1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're seeing the end of Moreyball.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fansince80, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Morey went away from what the Rockets used to have, guys with good character and passion, your Scola's, Lowry's, hell even Ron Artest. These are the type of guys that needed to surround Harden, not Dwight.

Analytics, like anything else, can be useful, but it can't evaluate personalities and potential chemistry issues, that kind of stuff develops or it doesn't, this team has had major chemistry issues since Harden arrived.

You keep turning over your roster, and claiming stuff doesn't fit. The players are human, and maybe they keep missing shots because they just don't give a damn, like their #1 guy.

1 person likes this.
  2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Last year we ran the pick and roll with dmo and harden up top. Harden would slip dmo the pocket pass and dmo would take one dribble and find and open shooter.

We're sorely miss this play. It was our best and most run play last year. Dwights problem is he's a terrible passer that's why he's not a really a great player. All the greats have playmaking ability no matter what position. Dmo while no star can pass and knows basketball im sure when he returns him and harden will looks very good I just wonder if the other guys will hit their shots.

I really don't understand why we don't go back to the lineup we used in our 4 game winning streak? Lawson/JH/Thornton/ariza/Howard the defense can't get any worse and atleast we will have some space to let harden and ty make some stuff happen.

3. BigTex

BigTex Member

#1 in 3PA. Dead last in 3 point %. You'd think if we added some more mid range shots we wouldn't have 5+ minute stretches with 0 field goals, which seems to happen every single game

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

this team was assembled like someone playing NBA2k - and we did it REEEALLLY well.

the rest of the league knows this. and so do the fans.

were more talented than most rosters and we still can't get our **** together.
    and in today's cynical society where everyone is just looking for a punchline instead of a story, we're the easy team to hate.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'd just like an end to ****ty role players.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Remember all the talk of the Rockets great depth?

*sigh*...

7. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

T-Jones is horrible. I would love to know the amount of missed rim shots, and then compare it to other starting PF's

8. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

How about Thornton taking 12 shots... and making 2

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I didn't say it wasn't Morey's fault - my point was that he figured out how to cheat the game of basketball by taking advantage of the math of the game and he is right....but his job is then to find a roster that suits the style and in that way, he has failed at either building this roster in a way that suits the style or adapting to a new style that better fits the roster(which borders on decisions the coach should be making).

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

exactly. Its funny to me that people think rebuilding again is going to work. Who da hell do you think is going to rebuild it again? Morey

1 person likes this.
  11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Some of us warned you from the very beginning that Maury would not succeed, but many refused to listen. His approach has failed. A fluke WCF Finals appearance as a result of a perfect storm doesn't change anything, especially as reality is currently smacking everyone in the face.

12. MtthwPnngbtn

MtthwPnngbtn Member

I like Morey. I don't think he should go anywhere. He is a good GM however the system of jacking 3s ect ect isn't working. Need a damn good coach. But before that, lets just see how this season plays out. I am shipping for J.B to somehow figure out this team. And if he can't, then I'd be damn :c

13. MFG16

MFG16 Member

That's the problem. Morey IS the coach. The entire team philosophy is his baby and he's only going to hire a coach that either conforms to his philosophy or someone he can completely control. The jacking up 3s gameplan isn't going anywhere while Morey is still here. What makes it worse is he acquired a bunch of players who don't fit the philosophy.

1 person likes this.
  14. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Do harden and Howard like each other? I've never seen them talk or high five or anything.

15. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I am a huge Morey fan, but I think Morey himself would have himself fired. It didn't work out. All of his moves were solid. It was a 2k roster basically. I just don't think he put enough weight into character/culture fit guys I guess. Who can blame him though, why wouldn't you try build around Harden who we basically stole? He was so good at points last year too. But this bet just doesn't seem like it'll pay off right now. I don't think it was a bad bet to make at all, and I would want them to do the same every time. Just really sucks that it might not work out.

In the meantime I'm gonna keep pulling for this team to turn it around. Go rockets!

3 people like this.
  16. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be anywhere near 30 wins this year :/

17. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Don't forget the one where they said you can't help but play sloppy if you're playing with Houston. We need some changes now! Time for les to let Morey go.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yeah, OP's thread title and post don't even remotely match. Nothing you said was a referendum against Moreyball

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kwame your warnings are epic

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

"Moreyball" the philosophy of 3 point shooting and small ball is certainly NOT at its end. Its that the Rockets somehow arent getting the players for it and dont execute it well.

Golden State's deadliest lineup is a small ball unit with Draymond Green at center and Iguodala at the 4.
    www.businessinsider.com/nba-cant-figure-out-warriors-small-ball-2015-11

If this roster cant execute it then they need to find players that will, or try another approach. I dont think Morey would mind if a "traditional" approach works right now