1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should Morey be demoted or given a different role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by by78, May 2, 2016.

1. by78

by78 Rookie

The experience I refer to are the experience of having playing organized basketball on a high level (college or pros), the experience of having been in the locker room and having been in the trenches, having seen first hand what worked and what doesn't, having experienced first hand what chemistry is all about, having seen what temperament gels with what temperament and what types of personalities gets along with what types of personalities, and having the life experience and social acumen to evaluate the maturity level of prospective players.

The list goes on and on, and none of the items on the list is quantifiable and therefore cannot be tallied on a spreadsheet and manipulated using proprietary formulas and equations.

Yeah, basically those types of experiences that someone who cannot accumulate from having occupied a managerial position alone. You know, the 'insider' experience/perspective, as opposed to acamedics.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why do I get teh feeling there's not as many people participating in these threads as there are accounts participating in this thread.

by78 after a year of lurking you seem to have come alive. It's great to meet you son.

3. by78

by78 Rookie

No, it's great to meet you, son.

4. by78

by78 Rookie

By the way, you should take my thread to heart and ask Les to find you an
    assistant/co-GM.

And please, for the love of God, get off twatter.

1 person likes this.
  5. j3i

j3i Member

I just don't know how else you can explain Corey Brewer and sub-par 3pt shooters taking so many 3's in the playoffs. We seem to have a philosophy that we want to follow as a team regardless of whether or not the players even have the appropriate skillset.

I can't prove it though. Maybe JBB on his own really thought Brewer should be shooting those 3's despite his horrible percentages. I wouldn't put it past him.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Didn't we put in KJ to foul in a game and the players did not like it, and JBB said that came from the front office?

Morey is a super smart guy, but when I talk about chemistry I am not necessarily talking about players liking each other, but rather the chemistry of their particular styles melding together.

That is what I mean by chemistry - finding a balance of skillsets that make the whole greater than the parts.

That, IMHO, is where I think Morey falls down.

DD

7. SamFisher

When I talk about CHEMISTRY I am talking about the MIX.

Sometimes the ingredients in chemicals just mix well, IMHO - there is no science behind that.

DD

8. dmoneybangbang

The insider prospective like Kevin Mchale the GM or Isiash Thomas the GM?

So you ascribe to the incorrect narrative that Morey only uses "academics"?

9. SamFisher

Save your breath, you're arguing with a known clone clown account.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I fail to see how it is Morey's fault that the players did not play with any heart or conviction. The talent was there. Enough to win 57 and get to the WCF with Dwight out half the season and two starters out for the playoffs...

I don't doubt that he attempted to test the market for a shakeup, but you can't just pull the trigger on any deal just for a change. That's why they fired McHale. It was too early to trade anyone, and who knows what the market was truly like, so what can you do? The coach is the next best thing to send a message...nonetheless, that message was never received by the Rockets roster.

While I have no doubt that Morey is pushing the organization to focus on 3s and layups, I seriously doubt he has enough control to stop the coach from implementing any sort of system simply so we can rely on the deep and chip shots. People give Morey too much credit and then too much blame.

He is good at what he does. Contracts, stashing assets, and finding solid talent with mid and late picks.

11. dmoneybangbang

Because JBB. JBB also thought it was a good idea to have Livingston shot over Bev.

Morey's philosophy is efficiency, what y'all are seeing is a lack of execution of that philosophy. It's not like our players don't fit, our coaches just can't get them to execute.

12. DaDakota

See that is where you fail, there is no science behind basketball - it is a human condition endeavor - science can track what happened, but the human equation is the toughest variable to any accurate predicting.

Which is why coaches like Popovich are able to fit pieces together so well as they understand how important things like character, and style of play are they find guys that fit - not just are singularly talented and hope they mesh, they know before they sign them if they mesh.

Morey has said that he finds the talent and it is the coaches job to figure out how to make it all work.

A good GM would know that already - if you are getting Lawson (low character guy - strike one) and you don't have a plan for how to use him (Strike 2) or your superstar is unwilling to sacrifice his style of play to make it work (Strike 3) - you strike out.

Morey has been good at flipping and getting value out of some undiscovered players, but letting guys who fit (Parsons) go for cheaper guys who fit a bit less( Ariza) is not advancing the team forward.

I know you and your spread sheet warriors won't understand - it is cool to think that running a calculator well can somehow mean that you could manage a team - but the truth is good basketball people are what seems to be missing and is needed the most.

DD

13. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... Notice how the ignorant always end up resorting to Morey and "calculators, protractors, and spreadsheets". Hallmark characteristics of those who care about narratives instead of facts.

14. SamFisher

[​IMG]

15. DaDakota

Ah, you mean the team that has JERRY WEST as a consultant...THAT team?

That is exactly what some of us are asking our team to do, hire a good basketball guy to help Morey.

What is so wrong with that? It is ok to admit that we might need a more seasoned basketball mind in the org to help.

Rudy T as an example.

Not a single person is saying not to use analytics, not one - most would just like to see someone that understands how playstyles fit, and that character matters - as does coaching.

JVG - Adelman - MHale - Bickerstaff is not trending the right way, now is it?

DD

16. SamFisher

Yes, and the team that hired complete unknown Bob Meyer to serve as GM who had 12 months of experience after they fired career basketball men Don Nelson and Larry Riley.

WHo is the boss? West or Meyer? Answer: Meyer.

17. dmoneybangbang

Bro, why aren't you giving yourself up to the narratives? Just make life simpler!

18. DaDakota

I have said if you want MOREY to stay at top, I would be ok if he got someone in like Battier underneath.

I would prefer a consultant like Rudy T - but Battier might work too.

Just need help.

DD

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think you're making a false assumption he doesn't have basketball personal around him, and that he is insulated from basketball people entirely. With that said, I wouldn't hate having Battier be a bigger part of this organization. Heck, you and I both like him as a coaching candidate. I don't disagree with you, I just feel like there's a lot of assuming in this thread.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Morey is a great GM... but we need a solid coach to run the oncourt gameplan...

I don't think Morey should be dictating the 3 ball/no midrange shots agenda....

Let Morey get the talent - and let the coach decide how to best utilize them...