudge some words, and voila! You get your article for the next day.

Anyone know if sports journalism pays well? I'd take a crack at this if I get laid off in my O&G job.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great points, you can shot all day alone or have someone snag rebounds for you. D12 form is horrible and he doesn't care about fixing it or adding to his offensive game.

Goodbye Dwight, thanks for your community efforts.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nailed it, the guy is full of excuses, and is a whiny baby.

Good riddance.

DD

6. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

no comment....smh

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Not to derail, but I don't think Dirk is soft. He can't play defense and I hate the guy, but he ain't soft.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I really don't get why everyone is bashing Dwight. The reporter asked him a question, and instead of giving a typical PR response ("Game never expanded because my strengths lie in the paint. Next question?), Dwight did what athletes tend not to do, and made himself completely transparent.

It's really tiring to hear "we weren't aggressive enough" or "they had more energy" when asked "Why did you lose/why did the other team win?" The answer is clearly "we sucked and the better team won tonight," but athletes hate admitting weakness.

Dwight admits a phobia, and all you keyboard warriors feel empowered, triggering garbage posts, like these:

Da fuq are you talking about? Why doesn't Lillard cheat into the post and try to block a 5's shot? Is he not being the best basketball player he can be? Why doesn't Curry try to bully people in the post? He's definitely not trying to be the best basketball player he can be. Why doesn't Bogut step out constantly and jack up 3s? HE MUST BE A MENTAL MIDGET, AMIRITE? Players play to their strengths. Regardless of how good Lillard is at anticipating shots, or how Bogut is lethal in 1-on-0 situation at shooting 3s, they don't do this because that isn't the strength of their game.

lol OP, you're clearly crazy. Thomas drives in because 1) it's statistically more likely to go in and 2) your bigs have a better shot at rebounding the ball. Why would you, as a 5 who relies on your strength, want to step out and shoot jumpers? Who would be set up to rebound the ball, then?

What in the world does this have to do with anything? You're telling me that if you had a chance to jump to the NBA to make millions of dollars, or to go to college and play for a year to "refine" your game, you'd choose the latter? As if the NBA didn't have resources in which to also refine your game. If you're offered a chance to make millions, you take it. 18/19 years old or not, you ain't getting any younger.

Uh, because he's closer to the basket and can rebound the ball at a more efficient rate if he misses the shot?

I LOVE how people automatically go to the Hakeems and the Jordans to try to compare current players. Apparently, if you're not as good as Hakeem or Jordan, you're garbage. No middle ground.

Btw, I didn't see the word "crippling" anywhere in the responses; all I saw was "fear of failure." Uhh, keyboard warriors...hello? It's human nature to be scared of something.

Let's say Dwight starts taking outside shots, shooting a woeful 5% from the field, or something. You keyboard warriors would then tell him to stop shooting. So Dwight is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't?

You keyboard warriors need to check yourselves. No one is forcing you to watch the Dwight era of the Rockets. If you don't like it, just turn it off and go hop on the Warriors bandwagon.

Should have been "/thread," but apparently people love to pile on, unfortunately.

No need to instigate the keyboard warriors anymore. Too hard to contain the stupidity of the internet, much less in a basketball forum where it's easy to type hateful things with every keystroke.

9. alethios

alethios Member

As long as Dwight continues to doubt himself and psyches himself out all the time, he's going to be limited in his ability to carry a team to a championship. He's dealing with a delicate psyche and immaturity which compels his anxieties even more. I wish that he could address these issues because I think they would have a greater impact on his game than simply practicing something 1000x.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Didn't he shoot a few threes his first couple years here? I remember him saying something like "when you need three, give it to D".

11. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Well to be fair on the media Howard does say a lot of stupid things which ends up provoking the media into writing articles that make him sound like the person he's seen as today. Like the time he said "No matter what im still a champion". I was face palming so hard.

12. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

And it looked better than any 3 Brewer, Smoove or Beasley took.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Same result - CLANK !

