1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bosh or Gasol: Who was better?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, Aug 3, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im in this basketball group on FB and guys post these random who was the better player of two players who are similar

Today somone posted Chris Bosh and Pau Gasol. I immediately thought Pau but he and Boshhad similar careers especially with being the star on a team to start. Also they'rer contemporaries.

#1 pgabriel, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The reason i posted this is i was remembering the uproar here because of the Kwame Brown Gasol trade so they even have that similarity in the forum with Bosh going to Miami

3. HardenVolumeOne

Pau Gasol was very underrated, he was rotting away in Memphis but on the lakers he was very clutch for the lakers and always gave the rockets hell

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Gasol: Incredibly consistent, underrated 3 point shooter, never really got to show it. Cheaper than Bosh (made $30M less over 3 more seasons with a high of 19.2M to Bosh's 26.8M). Soft on defense but drew a lot of fouls by yelling like an ostrich and played great positional defense. He's an ideal 3rd star who doesn't need the ball in his hands but can spread the floor, and could be a star when required.

Bosh: more inconsistent but higher highs than Gasol. Also a decent 3 point shooter on low volume (but more volume than Pau). Bosh had more blocks & steals consistently, but the advanced metrics (Defensive Box Plus Minus) love Gasol a lot more. Bosh was a volume scoring versatile forward, maybe like LaMarcus Aldridge or Rasheed Wallace. A great 3rd piece.

Overall box plus-minus shows Pau's teams being +3.6 over 100 possessions versus +1.9 for Bosh (he was actually always 1.3/0.8/1.3/0.8/1.3 on those Miami teams. (Even Dwert's career BPM is 2.1. He had some monster figures from 06-12.)

I like Bosh as a player a lot, but Gasol's price tag is right for a third guy while Bosh's was very high during his Miami days. Would be something like $35-38M now as a % of the cap.

AXG, baller4life315, Handles and 5 others like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

bosh in nba live and 2k was sick.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Gasol.

He was the best player on the team that won the Championship Series against Boston.... he should have been Finals MVP..... he also had to play Dwight Howard in his prime and then KG in the two title series and held his own.

I really liked Bosh..... but he has become somewhat over rated.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is a good comparison debate. The two have very different style but quite close in terms of individual value.

Bosh is a more talented scorer. Gasol is a better all around player with high BBIQ. Both are very accomplished floppers.

don grahamleone, JumpMan and pgabriel like this.
  8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Probably Gasol for the reasons already stated.

Would have been interesting to see what would have been of Bosh's career if he didn't become a third-wheel, unsung hero on the Heatles and if his heart wouldn't have betrayed him.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

At their respective peaks.. no doubt Bosh but for their careers they’re about the same. Bosh was leading those Raptors teams to playoff runs. Pau was never quite that level.

pgabriel likes this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not even a question. Pau Gasol is way better than Chris Bosh.

Pau had the grizzlies as the 4th seed in the loaded west one year and Bosh struggled to make playoffs in a bad East. Bosh put up big numbers that didn’t translate to wins. Gasol on the other hand was the ultimate winner. Won at almost every level he played. Even led Spain to wins over a dream team. One of the most efficient scorers.

Bosh is severely overrated.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand Memphis is in the West but i can never understand how Pau was so prominent as the second best player on championship Laker teams and Memphis was so bad

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You got this backwards. The Raptors only made the playoffs twice in the weaker Eastern conference with Bosh. All first round exits. Even out right missed the playoffs before he jumped to Miami.

Gasol on the other hand led Memphis to a 50 win season and had the Grizzlies in playoffs three straight years. But they just lost to superior teams, Suns mavs and spurs.

pgabriel likes this.
  13. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Gasol had a whole country on his shoulders and had ice in his veins. No question who I'd rather start a team with.

14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Bosh obviously. He won a few playoff games on his own in Toronto while Pau Gasol got swept multiple times when he was the alpha in Memphis

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bosh but I think Gasol was the better 'team role player' deferring to others, Bosh wasn't a slouch either being the 3rd option.

Bosh the better raw scorer.

Gasol the better rebounder.

There were also their peers KG, Duncan amd Dirk.

#15 daywalker02, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Jontro likes this.
  16. Fefo

Fefo Member

Gasol and its not really close.
    Gasol was an incredible passer, he had waaay more moves that bosh and all around a winner at every level.
    Bosh was a great player, and i think hes bigger strengh was realizing he was third banana and play well to that role, but at his peak, Gasol was considered the best power forward in the league by some( not sure for me, but definitely top 3), while bosh was never there.
    People that compare players just by stats will think that Whiteside is a great player, when in reality he is a blackhole. You just have to see some players play to fully understand their value and skill level.

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

BOSH.

Yall remember the HEAT Bosh. Not the RAPTORS Bosh.

Bosh had his game GUTTED in Miami where they didn't even have an offensive scheme.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  18. Handles

Handles Member

I think the edge potentially could have gone to Bosh if he weren’t relegated to third wheel in Miami. Would have loved to see Bosh be #2 somewhere to see how far he could go with that level of usage.

Gasol had his chance with the lakers and he proved himself. Bosh won as third banana. It’s crazy but that really weighs on my opinion. Gasol was also a better rebounder, so there’s that too.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bosh's nos are inflated as he was playing in the LEastern conference during the time it was one of the weakest in the modern NBA era. Dwight was like 20 15 a night or something crazy.

Gasol isn't just a 3rd star he is a legit 2nd banana. His Memphis teams faced a crazy Western team you had Rox, Mavs, Spurs, Jazz, PHX, hell even NO had Cp3 and Tyson Chandler and Lakers had Kobe, Odom and Bynum.

No comparison between the two Gasol is much, much better.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All true in a way, but one aspect people forget is that Gasol lost most of his athleticism pretty early.

He didn't jump off the ground high.

I don't have to insert the sequence where Blake Griffin goes past him and he plays the clown.

Bosh for the better shotblocker.