DD

14. Harden's beard

Da fuq are you talking about? Lillard and Curry are effective perimeter scorers as well as elite slashers, so in a sense they're capable of scoring from the inside. They both are polished offensive players with no particular need to develop other parts of their game, whereas Dwight's inside game is not effective at all and he also has no outside game. So, why haven't we seen any improvements on other areas besides his awkward post-up? And why do you compare Dwight to Bogut? Is that really how much you think of Dwight offensively? You don't have to develop jumpers if scoring isn't one of your main jobs, or you're just that dominant around the rim like Shaq was. Dwight is neither, so there is really no excuse for him to be this much stagnant offensively throughout his whole career. Also, big guys stretching the floor by taking long jumpers is the current TREND and the league has been moving in that direction for a while now, little guys blocking shots in the paint or posting up is NOT. That's a false equivalence.

Is it inherently statistically more likely that IT's drive would be more effective than Dwight's jumpers? No, IT worked his ass off and consciously developed that part of that game, that's why it's more likely to go in, not because a 5 foot 9 guy driving to the basket is a generally better offensive option than big guys take long jumpers. You are delusional or just stupid if you believe that.

There are plenty of stretch bigs in this league and are becoming increasingly more relevant as spacing has become one of the major themes in modern day basketball. Dwight sucking at jumpers wouldn't be an issue if he was 1) not one of the primary scoring options for his team (which unfortunately he is), and 2) he can simply dominate from the inside. Dwight is neither, so he just has to come to terms with his role being reduced on the offensive end, or develop the outside game because his post-up is becoming less and less effective by every passing year.

15. cmutt

cmutt Member

I'm not defending or justifying why some people say "hateful" things about Howard, because personally... I don't care one bit about whether he has a likeable personality or not. Nor do I care about what his reasons or excuses are for why he is the way that he is... when it comes to the game of basketball.

What I, and many others DO care about is... does Howard justify the 100's of millions of dollars that he's being paid by teams in which he plays for? Does he honor the tradition of the other greats of the game by playing to the fullest of his capabilities? Does he maximize his teams chances of winning? Does he respect the fans, or his teammates, or the game with his dedication and devotion to it?

Between my friends and I, we absolutely never wanted Howard to come to the Rockets. We never thought much of his skills or desire even when he was back with Orlando. And we saw right through the facade that he portrayed of himself through the years, and we knew he was not a true superstar.

You say if we don't like Howard, we don't have to watch or follow our home team... but because we care about our home team so much, we just tried to hope for some form of silver lining once the Rockets brought him here. But all of the hype and hoopla of bringing in all of the old Rockets great big men for PR and whatnot... that was a total joke.

Howard was never, and will never be anywhere near the same level of player that Olajuwan, Moses, Sampson, or Hayes were.

Even still, like most other fans, we waited to see if MAYBE Mchale, Olajuwan, Harden, and a new environment would help Howard, or change him a little.

But nope... same old story. He's satisfied with his money, satisfied with his status, satisfied with his career, and satisfied with his NBA legacy.

He said it himself, he's already a champion... and no one can tell him any different.

Yeah, a champion of mediocrity... and accepting 100+million dollars for it.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Dwight's doing this to himself. No one has to "fudge some words" its all from the horses mouth. Half the stuff he says we all know now isn't true and that's whats damning about his interviews. Well Im not sure whats worse when he lies or tells the truth about himself they are both pretty bad.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Dwight keeps putting himself in the spotlight to allow the media to pile on. Guy just can't help shoving his foot into his yapper. It reminds me of T-Mac. Maybe we should stop getting stars that played in Orlando. It just has NOT worked out for us in its small sample size.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Who wants to bet this is complete BS? Have the Rockets even asked for him to start shooting jumpers?

He must be a wreck mentally if his fear is failure. Because my god Dwight, you have utterly failed your team. He's giving us under $10 million worth of basketball value while being paid $23 million

1 person likes this.
  19. choujie

choujie Member

Instead of practicing 1000 shots a day,he should have practiced 1000 FTs.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What bull****, DD, with all due respect. The Greek was as bad or worse than Dwight. The difference is that he played a different position and was paid a hell of a lot less. In my humble opinion. Placing Howard on the same low level as Pippin is an insult to all longtime fans of our Rockets.